Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:00 PM

200 posts, read 455,103 times

Advertisements

doesn't have to be exactly in Suffolk county, could be Nassau as well.

What i'm trying to ask is other than the huge Chinese population/community in Flushing, Queens, etc, OUTSIDE of that, towards Eastern LI.

thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,789,376 times
would be interesting if there were but I doubt it. Best you'll have are 1 or 2 asian supermarkets in a town. Even those are finding it hard to stay afloat.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
would be interesting if there were but I doubt it. Best you'll have are 1 or 2 asian supermarkets in a town. Even those are finding it hard to stay afloat.
The only Asian grocery store I knew that was close by was on W.John street in Hicksville and it closed down.....

I'm a big fan of authentic Chinese food and also a big fan of "Pho", (for those of you who don't know it's Vietnamese noodles) and I have to drive 30 miles (often a 2 hour, 60 miles combined trip) each way just to go to flushing to get some....with big headache on parking once I get there.

If anyone knows of a grocery store (or better yet, a Pho restaurant!) close to the Nassau/Suffolk border please post!

Old 08-16-2011, 01:18 PM

16 posts, read 42,979 times
There is a Chinese supermarket in the town of Hempstead, I think its called V & T

Old 08-16-2011, 01:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,175,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inception937 View Post
The only Asian grocery store I knew that was close by was on W.John street in Hicksville and it closed down.....

I'm a big fan of authentic Chinese food and also a big fan of "Pho", (for those of you who don't know it's Vietnamese noodles) and I have to drive 30 miles (often a 2 hour, 60 miles combined trip) each way just to go to flushing to get some....with big headache on parking once I get there.

If anyone knows of a grocery store (or better yet, a Pho restaurant!) close to the Nassau/Suffolk border please post!
Have you been to H Mart?

Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices.

Their stores closest to you are in Great Neck and Williston Park on the Nassau/Queens border.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:30 PM

347 posts, read 1,346,729 times
So I don't mean to generalize but driving around the Stony Brook Levitt area (M, O, B, sections, for example), I saw quite a few asian people walking around. I've heard from others that Stony Brook has a large asian population and I am going to guess, probably the biggest percentage wise in Suffolk. There's an asian grocery on 347 in Stony Brook, so that's another sign...

Old 08-17-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R540driver View Post
There is a Chinese supermarket in the town of Hempstead, I think its called V & T
Oh yes! I totally forgot about that place but I remember now exactly what you're talking about.

Thank you!!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Have you been to H Mart?

Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices.

Their stores closest to you are in Great Neck and Williston Park on the Nassau/Queens border.
No I haven't but i'll check it out!

thank you!!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 AM

88 posts, read 479,167 times
I was just reading the other day that a Chinese school is looking for locations in suffolk county to cater to the above average Chinese children of people working in Stony Brook Univ and Brookhaven Lab. I don't know if there is any community established, but there must be quite a presence.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:47 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,553,813 times
There are Asian residents in Stony Brook; I can't tell what their nationalities are by looking at them, though. I do have a few Chinese neighbors and elsewhere in SB there are others. There is no concentration per se as everyone is mixed together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island