U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 30,491,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
this probably doesn't belong here, but the neighborhood near the Westwood LIRR stop always seems like it was dropped in from somewhere else. Not that the surrounding area is bad (it isn't), but it just seems sort of different from the other neighborhoods in that part of LI.
Is that a typo? Westwood Station is in a very quiet middle-class neighborhood of Malverne. What's so "off" about it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westwood_(LIRR_station)
Rate this post positively

Old 10-10-2011, 02:58 PM

4,370 posts, read 7,601,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Is that a typo? Westwood Station is in a very quiet middle-class neighborhood of Malverne. What's so "off" about it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westwood_(LIRR_station)
I didn't say it was "off". I said it seems different (I meant that in a good way). Perhaps it's the leafy streets or the architecture of the homes. Seems like its from a different era. Or belongs in Westchester. The park/open space surroudning the LIRR stop contributes to this as well IMO. You just don't see that in many other places around here.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:22 PM

26,219 posts, read 39,304,248 times
Quote:
get out here much?
Nassau, yes. Suffolk, no...thats why Im asking.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-10-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I would advise you to stay at the beach, especially if everybody works and is out all day. I knew a couple who got a HUD house that needed minor work in Wyandanch. They moved in and were trying to fix it up on the weekends. Just about every week while they were both at work there were break-ins to the house and stuff was stolen. After rebuying household goods and building supplies multiple times they realized things weren't going to get better and they abandoned the house (gave it back to HUD). It seems the "neighborly" way over there is as follows: if the neighbor works, go steal his stuff while he's out working!
Lots of burglary there?

Old 10-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
But you have to consider he lives in Arverne (it says it in his profile), next to housing projects (he mentioned it in the NYC forum), so it's easily more "hood" than Wyandanch.

The difference is that since he lives in an apartment, it's harder to break in.
That is true. See my profile pic. Projects right across the street.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 30,491,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lots of burglary there?
Not just home burglaries. Literally ANYTHING from ANYWHERE that can be stolen is fair game for too many of the residents of Wyandanch.

For example:

Police: Town pool fixtures, chairs stolen
Search Result item

Quote:
Police said the employee saw the foursome steal blue pool chairs, copper wiring and assorted bathroom fixtures from the Geiger Lake Town Pool on West 23rd Street at about 11:40 a.m. The worker called 911.
Note the time! Late morning and the pool is open and they're stealing pool chairs and ripping out copper wiring and bathroom fixtures! This is the kind of crap the unwary "2-income" Wyandanch homeowners are up against over there ... people who stay home and steal for a living.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:06 PM

18,776 posts, read 23,424,371 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was "off". I said it seems different (I meant that in a good way). Perhaps it's the leafy streets or the architecture of the homes. Seems like its from a different era. Or belongs in Westchester. The park/open space surroudning the LIRR stop contributes to this as well IMO. You just don't see that in many other places around here.
I know that area well, and it is different but in a good way like SIB said. It doesn't match.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:37 PM

66,245 posts, read 92,115,456 times
Quote:
Not just home burglaries. Literally ANYTHING from ANYWHERE that can be stolen is fair game for too many of the residents of Wyandanch.

For example:

Police: Town pool fixtures, chairs stolen
Search Result item

Note the time! Late morning and the pool is open and they're stealing pool chairs and ripping out copper wiring and bathroom fixtures! This is the kind of crap the unwary "2-income" Wyandanch homeowners are up against over there ... people who stay home and steal for a living.
So there are a lot of larcenies and some breaking and entering action?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Wow that sucks....I guess if I lived there I would buy a large dog???

Old 09-20-2013, 07:02 AM

45 posts, read 76,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Inwood: Nicest part I would say is the area surrounding the country club. Mosquitoes are downright annoying over there however, due to the proximity to Jamaica Bay. But the homes are really nice and well kept.
SeventhFloor the area of Inwood has changed so drastically over the years I don't believe it's the same Inwood it was when I grew up there. The crime rate in Inwood has shot up so drastically it's a relief I got out of there when I did. So many businesses are gone and have been replaced I wouldn't even feel like I was in the same Inwood that I spent my childhood years in. The worst part of Inwood IMO is the area east of the Nassau Expressway bordering Lawrence. Houses are not as nice on that side of Inwood and many incidents happen in that area. I remember reading the Nassau Herald, and there was a young guy who was killed by a gang on the corner of Bayview Ave. and Lawrence Ave. Granted that's actually Lawrence and not Inwood but if you walk no more than 20 feet west of there you're back in Inwood. I also remember hearing about the guy who was murdered at Five Towns Toyota on the corner of Burnside Ave. and Lawrence Ave. Also a woman was stabbed on the very block I grew up on in Inwood, and she was stabbed while holding a baby in her arms, that was the story that really hit me the hardest. Finally Sobol's Beer Distributor which was around the corner from my house was held at gunpoint a couple of years ago. Believe me Inwood is not what it used to be, it pains me to say that the neighborhood really changed for the worse, and I'm happy I got out of there when I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island