Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:34 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I personally wouldn't get so upset as to call LIPA and complain, but different strokes for different folks.
I guess that sums it up best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Right, but what I am trying to explain to you is that if LIPA KNOWS that due to the work required there will be power out, it makes more sense to do it at night time, when local businesses wouldn't be negatively impacted by an outage. Noise unfortunately, comes with their work. A guy shouting out "Don't turn on xyz breaker right now!" Is due to safety. Yelling may be necessary to be heard over the noise of the trucks and machinery. I personally wouldn't get so upset as to call LIPA and complain, but different strokes for different folks. This work could have been maintenance and may have saved this neighborhood from having a very major outage in the event of a storm, which I'm sure the OP would be complaining about then because stupid LIPA can't get out there fast enough.
Apparently walkie talkies, shutting off big diesel trucks, and common sense are not in LIPA's best interests.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:46 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Apparently walkie talkies, shutting off big diesel trucks, and common sense are not in LIPA's best interests.
The trucks need to be ON to get the buckets up.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
The trucks need to be ON to get the buckets up.
Including trucks that weren't being used?

I'm glad I'm overreacting to a bunch of loud motors running at midnight 10 feet from my window.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:23 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
And just how would you propse our utility distribution worked? It's tough to operate a utility in another manner.

Look how well it worked for the phone company. Since the breakup of the Bell System, phone bills have sky-rocketed, many new surcharges have appeared on our bills, service visits are scheduled days later, and oh, if the proplem is the wiring in your home, then its your expense.
Yeah, we can own our own phones, but it's some China piece of garbage that lats maybe two years.
When we had LILCO and had the notoriety of paying the most expensive rates in the entire country for electricity, I used to think necessities of life such as utilities should be non-profit. Then we got LIPA! I give up!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
And just how would you propse our utility distribution worked? It's tough to operate a utility in another manner.

Look how well it worked for the phone company. Since the breakup of the Bell System, phone bills have sky-rocketed, many new surcharges have appeared on our bills, service visits are scheduled days later, and oh, if the proplem is the wiring in your home, then its your expense.
Yeah, we can own our own phones, but it's some China piece of garbage that lats maybe two years.

Sorry, Buck, but that is not really true. International rates dropped out the bottom with the breakup of AT&T. I was just talking about this with some friends yesterday. I called Switzerland yesterday and 40 minutes cost me $3.12. If I had made that call prior to 1984, it would have cost me 10 times that.

You also do not have to worry about the per-minute charges for "zone" calls (used to cost more to call from Suffolk to Nassau, and the city was long distance). Really, you can get unlimited landline service very easily and cheaply: Optimum Voice is about $20 a month if you also have the Triple Play, not even $40 a month if you don't. If you make use of the extra services (special ringtones for certain people, call blocking, requiring "private" callers to reveal themselves to get through, etc.), it's a very good deal. You can get international calling for a flat monthly rate, or you can buy a plan where you deposit and replenish money in a "bank" and it is deducted with each call.

For cell service, you can go to Best Buy and get pay-as-you-go cell phones with rates that work for you, either per-minute or unlimited talk and text, and you can even get pay-as-you-go smart phones now. If you don't like your service, like I don't like my current AT&T service, you just "unenroll" and go get another phone with another service. It's very simple.

On the whole, the breakup of AT&T in the mid '80s, the rate rules set by the FCC in the '90s, and the growth of technology have been good for telephone users in an increasingly smaller world. Indeed, it's the only thing that has really gotten cheaper over the years. It is certainly a boon to my business, where over the next week I will also be calling Tokyo and Buenos Aires.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Oh, Kayfouroh, this is the stuff of life. It's temporary, just like the noise from repaving Sunrise Highway at 2:00 a.m. is temporary.

Not that I can blame you for being annoyed, but years ago, when I lived in Arlington, VA, about six months into my residence at a beautiful high-rise, they--the ubiquitous "they"--started breaking ground on new buildings right behind mine.

With pile-drivers.

At 7:00 a.m.

When most folks in that part of Arlington who had to be at work at 9:00 didn't have to get up until nearly 8:00.

And the pile-drivers went all...day...long until 3:30. Folks heard them all morning as they were getting ready for work, in the bleepin' shower even.

For several months straight.

Then there was the noise of construction.

Then more pile-drivers for the second building.

Here is the clip from my then-balcony. I felt bad for the folks in the area who did shift work and had to sleep while those things were going. Ditto the retired folks and the stay-at-home parents. The rental office folks said no one took their kids down to the outside pool, and everyone was crowding the inside pool.

Point is, it's temporary, and everything is relative.

[URL="http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa136/avienne66/?action=view&current=DSCN2440.mp4"]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...h_DSCN2440.jpg[/URL]

Old 08-18-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Oh, Kayfouroh, this is the stuff of life. It's temporary, just like the noise from repaving Sunrise Highway at 2:00 a.m. is temporary.

Not that I can blame you for being annoyed, but years ago, when I lived in Arlington, VA, about six months into my residence at a beautiful high-rise, they--the ubiquitous "they"--started breaking ground on new buildings right behind mine.

With pile-drivers.

At 7:00 a.m.

When most folks in that part of Arlington who had to be at work at 9:00 didn't have to get up until nearly 8:00.

And the pile-drivers went all...day...long until 3:30. Folks heard them all morning as they were getting ready for work, in the bleepin' shower even.

For several months straight.

Then there was the noise of construction.

Then more pile-drivers for the second building.

Here is the clip from my then-balcony. I felt bad for the folks in the area who did shift work and had to sleep while those things were going. Ditto the retired folks and the stay-at-home parents. The rental office folks said no one took their kids down to the outside pool, and everyone was crowding the inside pool.

Point is, it's temporary, and everything is relative.
There's a huge difference, to me at least, between being woken up at a slightly early our, and being kept awake at an extremely (to me) late hour. I wouldn't mind that kind of work at 7am.. I get up at 7am anyway, but I am usually in bed at around 11-11:30, so having the power go off RIGHT then, PLUS all the work at that hour, is extremely frustrating.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
There's a huge difference, to me at least, between being woken up at a slightly early our, and being kept awake at an extremely (to me) late hour. I wouldn't mind that kind of work at 7am.. I get up at 7am anyway, but I am usually in bed at around 11-11:30, so having the power go off RIGHT then, PLUS all the work at that hour, is extremely frustrating.
Trust me, K, it doesn't take long for the incessant slamming to start feeling like Chinese water torture. The noise shook the walls. You could hear them a mile a way, literally. The first day it happened, people went out into the hallways wondering what was going on. My next-door neighbor worked at GW hospital at nights and he had to move out. The building actually lost a bunch of tenants from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island