Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 02:57 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Seriously!?! Where do you get that thought? How is my question any different than a parent with 5 babies asking here what town would be most friendly to their families? .
Only one person called you a kid hater. My best friend has no kids. Obviously we get along fine.

Second - this is suburbia - it's a lot easier to find a kid friendly town than not here. Ever see the property tax debates here on CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 02:59 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times
Quote:
Thanks, thats what I was thinking too when I read the response as well. Sands Point? Seriously? We aren't millionaires. Many homes in the $1MM range are simply not in our budget, that rules out SP, as well as Muttontown, Upper Brookville, and swanky areas of Roslyn/Roslyn Heights. And like I said in my earlier post, I don't have a problem with kids being in a neighborhood, but I'm not going all out to look for a town where I am the MINORITY in that area (minority as in, child-free). There are towns in Suffolk County where some of my co-workers who are CF live where they've described being targeted by neighbors because they aren't always outside their houses playing with their kids or whatever (think it was Smithtown or so).

I wouldn't mind doing a townhouse or condo/co-op but my husband has several cars and needs to work on them (so a garage is a must). We also host BBQ's every summer for our friends and family (and yes, their kids are invited as wellso how much of a "kid hater" can I really be!!). For that reason we can't look at the Rockville Centre townhouses..I also want to get a house that has an inground pool, so right off the bat - the backyards need to be a certain size..One reason I am asking this question is because we plan to sell our 2bedroom home in a few years due to space. We will be getting pets and I would like to have an extra bedroom for my friends or family to stay over, for my husband to have a "work/office" area, etc, We don't have a problem with kids, we just don't want to be singled out because we AREN'T into the kid-centric lifestyles, KWIM? End of topic already!

I think what i will do is create a list of communities that have a high percentage of townhouse developments, retirement communities and co-ops/condos.. From what that Newsday article just said, Westbury is ranked 18th for the richest singles..So maybe I will start there..

PS and because someone was inquiring about our ages: I am in my mid 30s and husband in his 40s.
Can you expand on this? They are being targeted how?

Old 08-18-2011, 03:05 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Can you expand on this? They are being targeted how?
Kid police, duh.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:15 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Thanks, thats what I was thinking too when I read the response as well. Sands Point? Seriously? We aren't millionaires. Many homes in the $1MM range are simply not in our budget, that rules out SP, as well as Muttontown, Upper Brookville, and swanky areas of Roslyn/Roslyn Heights. And like I said in my earlier post, I don't have a problem with kids being in a neighborhood, but I'm not going all out to look for a town where I am the MINORITY in that area (minority as in, child-free). There are towns in Suffolk County where some of my co-workers who are CF live where they've described being targeted by neighbors because they aren't always outside their houses playing with their kids or whatever (think it was Smithtown or so).

I wouldn't mind doing a townhouse or condo/co-op but my husband has several cars and needs to work on them (so a garage is a must). We also host BBQ's every summer for our friends and family (and yes, their kids are invited as well so how much of a "kid hater" can I really be!!). For that reason we can't look at the Rockville Centre townhouses..I also want to get a house that has an inground pool, so right off the bat - the backyards need to be a certain size..One reason I am asking this question is because we plan to sell our 2bedroom home in a few years due to space. We will be getting pets and I would like to have an extra bedroom for my friends or family to stay over, for my husband to have a "work/office" area, etc, We don't have a problem with kids, we just don't want to be singled out because we AREN'T into the kid-centric lifestyles, KWIM? End of topic already!

I think what i will do is create a list of communities that have a high percentage of townhouse developments, retirement communities and co-ops/condos.. From what that Newsday article just said, Westbury is ranked 18th for the richest singles..So maybe I will start there..

PS and because someone was inquiring about our ages: I am in my mid 30s and husband in his 40s.
I would definitely take that ranking with a grain of salt. Did you read the comments for that story on Newsday's website? Most people do not believe it. I would bet that the people who wrote that list have NEVER even been to Westbury and actually seen it.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
I understand what LegalDeva means. No one can deny that Long Island is very family and child centered. I have not only heard this complaint from child free couples, but from gay and lesbian people, single people, divorced people and others who just do not conform.

Yes, things have changed somewhat. But they have mostly remained the same.
I think that some of the pricier areas in Nassau, where many people with children could no longer afford to live might also be good choices. Nassau has way less families with school age children than it did when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s.

Oyster Bay comes to mind. When I grew up there, the district had three elementary schools. Now they are down to one. Almost symbolically, the one that I attended on School House Lane was leveled to make room for luxury condos!

Another place I would recommend, would be Glen Cove. The schools are nothing to rave about, but there are some nice older homes, extensive dining, and it's not far from NYC.

Huntington is "Nassau East" and it is still worth a look. Also home of the Cinema Arts Center.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:46 PM

257 posts, read 751,013 times
ummm...no one has mentioned the south side of Freeport????

Old 08-18-2011, 06:10 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,381 times
Quote:
There are towns in Suffolk County where some of my co-workers who are CF live where they've described being targeted by neighbors because they aren't always outside their houses playing with their kids or whatever (think it was Smithtown or so).
That's insane, nobody targets anyone just because they don't have kids. Like I said, I have neighbors that don't have children and I get along with them just fine.

You are going to have a difficult time finding a place in Nassau that you will accept, but no problem finding a place that would accept you (being child-free) if you started being a little more open minded and accepting toward those who have chosen a different path. You may not realize that you are being offensive, but you are.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:18 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
If only Rocky Point was in Nassau.
(crickets)

were?

Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
(crickets)

were?

Old 08-18-2011, 10:18 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
Don't pay any mind, I totally got what you meant about the kids. Makes sense.

I say PW for sure. You won't see loads of kids on the street, etc. Most towns in LI kids play at playdates, etc, not just hang out in front of their homes, kwim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island