U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,048,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
So theoretically I could post a stop sign on a street and people would HAVE to stop? Sounds fishy. I'd like to see the VTL section for that.
I wasn't talking about legality. I was talking about common sense. If a commercial vehicle is asking you to stop, it's usually safest to do so. If a school bus (or camp bus) has it's stop sign out and you go around, I'm sure that the parents of the child you might kill would appreciate the distinction. Long Islander's need to exercise a little more caution and courtesy on the road and stop being so anxious to get wherever they are going a few seconds sooner.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,382,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I wasn't talking about legality. I was talking about common sense. If a commercial vehicle is asking you to stop, it's usually safest to do so. If a school bus (or camp bus) has it's stop sign out and you go around, I'm sure that the parents of the child you might kill would appreciate the distinction. Long Islander's need to exercise a little more caution and courtesy on the road and stop being so anxious to get wherever they are going a few seconds sooner.
Well obviously I stop. I never said I didn't, I just find it stupid that they can hold up traffic without any problems.

And hey I'm the one telling people to slow down on the LIE and being berated for it.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:44 AM

16,408 posts, read 31,034,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
This morning I was late for work and had to stop a half dozen times for small yellow buses , most of which had names of (expensive) day camps on the side windows. In almost every case , the driver pulls up in front of a home, puts the flashing lights on, and sits there until Caden's mom/dad/nanny decides it's time to get the kid on the bus.
In once instance, a parent struck up a long conversation with the driver, while the lights flashed away and two dozen cars piled up in both directions. After a few minutes of this, the driver in the car diagonally opposite the bus (that would be me) politely asked the driver to end the conversation, as she was making approximately fifty people late for work.
Of course I know we should stop for school buses, but why should anyone's commute be delayed for a camp bus ? Is the driver required to flash the lights when the kid is most likely still eating breakfast and is nowhere in sight ? Do the traffic laws of NY State require us to stop for a bus that is clearly not on school business (I have not read the manual in many years)...
Apologies for venting.
Because it's got kids on it the same as a school bus.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:46 AM

16,408 posts, read 31,034,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
So theoretically I could post a stop sign on a street and people would HAVE to stop? Sounds fishy. I'd like to see the VTL section for that.
If that were the case, I think you should make signs that say "NO WALKING IN THE STREET! USE SIDEWALK!" and post them all over your area!

Old 08-18-2011, 10:56 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,382,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If that were the case, I think you should make signs that say "NO WALKING IN THE STREET! USE SIDEWALK!" and post them all over your area!
HAHA nice.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:12 PM

10,064 posts, read 10,410,914 times
Many camps and schools do not have their own fleet of buses, but rather contract them from a commercial company such as Suburban, Independent, Veteran's, etc. The same laws apply whether the bus holds students or campers. Generally, it is not the driver's fault if the parent is chit-chatting away. They are expected to stay on schedule and they are not happy when parents hold them up, nor are the other campers on the bus who are waiting to get home. Mini-school buses are used for door-to-door service, while the large ones generally pick up children from a central location. Also, keep in mind that special ed students get special accomodations, including door-to-door service, while attending a mainstream program at a school or camp. In addition, the driver has to wait for the parent to come to the door or come outside before the child can be dropped off at the end of the day. That can also cause delays. Just give yourself some extra time in the morning or the late afternoon.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:33 PM

142 posts, read 247,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Many camps and schools do not have their own fleet of buses, but rather contract them from a commercial company such as Suburban, Independent, Veteran's, etc. The same laws apply whether the bus holds students or campers. Generally, it is not the driver's fault if the parent is chit-chatting away. They are expected to stay on schedule and they are not happy when parents hold them up, nor are the other campers on the bus who are waiting to get home. Mini-school buses are used for door-to-door service, while the large ones generally pick up children from a central location. Also, keep in mind that special ed students get special accomodations, including door-to-door service, while attending a mainstream program at a school or camp. In addition, the driver has to wait for the parent to come to the door or come outside before the child can be dropped off at the end of the day. That can also cause delays. Just give yourself some extra time in the morning or the late afternoon.
I've actually only seen the larger buses drop off students during the year on my way to work. In regards to my previous post about the necessity for buses to make individual stops at houses, especially on larger/busy roadways...I just wonder if there is a better way or some kind of solution that makes everyone happy.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:02 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,781,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I hear you , Coney, but do not understand the sense of entitlement some parents have today. I know they are paying $4000 to farm their kids off to summer camp but at least make sure they are ready !

Old 08-18-2011, 09:12 PM

8,499 posts, read 19,753,909 times
Because it's got kids on it the same as a school bus.

I think that's true & when you think about it, it should be true. There are still someone's children involved. I even believe that there was once a movement to have people have to stop for ice cream trucks (but that did not pass).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,781,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
in my day, the bus hardly came to a standstill before 5 kids had to jump on at the stop.
Yep, and today the bus waits for the kid to appear , then waits again as the kid drags him/herself down the driveway.
Great way to teach them responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island