Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 7,556 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are currently looking for our first home, and found a home that we love in the Lakeview area of West Hempstead (a few blocks south of the Southern State Parkway). I know that the area is predominantly black, which we are completely comfortable with as the area seemed peaceful when we drove around it.

Would we be welcomed in a predominantly black neighborhood as a white couple, or should we just stick to mostly white neighborhoods (we would like a little diversity). Is there anything bad about this neighborhood that we should know about?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 03:14 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria1128 View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I are currently looking for our first home, and found a home that we love in the Lakeview area of West Hempstead (a few blocks south of the Southern State Parkway). I know that the area is predominantly black, which we are completely comfortable with as the area seemed peaceful when we drove around it.

Would we be welcomed in a predominantly black neighborhood as a white couple, or should we just stick to mostly white neighborhoods (we would like a little diversity). Is there anything bad about this neighborhood that we should know about?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!
No one on here can really answer your question.

Why don't you walk around the neighborhood you are thinking of buying in and talk to the people that live there? At least introduce yourselves to the nearest neighbors of the house you are interested in buying so you can gauge who you are going to be living near and get an idea of their attitudes towards you.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:26 PM

581 posts, read 1,243,783 times
I think blacks are more welcoming to other race/ethnicity/culture than any other group.

I dont think you would have a problem.

That's just my opinion however.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:07 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Lakeview om the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria1128 View Post
... found a home that we love in the Lakeview area of West Hempstead (a few blocks south of the Southern State Parkway).
Lakeview and West Hempstead are hamlets and, according to the NYS Geographic Glossary, one hamlet can not be part of another hamlet.

Lakeview is one of those many villages and hamlets on long Island where none of the places in the community have the community name as part of their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Lakeview have a "West Hempstead, NY 11552" and "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" mailing address.

A map of the Hamlet of Lakeview in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Lakeview-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Old 08-15-2011, 05:21 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
No one on here can really answer your question.

Why don't you walk around the neighborhood you are thinking of buying in and talk to the people that live there? At least introduce yourselves to the nearest neighbors of the house you are interested in buying so you can gauge who you are going to be living near and get an idea of their attitudes towards you.
I agree with this. I used to have a work friend who was black who lived around there, and even back in those days it wasn't an inexpensive place to buy a house so I don't think you'd have an issue, but ILLB gives you good advice. No one can make this decision for you. Everyone's idea of "feeling welcomed" is different anyway.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,380 times
Lakeview isn't an area sought after by whites, thus very few live there.
Should you choose to live in Lakeview, other Long Islanders, whether white or black, will be surprised when you as a white person, tell them that you are from there. It's not a negative, but it will be very surprising to other people.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:55 PM

152 posts, read 155,835 times
I live on the border of Rockville Centre and Lakeview.
There are some bad parts of Lakeview but it is very small.
The side closer to Rockville Centre and Malverne is nice, the side closer to Hempstead is rough.

But you shouldn't worry about the black people welcoming you, there's no race issue here because the two towns next to Lakeview, Lynbrook and Rockville Centre are predominantly white. Hempstead is mixed, but I would say its predominantly Hispanic.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:30 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
You say you are looking for "a little diversity". That is a far cry from being one of a handful at best of whites living in a predominantly black area.

Only you can figure out your level of comfort being an underrepresented minority of a hamlet's population.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 PM

152 posts, read 155,835 times
Now that I think of it, there's a big jew area in Lakeview too. once you go down Woodridge road between Hempstead Typk. ITts a diverse area.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:18 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I don't know if you have or are thinking about children but here is an article from March of this year about the community and some school issues. Lakeview in need of a few good men - LIHerald.com - Nassau County's source for local news, breaking news, sports, entertainment & shopping=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island