Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 02:15 PM

54 posts, read 336,134 times

Advertisements

Are there any good areas in the towns and cities of the island deemed undesirable by most of us folk?

Like does Hempstead, wyndanche, bellport, freeport, mastick, north amityville, brentwood, roosevelt and others have any nice lookin sections?

Old 08-12-2011, 02:24 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,317 times
Freeport is very nice near the water; the area near Baldwin is an upper middle class Black area.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:28 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Cathedral Gardens section of Hempstead.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:43 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Cathedral Gardens section of Hempstead.
Very nice

Old 08-12-2011, 03:01 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheIslanders50 View Post
Are there any good areas in the towns and cities of the island deemed undesirable by most of us folk?

Like does Hempstead, wyndanche, bellport, freeport, mastick, north amityville, brentwood, roosevelt and others have any nice lookin sections?
Let's see:

Hempstead: The part of Hempstead west of Cathedral Ave is nice, it might be the "Cathedral Gardens" other users were referring to.

Wyandanch: There are no nice looking areas within the actual hamlet of Wyandanch (though there are some blocks that are ALRIGHT). Wheatley Heights that borders Wyandanch to the north is very nice-looking (especially the parts closer to the Dix Hills border), Wheatley Hts is a very diverse upper middle class to middle class community (the largest group is black though it's still diverse). The Belmont section of North Babylon/West Babylon that borders Wyandanch to the south is nice also, it is located west of Belmont Lake State Park and north of the Southern State Pkwy, it's a middle class majority-black community (almost all of it is nice except for the part in-between Little East Neck rd and Hilltop Ave which is not so good looking as well as the neglected homes [probably rentals] directly on straight path).

Bellport: Bellport itself is mainly affluent to middle class, I assume you were referring to North Bellport. North Bellport is only run-down between Sunrise Hwy and Montauk Hwy, the other parts of the hamlet of North Bellport are decent looking middle class areas. Even in that "run-down" part there blocks of newer homes.

Freeport: Freeport near the ocean is nice. It's a diverse coastal community with mainly well-maintained homes (the largest group is white in this section though still diverse). I think it's called Nautical Mile.

Mastic: I'm not sure about here but I would imagine that near the ocean would be nicer than the rest of it but since i've never really been here I can't comment on this particular place.

North Amityville: The whole northern half of the hamlet of North Amityville (minus the trailer parks) is fairly decent looking, I think the northern half looks no different from neighboring 'Town of Babylon' hamlets in terms of the housing stock and how well-maintained it is. There is an area that most residents refer to as "New Homes" (though the homes aren't really new anymore), this area is stunning, people clearly put a lot of money into their homes. This area is located off of Albany Ave before the North Amityville Pool. The streets here have names like Sunshine Ln, Rainbow Ln, Jeatom Ln, Autumn Ln; there is another new large luxury subdivision under construction as well, this subdivision is a little closer to the Pool than the older subdivision.

Brentwood: The area around Brentwood Pkwy/Country Club is beautiful.

Roosevelt: The area near Smith Pond is very well-maintained. The part of Roosevelt east of Park Ave and north of Grenada is fairly nice looking. There is also a section of Roosevelt off of N. Brookside Ave around Westbrook Ln and Greenwich Ave, I think this section can pass as a typical middle class Nassau County neighborhood.

Some communities you didn't mention:

Westbury/New Cassel: The area north of the Northern State Parkway (and south of Jerico Turnpike) of Westbury is upper middle class and very diverse (with Blacks being the largest group).

Central Islip: Near the Courthouse is beautiful, a lot of newly built condo's. The area around Connetquot ave is very nice, the property there seems to have a lot of land.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 08-12-2011 at 04:26 PM..

Old 08-12-2011, 04:13 PM

93,178 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Interesting thread with good information. What about Inwood, Uniondale, North Bay Shore, Riverhead, Shirley, Glen Cove and Gordon Heights?

Old 08-12-2011, 04:35 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting thread with good information. What about Inwood, Uniondale, North Bay Shore, Riverhead, Shirley, Glen Cove and Gordon Heights?
Uniondale: None of Uniondale is bad-looking to the best of my knowledge but none of it is really that nice either; it's just a plain area. One good thing about it is that most people keep their lawns neat. It's biggest issue is the School District performance, though the School District is not as bad as Roosevelt or Wyandanch.

North Bay Shore: I think it is identical to the rest of B-Wood and Central Islip; worn long island hamlet that has seen better days. I went with a friend who was going to an open house around there and there were some very big luxurious-looking homes being built in a subdivision-like area but for the most part, I wouldn't call it a nice area.

(I don't know much or anything about the other communities you listed).

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 08-12-2011 at 05:55 PM..

Old 08-12-2011, 06:43 PM

34,012 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Inwood: Nicest part I would say is the area surrounding the country club. Mosquitoes are downright annoying over there however, due to the proximity to Jamaica Bay. But the homes are really nice and well kept.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 PM

90 posts, read 218,211 times
how about Selden

Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
I never understood people saying Uniondale is a bad neighborhood. Like any community, it has its "blah" parts but it's actually pretty nice. Of course, comparing it to other LI towns, it pales in comparison but its not bad, per se.

Back on topic, I would say anything north of Jerusalem Avenue and west of Uniondale Avenue is nice. It gets nicer when you get north of Front Street. There's a cul-de-sac called Delano Park off Front Street that's pretty nice. I also like the area immediately north of Walnut Street School (Compass Street, Leslie Lane, etc).

The bad parts of Uniondale are the parts closer to Roosevelt and (to a degree) Hempstead.

Edit: For the matter, I don't think Freeport belongs on the list either. The Stern's Park area is drop dead gorgeous. It's also nice south of Merrick Road. The main bad area is just east of Main Street and north of Sunrise Highway.

Last edited by bigjretrac; 08-12-2011 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Freeport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island