Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 06:46 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,577,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
:think: umm...12 inches=1 foot...always has... always will.....
Well, now, actually the conversion is about 1 inch of rain = 10 inches (give or take) of snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:46 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,199,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Oh My!!

The eye is eroding already...shame

I should really stop posting the inevitable. I really want to see the south shore evacuated.

https://www.gplus.com/Hurricanes/Ins...h#.TlguQl1DSSo

Hurricane? New Yorkers soak up the beach - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/hurricane-yorkers-soak-beach-225117758.html - broken link)

Hurricane IRENE Forecast Discussion
For once, I hope you are 100% in the right!!!!!

Good luck!!!!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 2,692,295 times
I hear Mangano ordered evacuations for south of Sunrise Hwy.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:59 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,068,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
I hear Mangano ordered evacuations for south of Sunrise Hwy.
That's because Nassau will bear the brunt of the storm. NOAA currently predicts landfall in East Atlantic Beach.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:04 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,917,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
BLAH...its only gonna be 75mph winds and rain when it gets here. Why is everyone acting like its the end of the world??
Quote:
Oh My!!

The eye is eroding already...shame

I should really stop posting the inevitable. I really want to see the south shore evacuated.

https://www.gplus.com/Hurricanes/Ins...h#.TlguQl1DSSo

Hurricane? New Yorkers soak up the beach - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/hurricane-yorkers-soak-beach-225117758.html - broken link)

Hurricane IRENE Forecast Discussion
It may be weakening, but a Cat 1 is nothing to laugh at especially for a place like New York whose buildings are probably not hurricane coded. In 2004 a Cat 4 named Charley slammed into SW Florida where it proceeded up the state and weakened to a Cat 1 by the time it reached Orlando (another place like NY that doesn't see many hurricanes). There was immense flooding, roofs blown off, windows broken out, and lots of storm surge and beach erosion. Although I totally get your skeptic-optimism, remember that microbursts do a considerable amount of the damage in Cat 1 storms as well as the flooding. As a person who holds my own hurricane parties and rarely bats an eye due to my inland location, remember that most of NYC is closer to the ocean than Orlando and a direct hit by a Cat 1 has the potential to be very problematic for the region. Good luck New York!

EDIT: Not to mention downed trees and power lines which stayed that way for 2 weeks. No hot shower, no AC, no lights, cold showers, and dodging trees as crews work to clear them. While a Cat 1 isn't going to be Armageddon, it's gonna be a big freakin' pain in the a$$.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 08-26-2011 at 07:14 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,770,743 times
Im 9 feet 8 inches above sea level. Our house is south of Merrick Road and we are close to a canal (about 3 houses away from the street where the canal ends). Guess we are screwed!

What makes things worse is my husband is stubborn and refuses to evacuate! I dont know what to do. I wish he would listen to common sense, he loves this house too much to leave it alone..

Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 PM

939 posts, read 1,839,202 times
Mandatory evacuation in Nassau for all areas south of Sunrise Highway from the Queens line to Rockville Centre; and south of Merrick Rd from Rockville Centre to the Nassau-Suffolk line.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:54 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,343,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
I lived in Orlando Florida in 2004 when we had 3 hurricanes come through Central Florida within a 6 week period.

Believe it or not, taping and boarding windows doesn't do much good. Google it yourself if you don't believe me. Hurricane shutters work well, but I can't imagine you being able to get them installed before Sat/Sun, plus I have no idea how expensive they are.

Here are some tips:

Fill up any cars you have to full. The lines at the gas stations were incredibly long for a week after each hurricane.

Fill your tub(s) with water to use if the toilet stops working. You can fill the toilet with the bath water and use to flush.

Have flashlights and batteries.

Have non-perishable food and water. Lights could be out for a week or more. They were in Florida and were on LI during Hurricane Gloria where I lived.

Try to keep your gadgets as charged as possible. Use your cell phone sparingly and only when necessary. Even better get a charger you can use in the car. You may not have electricity, but run your car for 10 minutes and charge the phone.

Have games, books, anything to entertain yourself without needing electricity.

Still 3 days away. Anything could happen and I wouldn't panic yet, but keep an eye on things.
We rode out Andrew back in 92 in S. Florida. I like all these tips mentioned. Back then we did not have cell phones tho LOL. Definitely fill up all tanks with gas and also get plenty of cash from the ATM in case power goes out for longer than you are expecting. If you have a generator this is also the time to make sure it's set to go.

Stay safe everyone. To be honest I never expected a hurricane to hit that far north.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:57 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,343,594 times
Quote:
HEH...Now that this tropical pussycat is weakening more people are climbing aboard the pessimist bandwagon.

PS- The liquor stores were empty. may want to stock up for the "hurricane" party. I will be serving hurricanes at mine and they will be a lot stronger then what mother nature will serve up.

Hurricane, New Orleans Style recipe

1 oz white rum
1 oz Jamaican dark rum
1 oz Bacardi® 151 rum
3 oz orange juice
3 ozunsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 oz grenadine syrup
crushed ice

FYI those things are FANTASTIC!! YUM....

Old 08-26-2011, 09:02 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,571,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
It may be weakening, but a Cat 1 is nothing to laugh at especially for a place like New York whose buildings are probably not hurricane coded. In 2004 a Cat 4 named Charley slammed into SW Florida where it proceeded up the state and weakened to a Cat 1 by the time it reached Orlando (another place like NY that doesn't see many hurricanes). There was immense flooding, roofs blown off, windows broken out, and lots of storm surge and beach erosion. Although I totally get your skeptic-optimism, remember that microbursts do a considerable amount of the damage in Cat 1 storms as well as the flooding. As a person who holds my own hurricane parties and rarely bats an eye due to my inland location, remember that most of NYC is closer to the ocean than Orlando and a direct hit by a Cat 1 has the potential to be very problematic for the region. Good luck New York!

EDIT: Not to mention downed trees and power lines which stayed that way for 2 weeks. No hot shower, no AC, no lights, cold showers, and dodging trees as crews work to clear them. While a Cat 1 isn't going to be Armageddon, it's gonna be a big freakin' pain in the a$$.
LOL...How long have you worked at snooze 12?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island