Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:12 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,854 times

Advertisements

Thanks for many useful suggestions!

For example, I did not know where Wendover is - never ventured in that part of Setauket. Seems a 3BR house sold late last year on 4 Wendover for slightly over $400k...
I will take a ride in those streets.

Currently, there are 2 or more houses on 25A/Main itself (on the southern side) for $250k or so... - very cheap. But the busy road and the imperfect condition are deterrents for me.
I went down south on Old Town Road - there is a 3BR house at 183 in my range, mint condition just before Gnarled Hollow...

I drove down and when I hit Sheep Pasture - could not recognize that region - the road is in absolutely terrible condition - just scary...

-----
Also, was not that familiar with the small streets off Christian. Will drive or walk to look around. There seems to be some promise: two houses (2BR) have sold on Erland over the last year for <$400k.
Perhaps, I just need to be patient and wait till the most suitable one comes up.

I am also keeping an eye on things off Thompson Hay - convenient for me to the university...

Last edited by 2011littlehouse; 08-21-2011 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Also what about Mills and the area over there? Im not sure if theres any health concerns (Gyrodyne etc) but that area is really cute.
Crooks
Yes, Crooks, Mills Rd and up (long hill) is on top of my list because one can cut through the trees and walk to campus in 5-10min.
It's a quiet, private community...
Just nothing in my range is being offered right now.
But very decent houses, big houses in the $400s pop up there...

I don't think there is toxicity concern there.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Yes, Crooks, Mills Rd and up (long hill) is on top of my list because one can cut through the trees and walk to campus in 5-10min.
It's a quiet, private community...
Just nothing in my range is being offered right now.
But very decent houses, big houses in the $400s pop up there...

I don't think there is toxicity concern there.
Long Hill is what its called.Find out about that bungalow neighborhood on the way to WMB.
Check with OBH on the toxicity...I remember hearing otherwise at one point, I may be wrong.

BTW just came across this beach house @ Cedar.
MLSLI.com
Sweet.

Crooks

Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Thanks for many useful suggestions!

For example, I did not know where Wendover is - never ventured in that part of Setauket. Seems a 3BR house sold late last year on 4 Wendover for slightly over $400k...
I will take a ride in those streets.

Currently, there are 2 or more houses on 25A/Main itself (on the southern side) for $250k or so... - very cheap. But the busy road and the imperfect condition are deterrents for me.
I went down south on Old Town Road - there is a 3BR house at 183 in my range, mint condition just before Gnarled Hollow...

I drove down and when I hit Sheep Pasture - could not recognize that region - the road is in absolutely terrible condition - just scary...

-----
Also, was not that familiar with the small streets off Christian. Will drive or walk to look around. There seems to be some promise: two houses (2BR) have sold on Erland over the last year for <$400k.
Perhaps, I just need to be patient and wait till the most suitable one comes up.

I am also keeping an eye on things off Thompson Hay - convenient for me to the university...
The two Erland houses are just off Christian. If memory serves, 17 was on the market for a long while because it was a 2BR. The other is the 'gate house' which is the 2nd house on the left as you turn onto Erland. It has been Up for sale a number of times in the years I've lived here. Further down Erland the houses get $$$. My favorite house was torn down (owner paid over $900k for a knock down!) for a mcmansion on the water. Ugh.

One of the south side 25A Setauket houses is in dire need of everything.

There's an older home on n side 25A in Poquott which is adorable. I was in the house a while back as I knew the previous owners. It looks like the new owners didn't do anything drastic to it.

The neighborhood of cottages Crooks referred to is off Mount Grey. I can't recall the name and it's driving me nuts. It is a community with it's own private beach area. Lots of cute homes. As you head up Mount Grey going toward West Meadow, look for the rock columns. They are on both sides of the road, but the bulk of the cottages are on the left as you head north.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Long Hill is what its called.Find out about that bungalow neighborhood on the way to WMB.
Check with OBH on the toxicity...I remember hearing otherwise at one point, I may be wrong.

MLSLI.com
Sweet.

Crooks
Long Hill is fine, no toxicity problems to speak of. Deer ticks are another story.
I have in-laws in a few houses there and friends in several friends in others and can personally vouch that it is a great neighborhood. There are singles, families, retirees -- a mixed bag of people. The convenience factor to SBU is a big plus.

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:

MLSLI.com
Sweet.

Crooks

Wow, high taxes for a 2 BR house!

Quote:
MLSLI.com
Sweet.
Crooks
Sweet, indeed!
I drove there a week ago. Value of houses like this made me consider going further east (skipping over Port Jeff village)...
It will take an effort for me to keep the yard so immaculate, but...
I could see it as a summer vacation home for my kids, but as my primary residence it will mean a daily not idyllic commute for me (20min or so).
That's why I go back and forth and want to exhaust the possibilities of staying in Stony Brook / Setauket - if the right house comes on the market - a house that will allow me to walk/bike to the university.

I am not a green fanatic at all, but want to do my share to avoid excess, pollution (incl. driving whenever possible) and just live happy and simple within my means.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
It is unfortunate that Miller Place taxes are high. There are a lot of cute homes there.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The two Erland houses are just off Christian. If memory serves, 17 was on the market for a long while because it was a 2BR. The other is the 'gate house' which is the 2nd house on the left as you turn onto Erland. It has been Up for sale a number of times in the years I've lived here. Further down Erland the houses get $$$. My favorite house was torn down (owner paid over $900k for a knock down!) for a mcmansion on the water. Ugh.

One of the south side 25A Setauket houses is in dire need of everything.

There's an older home on n side 25A in Poquott which is adorable. I was in the house a while back as I knew the previous owners. It looks like the new owners didn't do anything drastic to it.

The neighborhood of cottages Crooks referred to is off Mount Grey. I can't recall the name and it's driving me nuts. It is a community with it's own private beach area. Lots of cute homes. As you head up Mount Grey going toward West Meadow, look for the rock columns. They are on both sides of the road, but the bulk of the cottages are on the left as you head north.
Bingo....thanks OBH

Old 08-21-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I suspect theres a "Other" room.

Not too high for a private beach on .4.
Looks like a great home.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island