Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
No but I visit frequently...it would be nice to be able to go indoors during the winter months.
C'mon, we know you like writing your name in the snow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
The only plus to not having a sidewalk is to shovel less when it snows...which happens how many times per year again? Having a sidewalk is a great thing. I for one rather walk on the sidewalk than walk in the road. And I would rather my kids do the same.

Not getting hit by a car is the only reason you need to build them.

Now I am not complaining. So all you with the smart mouth can shut it. It is what it is and I am sure it has been that way for years. It's just that IMO the place look "unfinished" without them and it is way safer to walk on sidewalks than to walk in the middle of the road dodging cars.

But it is good to see how viciously you guys defend your territory.
I don't recall seeing sidewalks in Mill Neck or Oyster Bay Cove, Lattingtown or Old Brookville. Somehow these areas don't appear "unfinished" but look far less urban than many of the sidewalk laden areas of Nassau.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:28 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I don't recall seeing sidewalks in Mill Neck or Oyster Bay Cove, Lattingtown or Old Brookville. Somehow these areas don't appear "unfinished" but look far less urban than many of the sidewalk laden areas of Nassau.
+1

Old 08-15-2011, 07:10 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
In Suffolk where there are side walks 75% of people Jogging and even walking are out in the street from what I observe.This is some thing I can't figure out ??

Old 08-15-2011, 01:54 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
i'm curious, how do most people make a living in suffolk? or how do those who dont commute to manhattan make a living? is there a job market in suffolk county (outside the normal doctors, cops, etc that u find everywhere) or is it mostly people starting small businesses? the COL is still very high out there and I never understood how people made that kind of money in suffolk

Old 08-15-2011, 02:23 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
In Suffolk where there are side walks 75% of people Jogging and even walking are out in the street from what I observe.This is some thing I can't figure out ??
- sidewalks are made of concrete not asphalt...asphalt is less likely to be uneven and have cracks...both of which can cause ankle and knee injuries.

- Asphalt also feels more giving (softer)....maybe it's the collective effect of asphalt having tiny unfilled-in areas which concrete doesn't have.

- sidewalks are often obstructed by overgrown bushes, utility poles, debris (garbage cans, brush) which makes jogging feel a bit like an obstacle course...also, it's harder to jog with someone and carry on a conversation or to help set a pace

- jogging over curbs or onto lawns (to pass a pedestrian) can cause injury

- jogging in the street is hazardous but the chances of running into a pedestrian or a car backing out of a driveway is much greater if one jogs on the sidewalk...especially where overgrown bushes are present

I'm not saying any or all of these reasons are good but these might be reasons why joggers jog in the street. BTW, my father was walking on the sidewalk when he was killed by a drunk driver...nothing is guaranteed.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:30 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
i'm curious, how do most people make a living in suffolk? or how do those who dont commute to manhattan make a living? is there a job market in suffolk county (outside the normal doctors, cops, etc that u find everywhere) or is it mostly people starting small businesses? the COL is still very high out there and I never understood how people made that kind of money in suffolk

The COL is high in the western part of suffolk. Once you get to eastern Suffolk the cost of living goes down by a lot. The problem is that to live in easter Suffolk you really have to work in suffolk county because the drive to nassau or the city would stink.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:40 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
The COL is high in the western part of suffolk. Once you get to eastern Suffolk the cost of living goes down by a lot. The problem is that to live in easter Suffolk you really have to work in suffolk county because the drive to nassau or the city would stink.
where does eastern suffolk start? my sister lives in setauket which i considered pretty far east but her very modest home was over 600k. she is a work from home lawyer and her husband bought an accounting practice but i just never understood the job market out there. her communte to nyc was absurd when she did it so i would think the stonybrook area is too far for most to rely on nyc jobs

Old 08-15-2011, 02:44 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
where does eastern suffolk start?
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...sland-end.html

Old 08-15-2011, 05:25 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Those were kids who went to private school when the district cut them back to the limits prescribed by the state instead of indulging them with the longer commutes. See, this is what happens when you give an inch.

When I lived in GC, almost everyone in elementary school got a bus. Then the district realized they weren't in compliance with state law for busing limits and hey, they could save a buck by getting in line with the law. Of course there was a huge outcry.
So now the roads will be clogged in the morning and afternoon as parents drive the kids. This happened in California which added to the already-considerable traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island