Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 04:45 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,995,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Regarding your comment about our upbringings, there's no need to get all high and mighty to make a point. I also grew up close to my family-- family dinners, family vacations, family prayer, family games, weekends together, etc. The thing is, my parents also told me that I can't always get everything I want and that life is full of compromises. They also taught me that complaining doesn't solve anything.

So, please, don't extrapolate things about the upbringing of strangers on a forum.
I wasn't trying to be all high and mightly. Sorry if I came across that way. Also, I wasn't trying to complain in this particular thread, although I have complained in threads in the past.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:55 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,713,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I wasn't trying to be all high and mightly. Sorry if I came across that way. Also, I wasn't trying to complain in this particular thread, although I have complained in threads in the past.
Okay, I must've misread your post. No hard feelings?

Old 10-19-2013, 07:09 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Okay, I must've misread your post. No hard feelings?
My main point was that people are under pressure to make sure that their kids have things better than they had growing up. All of us had different experiences growing up, which shapes what criteria one is looking for when they have their own family. Often, criteria will make no sense to someone else who had different experiences growing up. It doesn't mean that anyone's criteria is better or more important than anyone else's.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:22 PM

202 posts, read 264,093 times
Mineola is generally a fine area, but there is this one section right off of Old Country Rd. (between the Country Glen Center and courthouses) where there are some beautiful tudor homes.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,770 times
Thumbs down Hempstead: Not The Greatest Place

Hempstead is not recommended. I live in Great Neck, North Hempstead. Although I do not live in Hempstead, in my opinion, Hempstead has an under average family income, and the living style is not the greatest either. Recommended Places: Oyster Bay and North Hempstead. Places like Great Neck, Manhasset, Roslyn, Brooksville, etc. are all recommended if you are thinking of moving to Long Island.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:42 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,889,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natheless View Post
Hempstead is not recommended. I live in Great Neck, North Hempstead. Although I do not live in Hempstead, in my opinion, Hempstead has an under average family income, and the living style is not the greatest either. Recommended Places: Oyster Bay and North Hempstead. Places like Great Neck, Manhasset, Roslyn, Brooksville, etc. are all recommended if you are thinking of moving to Long Island.
I think the point of his/her thread was to highlight the nice enclaves inside of towns that are considered bad.

I think it's an interesting thread b/c some of these sub-enclaves tend to really fly under the radar.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:36 PM

148 posts, read 246,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting thread with good information. What about Inwood, Uniondale, North Bay Shore, Riverhead, Shirley, Glen Cove and Gordon Heights?
Look at "Baywood" It's nestled inbetween Brentwood, Bayshore and Deer Park.

Moderately sized "wedge" of area that holds quite a few households. The area is nestled into an wooded enclave cut off from entry aside from a few locations due to being surrounded by the Sagtikos Parkway, Southern State Parkway and the small Birchwood preserve. To the north it is cut off by a quiet industrial property that's currently being used to hold cars?

Baywood is a very quiet community. Just be ready to own a car if you hadn't considered that at all. Owning a car is a requirement on Long Island except for the few that manage to find work/entertainment within minutes walking!

Old 04-25-2014, 01:43 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,889,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pholtor View Post
Look at "Baywood" It's nestled inbetween Brentwood, Bayshore and Deer Park.

Moderately sized "wedge" of area that holds quite a few households. The area is nestled into an wooded enclave cut off from entry aside from a few locations due to being surrounded by the Sagtikos Parkway, Southern State Parkway and the small Birchwood preserve. To the north it is cut off by a quiet industrial property that's currently being used to hold cars?

Baywood is a very quiet community. Just be ready to own a car if you hadn't considered that at all. Owning a car is a requirement on Long Island except for the few that manage to find work/entertainment within minutes walking!
I have a relative in Baywood and I like that area. A lot of the property sizes there are quite massive! Unfortunately, a negative for the area is that it's zoned for Brentwood Public Schools.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:19 PM

18 posts, read 34,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natheless View Post

I am a professional who lives in West Hempstead (lakeview) and my home is worth $490.000 and I pay $14.000 per year in taxes (malverne School district). I don't think that families paying this kind of taxes for their homes are "under average Family income". I think that that bad rep that Hempstead has is mainly due to race. Lakeview for example has a terrible rep mainly because it is mostly african-american. I would have to disagree, my neighborhood is very nice and peaceful, never had any issues. I am not african-american and I get along very well with my neighbors. I can leave my car (audi 2012) outside my house and nothing has ever happened to it, so I don't know why people has to assume that a place is bad based on race.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:45 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,206,745 times
Default Oh really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMIJ7125 View Post
I am a professional who lives in West Hempstead (lakeview) and my home is worth $490.000 and I pay $14.000 per year in taxes (malverne School district). I don't think that families paying this kind of taxes for their homes are "under average Family income". I think that that bad rep that Hempstead has is mainly due to race. Lakeview for example has a terrible rep mainly because it is mostly african-american. I would have to disagree, my neighborhood is very nice and peaceful, never had any issues. I am not african-american and I get along very well with my neighbors. I can leave my car (audi 2012) outside my house and nothing has ever happened to it, so I don't know why people has to assume that a place is bad based on race.
Stop making up stories. How stupid do you think we are? As per the thread "Is Hempstead, NY a Bad Area to Live?" you do not live there, know nothing about it, and are currently house hunting in the area:

Posted 4/20/2014:

Quote:
I'm planning to move to west hempstead, behind the Lakeview library. Very nice houses on that cul-de-sac and belongs to malverne SD. Any thoughts about the neighborhood?? Is it good or bad? (christopher court and pinebrook ave)
Posted 4/22/2014 after someone did not recommend Lakeview and made negative comments:

Quote:
That's bummer!! The house is beautiful and huge! I fell in love with that home. I've been there several times at different hours and it appears to be a nice quiet neighborhood. why is it not desirable.???
Posted 4/26/2014:

Quote:
I have been around the neighborhood (lakeview), around lakeview library several times at different times of day (including late at night)and have not seen anything that may raise any red flags. I still cannot understand why this place has such of a bad reputation. I think it is due to race. This is is mostly a middle class black neighborhood. Very nice people by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island