Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 03:32 PM

173 posts, read 359,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
You obviously have not looked . The sachem school district has low taxes. Basically from the sachem district east has low taxes.
Actually I have looked. I gave up, because of all of the places that have low taxes are pointless to live in. I mean you did read the title of this thread?!

(Is there any point of living on Long Island as a young adult)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 06:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,629,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extra300 View Post
Are you serious about the "reasonably priced housing" umm ok?! Even if you find something that doesn't seem out of sight, just wait to you see the taxes!!!

Get as far away from LI as you can... You will be glad you did...
What do you deem reasonably priced, decent taxes? What do you feel you should be getting for that figure?

Old 08-16-2011, 08:03 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,403,670 times
You're at the perfect age to get out - before you get tied down with responsibilities. Unless you're in a position to make a very hefty salary, you'd be better off elsewhere.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:39 AM

173 posts, read 359,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
You're at the perfect age to get out - before you get tied down with responsibilities. Unless you're in a position to make a very hefty salary, you'd be better off elsewhere.
RUN, RUN, RUN as fast as you can and never look back!!

You will thank me!!

Old 08-21-2011, 10:26 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,398,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
You obviously have not looked . The sachem school district has low taxes. Basically from the sachem district east has low taxes.

Many many people throughout Long Island forums are forever bringing up the unreasonable PROPERTY TAXES on Long Island at-large. I have a few ignorant questions for the informed ones amongst you (i.e., "ignorant" refers to me, not you; I never owned a home nor a condo, so I don't quite know the answers to what I'm going to ask you):

QUESTION # 1: If one lives as a RENTER in Long Island in either a building legally classified as an "apartment building" or else RENTING an apartment in a home legally classfied as a "multi-family home" or else RENTING an apartment in a home that has been legally allowed to create a separate apartment unit within it, does that RENTER still pay property taxes to the town or county? Or instead, are property taxes paid ONLY by those who OWN their housing (whether a single family home or a condo apartment)?

QUESTION # 2: In Long Island at-large, does virtually every town government (or the entire county government, for that matter) outright and entirely forbid homeowners to either create a separate apartment within their home (with a separate entrance, kitchen and bathroom facilities, electric - gas- water hookups and meters, etc. for the separate apartment and with the separate apartment meeting all safety regulations) or else to create an apartment out of a garage or else to allow a separate bungalow or cottage or oither similar standalone unit to be built somewhere on their property (i.e., in their backyard) for someone to live in as a renter?

The point is, if I were to RENT rather than OWN, I would much rather live in a single apartment that is part of a (legal) two-family home or in an otherwise single-family home that has the legal permits to create a separate rental unit in the home (with separate entrance, utilities, etc.) or else the legal permit to have a cottage or bungalow or similar unit on its property that can be rented out to a renter . . . rather than renting an apartment in some traditional multi-level, multiple-dwelling apartment building (with neighbors above you and below you and on all sides of you).

And, referring back to question # 1: And any RENTER renting their housing in such a housing unit as described in question # 2 would not pay any property taxes? (i.e., therefore, property taxes are only paid by home OWNERS but not by RENTERS?)

Please, my friends, could you provide informed, knowledgeable answers to these questions?

Last edited by UsAll; 08-21-2011 at 10:37 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,234,452 times
#1: The renter pays rent to the landlord and the landlord uses some of that rent money in order to pay the property taxes. If property taxes were not so high, rents would not be so high either.

#2: It all depends on what the home is ZONED for. Some homes are zoned so that they can become a multi-family home, others are not.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:18 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,688,683 times
Your #1 point has no basis in fact. Do you really think that propert taxes are significant in the determination of rent? Do you really think if property taxes declined that rents will come down?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,234,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Your #1 point has no basis in fact. Do you really think that propert taxes are significant in the determination of rent? Do you really think if property taxes declined that rents will come down?
Things usually don't come back down.

I think that the high property taxes contributed to higher rents in the first place.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:38 AM

137 posts, read 248,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Things usually don't come back down.

I think that the high property taxes contributed to higher rents in the first place.
When I rented, I was very friendly with my LL. When she had to raise my rent (a whopping $25), she was in tears. She felt horrible having to do that to "two nice young folks struggling to get started." She showed me the property tax increase that caused the rental increase. It wasn't her idea and she loathed passing the increase on to us. Living on a fixed income & the rental income, what else could she do?

So yes, property taxes and increases are absolutely connected to rental prices.
-------------------------

Unless your education and/or immediate career prospects are tied to NYC/LI, I see no overwhelming benefit to staying here as a young adult just starting out. There's many areas of the country that will cater to a career starter. Numerous and modern apt. complexes, condos, townhouses with all amenities at a reasonable rate for a beginning wage earner. There's simply more choices and price tiers elsewhere. When/if you start to move up the career ladder and/or start a family with children, then LI is a good location, both for the career opportunities and terrific education for the kids.

Just my opinion.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:36 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,398,758 times
Thank you to GPSMA, I_Love_LI_but, and Lyriel for your responses and clarifications to help me understand these issue of property taxes and zoning of housing properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island