Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 AM

465 posts, read 1,710,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
IMO Bayport/Blue Point blows Northport away(unless were talking Eatons Neck).

Crooks
Can you describe how it 'blows away' Northport. Besides Ocean vs Sound, I am curious about basis of your perception.

While Eatons Neck is beautiful, it is extremely isolated and lacks convenience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 07:40 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
MLSLI website #2422752

Stony Brook: Hawks Nest Rd, Stony Brook Shores which is a private beach community north of 25A, very CT feel sylvan, gentle hills, 3V school district. 4 BR, 3 full baths. Ward Melville HS. $699,000 asking price Taxes are high @ $12,880

If you're college/science people the Three Village area would be a wonderful fit as many of the residents are associated with SBU and UHSB as well as BNL.

I live in Stony Brook and am happy to try and answer questions should you decide to consider it.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 08-18-2011 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add price.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieInLongIsland View Post
If you love the Ocean then Bayport is the place ! You can buy a very nice home in your budget and OCEAN access is easy. Two places to launch your boat within two miles (Bayport beach and Corey)- tons of places to dock your boat if you'd rather. Fire island - there are three places that the ferry leaves from1) Bayshore 20 mins away- 2)sayville - 5 mins away (I used to ride my bike there as a teenager) and 5) Patchouge - 5 mins away. Drive - Robert Moses or smiths point - 25 min drive. and if you sail a few of sailing clubs are local- sayville yacht club (not like the north shore 'yacht' clubs) - it's really a sailing club. Although it's called Sayville yacht club it's located in Blue Point.

I grew up in Bayport - lived in blue point for 10 yrs and now back in Bayport so feel free to DM if you have any questions.

IDK about the yacht club assertion you're making. My friends in Setauket and clients in Lloyd Harbor do a lot of sailing through their clubs. I am more familiar with Setauket, which offers sailing lessons and host a regatta.

The Sound, by virtue of size, is far easier to sail on. Many of my friends have decent sized boats up here and think nothing of setting sail to Block Island or further for an overnight or weekend, which is made easier because of the north shore location. Someone wishing to do the same out of Sayville/BBT needs to allot more time. Unless you have something sea worthy, a person operating a small sail boat is sort of limited on the south shore.

Ocean access from the south shore still requires that a person:
1) drive to the beach
2) drive to the ferry
3) drive to their boat
4) Best case scenario -- walk out their back door to their boat docked in the yard

As far as a place to live, BBT is a nice place if you don't mind having Patchogue close by.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:56 AM
ITD ITD started this thread

31 posts, read 46,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
MLSLI website #2422752

Stony Brook: Hawks Nest Rd, Stony Brook Shores which is a private beach community north of 25A, very CT feel sylvan, gentle hills, 3V school district. 4 BR, 3 full baths. Ward Melville HS. $699,000 asking price Taxes are high @ $12,880

If you're college/science people the Three Village area would be a wonderful fit as many of the residents are associated with SBU and UHSB as well as BNL.

I live in Stony Brook and am happy to try and answer questions should you decide to consider it.
We've had friends caution us against the high school. Very large, problems in the school, resting on past rep. Accurate? I don't think we checked out Stony Brook Shores, sounds very pleasant. What we liked about BBP was the look of the homes- larger, nice lots, very near ocean. We're not boaters, but do love the sea. We used to vacation on the outer cape of Cape Cod, and loved it.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:02 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
We've had friends caution us against the high school. Very large, problems in the school, resting on past rep. Accurate? I don't think we checked out Stony Brook Shores, sounds very pleasant. What we liked about BBP was the look of the homes- larger, nice lots, very near ocean. We're not boaters, but do love the sea. We used to vacation on the outer cape of Cape Cod, and loved it.
Three Village is a much bigger district than BP/Blue Point, no question. I would assume that there are equal amounts of recreational drugs being consumed by bored rich kids in both districts. Ward Melville has a couple of more "working class" neighborhoods based on it's sheer size.

The high end of Ward Melville's academics...AP programs and their relationship with Stony Brook University..is where their rep comes from..deservedly so. BP/BP can't match this.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:30 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Stony brook shores area is beautiful! What i dont like is the sound. Im more of an ocean person. Just my preference though, some people love the sound.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
My husband and son are both graduates of WMHS as are numerous BIL, SIL, nieces and nephews. If there were 'problems' none of us would have allowed the 2nd generation to have attended. What 'problems' did your friend allude to?

My son's graduating class (2010) had 660 students in it, so yes, it is large. His girlfriend's class (2011) was smaller. My daughter's class is currently in the mid 500's, but that can change in 6 years.

Programs are strong and there are a slew of AP classes to choose from. If your children are inclined, there is an amazing Intel program. Theater arts and music (the new music wing is incredible) programs are strong. Parents are very involved with the schools. The school boasts a strong LAX (boys & girls) field hockey, fencing and soccer programs. Many students receive academic and athletic scholarships; my son's class collectively netted somewhere over $10 million.

Having SBU in the district is a tremendous asset, as is the area's connection to BNL.

As with anywhere a good student will rise and be challenged by his/her similarly academic minded peers. There will always be middling and flounders, too. Drugs are in every district on LI. Rich or poor, kids have access. Being an involved parent and knowing a child's friends is one of the best ways to avoid it.

The lion's share of WMHS students I know are in good schools - some private, some ivy, some public. I know of 1 kid with a drug problem from WMHS -- not through my son, but through my husband's friend.

With regard to 'working class' neighborhoods, they are rather decent, too, but look much more like the developments they are and less wooded. A few have student rentals for SBU.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:55 AM
ITD ITD started this thread

31 posts, read 46,091 times
Thank you for everyone's input.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:11 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrees View Post
Can you describe how it 'blows away' Northport. Besides Ocean vs Sound, I am curious about basis of your perception.

While Eatons Neck is beautiful, it is extremely isolated and lacks convenience.
Allow me to clarify. I love Nortport. I actually prefer it to Huntington (gasp)

I just dont believe it to be as compelling as Bayport Blue Point in terms of
Stock, QOL and Schools. It's something of a hidden South Shore gem and would be my pick if given the choice.

Just one mans opinion.

Crooks.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:50 PM

86 posts, read 234,652 times
As for the Yacht club mention I meant as far as clientele - I used to belong to Sayville Yacht club before I moved and there were many Teachers and more humble professionals that belonged to the club as opposed to the north shore yacht clubs. It's a small club with lovely amenities. it's a small sailing club that holds a lot of the laser nationals / worlds and sunfish worlds there- it have a large and lovely beach front to launch the boats from. That's all I meant being the the OP are teachers they might like it there if they sailed- that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island