Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:55 PM

62 posts, read 113,684 times

Advertisements

2 b honest i am glad we do not have sidewalks
in suffolk cty
sidewalks are 2 much like "the city" 4 my tastes
they bring 2 many undesiaraable ppl
we had this problem all the time in nassau cty

sometimes late at night we wuld hear teenagers being loud walking down the street
they even yelled curse words sometimes
possibly they were drug users
or children from single parent households w/no cerfew

1 time an ethnic/urban youth came 2 our door trying 2 sell snickers kit-kat bars m&ms gobstoppers
4 "a summer basketball camp"
they were in a big plastic container that looked like mayb it was stolen from the post office
the candy looked yummy but i was 2 scared it may b poisoned/expeired

many times we had "the jahova witness" ppl come knock at the door
it made me 2 uncomfortable
i did not want 2 consider their pamphlet/notions abt jesus christ
i already go 2 a local church on major holidays
no thank u

if ppl want 2 walk in ur neighborhood
mayb they can buy a treadmill and have it delivered/professionally installed
in their basement
so they can watch tv programs while they walk
or possibly if they r "lower middle class" purchase a membership
4 their local planet fitness/synergy/ymca gym
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 05:30 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I know someone in Massapequa Park who got a ticket for not shoveling. This, after he actually did shovel and then some doofus plow operator piled the snow too high and it fell over onto the sidewalk, thus negating his effort. I wrote about it on here last winter.
Best clean up that Bronx Carpet carpet quick or Peter Kings gonna teabag you.

; )

I think Suffolk should go with footpaths to troll on instead.

Crooks

Old 08-10-2011, 06:02 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long island POSTER View Post
2 b honest i am glad we do not have sidewalks
in suffolk cty
sidewalks are 2 much like "the city" 4 my tastes
they bring 2 many undesiaraable ppl
we had this problem all the time in nassau cty

sometimes late at night we wuld hear teenagers being loud walking down the street
they even yelled curse words sometimes
possibly they were drug users
or children from single parent households w/no cerfew

1 time an ethnic/urban youth came 2 our door trying 2 sell snickers kit-kat bars m&ms gobstoppers
4 "a summer basketball camp"
they were in a big plastic container that looked like mayb it was stolen from the post office
the candy looked yummy but i was 2 scared it may b poisoned/expeired

many times we had "the jahova witness" ppl come knock at the door
it made me 2 uncomfortable
i did not want 2 consider their pamphlet/notions abt jesus christ
i already go 2 a local church on major holidays
no thank u

if ppl want 2 walk in ur neighborhood
mayb they can buy a treadmill and have it delivered/professionally installed
in their basement
so they can watch tv programs while they walk
or possibly if they r "lower middle class" purchase a membership
4 their local planet fitness/synergy/ymca gym
You are kidding me right? people are going to walk the streets, knock on your door ect.. with or without sidewalks. How do you know that teens walking in the streets at night are drug users? Did you ask them?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:40 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,162 times
The only plus to not having a sidewalk is to shovel less when it snows...which happens how many times per year again? Having a sidewalk is a great thing. I for one rather walk on the sidewalk than walk in the road. And I would rather my kids do the same.

Not getting hit by a car is the only reason you need to build them.

Now I am not complaining. So all you with the smart mouth can shut it. It is what it is and I am sure it has been that way for years. It's just that IMO the place look "unfinished" without them and it is way safer to walk on sidewalks than to walk in the middle of the road dodging cars.

But it is good to see how viciously you guys defend your territory.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:59 PM

347 posts, read 1,352,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
The only plus to not having a sidewalk is to shovel less when it snows...which happens how many times per year again? Having a sidewalk is a great thing. I for one rather walk on the sidewalk than walk in the road. And I would rather my kids do the same.

Now I am not complaining. So all you with the smart mouth can shut it. It is what it is and I am sure it has been that way for years. It's just that IMO the place look "unfinished" without them and it is way safer to walk on sidewalks than to walk in the middle of the road dodging cars.

But it is good to see how viciously you guys defend your territory.
My neighborhood has sidewalks and NOBODY shovels them after a snowstorm!

Old 08-10-2011, 11:39 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:

Now I am not complaining. So all you with the smart mouth can shut it.
Go back to the cracked slab that is currently Nassau, soon to be Queens II. We don't care whether you think the place looks unfinished. You get the Coliseum mess and we'll keep the vineyards and pine barrens.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,384 times
Being a lifelong resident of Suffolk I don't really understand the hype about sidewalks. Most of the streets in my neighborhood are very infrequently traveled by cars so there is really no problem with walking near the side of the road. Most of the neighborhoods I've lived in have had driveways that accommodate more than enough cars so the streets aren't lined with cars on both sides belonging to the tenants in the illegal apartments that so many nassau residents have in their home to try to cover their giant monthly nut.
I was just in Seaford last weekend at a BBQ and there was barely enough space for one car to get down the street with the cars on both sides, it was actually dangerous.
You will probably find more pedestrians, runners and cyclists in the Hamptons than anywhere else on LI, yet they don't have sidewalks or curbs in most spots for that matter and i hardly think it looks unfinished.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:02 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,162 times
Quote:
Go back to the cracked slab that is currently Nassau, soon to be Queens II. We don't care whether you think the place looks unfinished. You get the Coliseum mess and we'll keep the vineyards and pine barrens.
Was that supposed to be an insult?

Ok ok I admit. I'm hurt

Seriously

I hope you keep in mind that a few decades ago, queens didn't have the population it now has.

Long island was even worse.

So which county do you think will become queens III? You better start the packing...

Old 08-11-2011, 02:14 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
So which county do you think will become queens III? You better start the packing...
Don't worry, we'll be long gone by then.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,606 times
Quote:
Don't worry, we'll be long gone by then.
nah, we'll just be in underwater cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island