U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:14 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,380,977 times

Advertisements

We had a bunch of trucks outside our window for over 4 hrs last night (9pm to at least 1am) with their heavy diesels idling loudly, workers yelling across the road all night and they shut off our power for an hour with no notice at 11:30pm. I sleep with medical equipment so this threw me off all night and I am feeling it today.

I'm looking to file a complaint and see what the hell is happening over there. Has anyone done this before? I imagine I will hit a dead end real fast.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 07:19 AM

1,800 posts, read 2,352,317 times
I'll bet you get somewhere especially with your use of medical equipment.

As to the noise, if LIPA does nothing, consider calling the police (I'm not kidding). There are noise ordinances/laws.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
I'll bet you get somewhere especially with your use of medical equipment.

As to the noise, if LIPA does nothing, consider calling the police (I'm not kidding). There are noise ordinances/laws.
I was close to going down there and flipping out. They had bucket trucks and the bucket on one truck was literally 3 feet from my window. If I opened the window and reached out I could grab the bucket. That's how close those diesels were

We tried calling to them from our window but they looked at us and ignored us. A-holes.

I'm going to call LIPA today and next time call the police.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 AM

1,800 posts, read 2,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I was close to going down there and flipping out. They had bucket trucks and the bucket on one truck was literally 3 feet from my window. If I opened the window and reached out I could grab the bucket. That's how close those diesels were

We tried calling to them from our window but they looked at us and ignored us. A-holes.

I'm going to call LIPA today and next time call the police.

When you call LIPA and/or the police - articulate that. You may also research and find out if your specific town has a noise ordinance - most do.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 AM

137 posts, read 236,130 times
LIPA can make some arrangements for notification to customers that require an uninterrupted power supply to run medical devices. Have a look.

LIPA | Services for Special Customers | Critical Care

Old 08-17-2011, 11:19 AM

757 posts, read 1,410,812 times
I am betting your blaming LIPA for you not registering with them that you have medical equipment.

ALSO how do you know what work they were doing? How do you know one of your neighbors did not have power?

Also calling the police will not do anygood .Since you do not know if the police already knew about the work.

This is why we have big power bills because of complaints like this.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
I am betting your blaming LIPA for you not registering with them that you have medical equipment.
I'm blaming LIPA for disconnecting power with 0 notice in the middle of the night, after running loud trucks for 3 hours and yelling from the employees at midnight.

Quote:
ALSO how do you know what work they were doing? How do you know one of your neighbors did not have power?
Across the street had power. Our building was out, I could not see past our building.

Quote:
Also calling the police will not do anygood .Since you do not know if the police already knew about the work.
Let's see how pleased you are when 3 or 4 big trucks come and idle right outside your window at midnight-1am.

Quote:
This is why we have big power bills because of complaints like this.
Yeah

Well we called them. After being extremely rude, they said there was an outage in the area and other customers were affected. They also hung up on us. Great business

Old 08-17-2011, 12:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 31,030,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I'm blaming LIPA for disconnecting power with 0 notice in the middle of the night, after running loud trucks for 3 hours and yelling from the employees at midnight.

Across the street had power. Our building was out, I could not see past our building.

Let's see how pleased you are when 3 or 4 big trucks come and idle right outside your window at midnight-1am.

Yeah

Well we called them. After being extremely rude, they said there was an outage in the area and other customers were affected. They also hung up on us. Great business
There's nothing like having a monopoly!

Old 08-17-2011, 12:18 PM

99 posts, read 237,426 times
Has this occurred in the past or just last night?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Just last night. I wouldn't be so upset if it were only for an hour or so overall, but it went on for at least 4 hours until I gave up and took some sleep aids.

Honestly I live on the second floor of a busy street and the noise last night was worse than most noise during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island