U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:26 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,508,941 times

Advertisements

We live in LI, like it here and choose to stay here (Nassau County) for a long time. My husband and I do not desire children for personal reasons (nothing wrong with people who want them, its just not our cup of tea). I know the old adage of "ohh you get married, have kids, and then move to the suburbs" but frankly we want to buck the trend and make the suburbs a place where we enjoy the space and laid-back environment but simply have no desire to be living on blocks where kids are constantly running around with their bikes, skateboards, or seeing day care centers on every corner..

What areas of LI (specifically Nassau) would you say are more "open" to these type of families? We know Long Beach, RVC and maybe Mineola, Great Neck have a good social life scene with plenty of bars, restaurants, movie theaters, etc...But I am interested in finding out which neighborhoods have a high percentage of adults living on their own without kids (not necessarily retirement communities ). Is there some type of map that would show me stats like that?

PS and I know people will suggest we move to Manhattan/NYC boroughs but I actually grew up in NYC and don't really desire to live there w/ the congestion, traffic, noise, etc. We just want a nice quiet village that isn't so "out there" with the school soccer game signs, daycare signs, school buses every corner every day, etc...

Last edited by LegalDiva; 08-17-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 01:34 PM
GPC

1,284 posts, read 3,153,442 times
I'm honestly not being snotty when I say this but hey, if you can afford to live on Long Island and don't even need the 'lofty' public schools your tax dollars will go for, good for you! I moved away last year. Sometimes I do miss certain aspects of LI but I was never going to make the mega-bucks required to keep living there.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I'm honestly not being snotty when I say this but hey, if you can afford to live on Long Island and don't even need the 'lofty' public schools your tax dollars will go for, good for you! I moved away last year. Sometimes I do miss certain aspects of LI but I was never going to make the mega-bucks required to keep living there.
Yes its expensive. I didn't choose to live here, I was living in Queens when I got engaged. The fact is my husband's employment is based on Nassau County residency so even if we moved to Queens or Suffolk County, we really can't because of his job (he doesn't work for the County but his job title is part of the Civil service branches). I work in Suffolk so anything in Queens would really make my commute worse.

We are fortunate to have high paying jobs, but I agree the taxes here are a killer. Thats a big reason we chose to be CF (child-free). We don't feel like blowing our retirement accounts on college savings plans.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,031,065 times
I would also agree to leave LI but since your thread is asking for good places on LI, here I go;

Maybe Amityville Village?

Since you don't have any kids and Schools won't be a concern then I don't see why not to give this area a try. It's a pretty cool area with lots to do. The ocean's right over there. Nice perfect downtown area. Sunrise Mall's a walk away which even has your favorite store there: JcPenny! lol, i'm sorry, I couldn't resist! Though even with that being said, i'm really not totally sure about the tax situation since Amityville is technically considered a village so you'll probably have village taxes?? I'm not totally sure about that aspect.

Or maybe Bay Shore?

Old 08-17-2011, 01:55 PM

9,341 posts, read 27,714,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Maybe Amityville Village?
Yes, the Village or Amityville in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County or, just across the county line, to the west, the Hamlet of East Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:59 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,320,399 times
^^ LIPerson beat me to it. Amityville Village was the first thing that popped into my head. (and Amity Harbor or East Massapequa in amity SD-better deal on houses$) I have a few friends there and there's very few kids around. I looked it up real quick to confirm, only 24.9% of family households have children under 18, the lowest I've seen on LI. Compared to 35%+ in Baldwin and most of LI.
Amityville village, New York - Selected Social Characteristics in the United States: 2005-2009

That would be my first pick. Taxes are low, housing inexpensive, it's convenient to almost everything, quiet, laid back compared to Nassau. The one negative is Amityville School District, which is improving, but moot since you won't be interested in it anyway. I'd look there and Oakdale might be something to consider.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:08 PM

thanks guys! We will def look into Amityville, maybe Bay Shore as well. What do you guys think about Pt Washington, Great Neck, Roslyn Heights, Manhasset? Sea Cliff, Glen Head? Are those too family-centric or a good mix of single/married adults?

LIP - your JCP comment is too funny.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:19 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,622,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
but simply have no desire to be living on blocks where kids are constantly running around with their bikes, skateboards, or seeing day care centers on every corner..

What areas of LI (specifically Nassau) But I am interested in finding out which neighborhoods have a high percentage of adults living on their own without kids (not necessarily retirement communities ). Is there some type of map that would show me stats like that?

PS and I know people will suggest we move to Manhattan/NYC boroughs but I actually grew up in NYC and don't really desire to live there w/ the congestion, traffic, noise, etc. We just want a nice quiet village that isn't so "out there" with the school soccer game signs, daycare signs, school buses every corner every day, etc...

No kids, no bikes, no daycare centers, no congestion, no traffic, no noise, no school buses, no soccer parks and you want to remain in Nassau County ?

What's wrong with your two bedroom bungalow in Baldwin?

Either you have to move way out in Suffolk next to a retirement complex, out of state or Mars or Jupiter might fit the bill.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,286 times
I am in the same situation, kids are off to college, so we need a place where there is just enough room for them to visit but not stay forever, but we don't want to pay a premium on our taxes for better schools. We also are looking for an area where we can walk to restaurants.

Because of work we need to be in Nassau county, can't afford Manhattan.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:13 PM

9,661 posts, read 21,232,761 times
Might be worth it to look into Port Washington.
If you can afford a larger piece of property, the "constantly running kids" shouldn't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island