Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:29 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long island POSTER View Post
here is a poem i wrote 4 u since u say long island has no art

o island of gifted children
highly desiarable school districts
home depot loews bed bath&beyond tanger outlets

how many cash4gold stores can ur turnpikes hold
how many minds will ur regents exams expel towards a SUNY college
how many illegal immigrants will ur flophouses open their arms warmly towards

youth lacrosse
shopping mall
volvo suv

on a pretty weaving lane there sits a hi-ranch house
covered in ms-13 graffiti
it is wont to provide the semblance of upper middle class lifestyles
but the windows are boarded up now
anchored to a jet age dream
never gonna be a hi-ranch house now
never gonna have a perfect lawn
This is the most beautiful poem I have ever read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 02:41 PM

29 posts, read 162,206 times
I would fit the mold of a young adult trying to make it work in the last decade here on LI. After getting my first job I had to live on my own immediately. I didn't have parents to fall back on. Pressure was on. Apartment hunting was brutal. I bounced around disgusting rodent filled apartments with moldy bathrooms in homes paying $1300 for a few years. I had no choice but to work in the city for my job. I saved enough for a downpayment on a small 1000sq foot home in Nassau for 340k and got married. We made almost $180 combined. Long story made very short, we are now about to leave LI. We are seeing where are future is leading and realize in our situation opportunities will not grow and life will not get more "comfortable". We are not extravagant spenders. I buy most of my clothes from tj max and target. However, we see costs rising and foresee the county throwing more of our $ away as time goes on and want to cut our losses now.

We don't care about "arts", we just want to live somewhere with open air, nature and reasonable costs. We are lucky enough that now we are able to move our jobs elsewhere. So we are getting out while we can.

You can make out ok on LI if you really want to. If you work and live in Suffolk things can be quite affordable. If you are having doubts you need to explore other options while you can. You can always come back. Your parents are wrong and please get out there and live on your own. You'll see for yourself. If I could go back in time I would have lived in manhattan for a few years for the "young" life and then left for good immediately. I never would have attempted to make it work here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island