U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 PM

396 posts, read 851,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting thread with good information. What about Inwood, Uniondale, North Bay Shore, Riverhead, Shirley, Glen Cove and Gordon Heights?
Riverhead on the north shore is very nice. I only have one experience with Inwood. Wasn't very nice. Shirley has random streets that are well maintained. Really can't comment on the others.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-13-2011, 05:24 AM

136 posts, read 450,978 times
How many times can this same topic/thread be posted? Every other day it seems essentially this same thread is made.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:14 AM

54 posts, read 297,587 times
Thanks for all the answers.

Any input on Huntington station?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:30 PM

3,875 posts, read 8,157,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheIslanders50 View Post

I think the southeastern part is good, east of Lenox Road (the eastern border of Huntington Station is Park Avenue). I think the area by Maplewood Road is also good.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:56 PM

371 posts, read 656,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I never understood people saying Uniondale is a bad neighborhood. Like any community, it has its "blah" parts but it's actually pretty nice. Of course, comparing it to other LI towns, it pales in comparison but its not bad, per se.

Back on topic, I would say anything north of Jerusalem Avenue and west of Uniondale Avenue is nice. It gets nicer when you get north of Front Street. There's a cul-de-sac called Delano Park off Front Street that's pretty nice. I also like the area immediately north of Walnut Street School (Compass Street, Leslie Lane, etc).

The bad parts of Uniondale are the parts closer to Roosevelt and (to a degree) Hempstead.

Edit: For the matter, I don't think Freeport belongs on the list either. The Stern's Park area is drop dead gorgeous. It's also nice south of Merrick Road. The main bad area is just east of Main Street and north of Sunrise Highway.
Well around here minority neighborhoods are considered bad...

I have family in Uniondale and I spend a lot of time there and I've never seen anything bad there.

As for Freeport, I grew up there on the south side and its nice, but I agree that the Stearns park section is gorgeous. It has to be the nicest looking area in Nassau for the price.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:51 AM

1,610 posts, read 4,266,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheIslanders50 View Post

The very outskirts of the station might yield some nice areas but the main parts like rt 110,depot rd etc. are not very nice with mobs of day workers clogging the side walks not to mention the crimes and recent shootings that the authorities can't seem to control.Coming into that area is like you were dropped into the worse parts of the Bronx or Queens.Lets hope the coming election will put some new members on the town board that will correct this situation it is really BAD!

Old 10-01-2011, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,937 times
just goto any town your interested in and drive on a 1 lane wide street doing the speed limit and see if more than a couple of drivers try to make 2 lanes out of the one lane street your driving on (passing you at 80+ miles an hour) thats usually a good determination of how much of a crappy neighborhood it is

Old 10-01-2011, 07:13 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,411,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by out in 20 View Post
just goto any town your interested in and drive on a 1 lane wide street doing the speed limit and see if more than a couple of drivers try to make 2 lanes out of the one lane street your driving on (passing you at 80+ miles an hour) thats usually a good determination of how much of a crappy neighborhood it is
That happened to me in Garden City once...

Old 10-05-2011, 02:40 PM

247 posts, read 455,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by out in 20 View Post
This happened to me in Hewlett this morning... DARN middle-aged Jewish women!

Seriously, that's a silly statement. It has also happened to me in Oceanside on my way to work. I think people EVERYWHERE do this. I do admit that in the "worse" areas, people tend to drive worse.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:12 PM

18,693 posts, read 23,240,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred5 View Post
How many times can this same topic/thread be posted? Every other day it seems essentially this same thread is made.
I mean really do we need another thread on which areas are bad on LI?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island