Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:53 AM

84 posts, read 166,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
You expect NCPD to pull people over on the 135 ?

As a regular driver on the 135, this has to be one of the safest highways in the state. It's not NCPD's fault that DMV is giving out licenses too easily. NY needs the registration money, gas taxes, title, and other charges at any cost to other drivers... they even wanted to give licenses to illegals a few years back . That's where the problem starts. Suffolk's issue is mostly a DWI and DWAI epidemic.

We cannot control what the state does, we can only respond to it and implement plans and programs which keep Nassau County safe regardless of the states licensing policies. So far we haven't done that, and the quality of life has suffered tremendously as a result. Would you have a plan in mind that Nassau could implement to combat this problem? I would like to hear it if you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 10:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylander View Post
Your future posts will be ignored as they are not designed to offer solutions but rather to attack the OP and any solutions they have offered. If you have a solution to the problem that doesn't raise taxes and provides a serious reduction of the problem please post it, otherwise please find another threat to post on. Thank you.
You are the OP and as several of us have asked -- and you have yet to answer-- what were the twelve serious accident situations you alluded to?

Old 08-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If the state decides who can drive, it is the responsibility of the state to determine what is or isn't acceptable and to place that into VTL.

Volunteer road patrols are not a solution. We already experienced criminals posing as LEOs pulling people over and committing crimes.

As a Nassau resident I would want my PD placing a priority on what they respond to with crime being much higher on the list than vehicle operation infractions.

Put more cops out on each shift, install more traffic cams to generate the revenue. Then sic these additional cops on every car. Assess a mandatory pull over fee for every infraction. Tail light out? $25 pull over fee plus fine. Fine waived when the operator shows proof of repair, fee still assessed. Speeding? Mandatory county pull over fee of $100 plus fine assessed.

The Commonwealth of Massachussets places a 'traumatic brain injury' fee on all speeding tickets above fines. When I learned about that, it made me think twice about exceeding 65 mph. Nassau residents need to be conditioned.

That actually is a very good idea. The court places surcharges on traffic tickets as it is to cover court costs, why not place a policing fee on top of the ticket too in order to help hire more cops? But the problem is we have to be out there to write the tickets in the first place, how is that going to get done if the priority set by the Commissioner is so low? That's why I'm proposing a "all volunteer traffic enforcement officer" position to handle this problem. It would be very similar to the fire department, and would answer directly to the Police Commissioner. It would just be an auxilliary arm of the PD that could be used to do these kinds of tasks without taking officers away from more pressing matters.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
We cannot control what the state does, we can only respond to it and implement plans and programs which keep Nassau County safe regardless of the states licensing policies. So far we haven't done that, and the quality of life has suffered tremendously as a result. Would you have a plan in mind that Nassau could implement to combat this problem? I would like to hear it if you do.
We are the state. If you want change, it is up to you to contact your elected officials.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
You are the OP and as several of us have asked -- and you have yet to answer-- what were the twelve serious accident situations you alluded to?
You want me to talk about 12 situations out of the thousands of situations I've been placed in this year? Why not ask for them all? There's no need to outline every single situation, it's enough to know that it's happening, and any safe driver in Nassau County knows it's happening. When I offer to provide video evidence of it that is ridiculed too. Apparently there are some on this thread who do not want to see the situation solved, but I am not one of them.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:03 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
That actually is a very good idea. The court places surcharges on traffic tickets as it is to cover court costs, why not place a policing fee on top of the ticket too in order to help hire more cops? But the problem is we have to be out there to write the tickets in the first place, how is that going to get done if the priority set by the Commissioner is so low? That's why I'm proposing a "all volunteer traffic enforcement officer" position to handle this problem. It would be very similar to the fire department, and would answer directly to the Police Commissioner. It would just be an auxilliary arm of the PD that could be used to do these kinds of tasks without taking officers away from more pressing matters.
You are the only one who perceives a problem so big and devastating that it almost cost you your life twelve times in a leisurely 4 mile drive.

And this is apparently turning into some kind of bizarre obsession.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
We are the state. If you want change, it is up to you to contact your elected officials.

I intend to, and when I do I want to offer a plan of action. It would be nice if others would offer a plan of action for consideration.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
What you suggest would still require an incentive. Volunteer FD members in Suffolk receive a small discount on their property taxes.

Given the potential for risk/danger during a stop, what incentive would need to be given to recruit volunteers?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
You are the only one who perceives a problem so big and devastating that it almost cost you your life twelve times in a leisurely 4 mile drive.

And this is apparently turning into some kind of bizarre obsession.

It's not a "bizarre obsession", it's merely one of the top problems we have in the county that needs to be solved. So far you've ignored all data that points to the problem and have scoffed at the idea of video evidence of such. So finally, do you have a solution or are all your posts going to be attack posts?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:07 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
You want me to talk about 12 situations out of the thousands of situations I've been placed in this year? Why not ask for them all? There's no need to outline every single situation, it's enough to know that it's happening, and any safe driver in Nassau County knows it's happening. When I offer to provide video evidence of it that is ridiculed too. Apparently there are some on this thread who do not want to see the situation solved, but I am not one of them.
Oh almighty OP, it was you that started this thread with an over the top rant about the 12 near-death traffic situations you recently encountered on a single local drive. We're only asking you to describe one of them so we can all get a flavor how you're arrived at the conclusion that the traffic problem is so out of control that only draconian measures (that come from you, of course) can solve it.

And I see now that in the past year you've been put in "thousands" of serious traffic situations. I imagine it would be quite entertaining to watch you drive. How about you put that helmet cam on and then share the video with all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island