U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 PM

4,315 posts, read 7,549,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I mean really do we need another thread on which areas are bad on LI?
good point!

While you're at it, why don't you bump your "best pizza places" thread.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-05-2011, 04:06 PM

18,687 posts, read 23,235,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
good point!

While you're at it, why don't you bump your "best pizza places" thread.
Nah you can do that

Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 AM

757 posts, read 1,367,704 times
I was looking at houses by the belmont lake section of north/west babylon and actually talked to a homeowner. That section ahs a TON of crime that goes unreported. The police station is pretty far from there and since the park is in the way its hard for police to get there in time. So while they neighborhood may look nice looks can be deceiving.

I work in huntington. The farther you get from 110/ and the train station the better it gets. So try to get closer to huntington main street area or jericho turnpike. For the southern part the South huntington school district is better (then right by the train station).

Also for gordon heights there is no NICE section there. Now Coram ,and medford there are nice sections . Gordon Heights itself is small and any nice area anybody comes up with is most likely to be in one of the surrounding areas.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 AM

65,491 posts, read 91,302,416 times
What kind of crime goes unreported in the Belmont Lake area? Does it involve people that live there or from just outside of the area? Are they larcenies, which can vary greatly?

Also, if the police know this, why aren't haven't they stepped up patrols in the area?

Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 PM

25,508 posts, read 38,940,896 times
How bad can it be? It's Long Island for Christ sake.

Out of curiosity I was browsing MSLI and I saw a 4 bedroom with a circular driveway on Long Island Avenue in Wyandanch for $100K. Walking distance to the LIRR and 1 hour commute to Penn Station...had me really re-thinking this beachside living for a second.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 30,378,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

Out of curiosity I was browsing MSLI and I saw a 4 bedroom with a circular driveway on Long Island Avenue in Wyandanch for $100K. Walking distance to the LIRR and 1 hour commute to Penn Station...had me really re-thinking this beachside living for a second.
I would advise you to stay at the beach, especially if everybody works and is out all day. I knew a couple who got a HUD house that needed minor work in Wyandanch. They moved in and were trying to fix it up on the weekends. Just about every week while they were both at work there were break-ins to the house and stuff was stolen. After rebuying household goods and building supplies multiple times they realized things weren't going to get better and they abandoned the house (gave it back to HUD). It seems the "neighborly" way over there is as follows: if the neighbor works, go steal his stuff while he's out working!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:40 PM

3,875 posts, read 8,156,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I would advise you to stay at the beach, especially if everybody works and is out all day. I knew a couple who got a HUD house that needed minor work in Wyandanch. They moved in and were trying to fix it up on the weekends. Just about every week while they were both at work there were break-ins to the house and stuff was stolen. After rebuying household goods and building supplies multiple times they realized things weren't going to get better and they abandoned the house (gave it back to HUD). It seems the "neighborly" way over there is as follows: if the neighbor works, go steal his stuff while he's out working!
But you have to consider he lives in Arverne (it says it in his profile), next to housing projects (he mentioned it in the NYC forum), so it's easily more "hood" than Wyandanch.

The difference is that since he lives in an apartment, it's harder to break in.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
get out here much?

Old 10-10-2011, 03:45 PM

this probably doesn't belong here, but the neighborhood near the Westwood LIRR stop always seems like it was dropped in from somewhere else. Not that the surrounding area is bad (it isn't), but it just seems sort of different from the other neighborhoods in that part of LI.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 PM

16,408 posts, read 30,378,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
But you have to consider he lives in Arverne (it says it in his profile), next to housing projects (he mentioned it in the NYC forum), so it's easily more "hood" than Wyandanch.

The difference is that since he lives in an apartment, it's harder to break in.
It's easier to keep a low profile in an apartment in Arverne than in a single-family house with the neighbors seeing everything you have (your cars, what stores make deliveries to your house, what bags you carry in, etc.) and watching your comings and goings. Wyandanch is a different kind of hood than Arverne with an attitude of the poor in the neighborhood have a duty to prey on their working and middle class neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island