Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 08:17 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,926,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
LOL...How long have you worked at snooze 12?
I start next week. News 12 Interactive

But I can assure you that I have a lot of experience living through hurricanes, do you? Have fun without power for weeks, that was really the warning I was trying to sound, not panic and fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 08:35 PM

903 posts, read 3,571,136 times
Alexie27-thanks for all the information

Old 08-26-2011, 08:58 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,390,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
You're kidding right?
No, i am not. Ill talk to you on monday, when the tropical storm is gone, and we are all alive, minus a few trees, and some wet basements.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:08 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,573,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post

But I can assure you that I have a lot of experience living through hurricanes, do you? Have fun without power for weeks, that was really the warning I was trying to sound, not panic and fear.
Yo Flori-duh

Old 08-26-2011, 09:16 PM

^ Is that a CAT 1 or CAT 2??

Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,859,506 times
Quote:

I find it quite startling that there are so many scoffers. I guarantee that most of these scoffers never lived through a hurricane, it's no laughing matter. Talk to anyone who was told to evacuate and decided to wait it out in their home, if they ares still alive after the hurricane hits, when interviewed 99% of them stated they would never do that again.

Another point not mentioned about the wind speeds. The wind speeds are measured at 20-30 feet from the ground. The higher you get, the stronger the winds. Buildings that are hundreds of feet off the ground will experience stronger winds. It's not uncommon for an 80MPH wind to hit the base of building and then at 100 feet the winds are at 120MPH or greater.

This will play a huge role in the taller buildings and skyscrapers. Anything over 50 feet from the ground will experience stronger winds than they are stating on the news. You could see Cat1 winds at the base of building and then experience Cat3 winds on the 10th+ floor, all while it is rated at Cat1.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 PM

102 posts, read 154,982 times
Quote:
It may be weakening, but a Cat 1 is nothing to laugh at especially for a place like New York whose buildings are probably not hurricane coded. In 2004 a Cat 4 named Charley slammed into SW Florida where it proceeded up the state and weakened to a Cat 1 by the time it reached Orlando (another place like NY that doesn't see many hurricanes). There was immense flooding, roofs blown off, windows broken out, and lots of storm surge and beach erosion. Although I totally get your skeptic-optimism, remember that microbursts do a considerable amount of the damage in Cat 1 storms as well as the flooding. As a person who holds my own hurricane parties and rarely bats an eye due to my inland location, remember that most of NYC is closer to the ocean than Orlando and a direct hit by a Cat 1 has the potential to be very problematic for the region. Good luck New York!

EDIT: Not to mention downed trees and power lines which stayed that way for 2 weeks. No hot shower, no AC, no lights, cold showers, and dodging trees as crews work to clear them. While a Cat 1 isn't going to be Armageddon, it's gonna be a big freakin' pain in the a$$.
You clearly have no clue as buildings in New York aren't just thrown up anyhow. A category 5 storm could slam New York City and shattered glass here and there would be the only result, as far as the buildings are concerned.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,573,928 times
Quote:
^ Is that a CAT 1 or CAT 2??

lol, good reply

Old 08-26-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreetmafia View Post
You clearly have no clue as buildings in New York aren't just thrown up anyhow. A category 5 storm could slam New York City and shattered glass here and there would be the only result, as far as the buildings are concerned.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but there are other buildings other than high rises to be concerned about. Lots of beautiful, old (ahem historic), FLAT roofed buildings that probably don't have roof connector straps (mandated in Fl after Andrew) which hold the roof to the frame. As a matter of fact, I wonder home many row house roofs are not up to hurricane code. Then there's the older high rises that probably lack shatter proof glass as you indicated by the admission that a Cat 5 would in fact produce such destruction. Where I absolutely had a good laugh is when you said that a Cat 5 could slam NYC and the only damage to the buildings would be shattered glass lol. To which I must reply?? Cat 5's gut entire floors of skyscrapers bud, while at the same time popping hurricane glass out of the windows due to pressure and wind. Again, you guys up north probably have little to worry about with Irene as the storm is only going to be a Cat 1, but be prepared for the possibility of minor roof damage and power outages. Heck if it even shifts a little more to the east, I'd say most of NYC itself would be spared the worst part of the 80mph sustained winds. However a slight shift east is not the best of news for most reading this thread as that puts the storm's landfall on LI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
lol, good reply

Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,859,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreetmafia View Post

175MPH winds and only broken glass? Sure the commercial skyscrapers would not topple over but I guarantee you that residential homes would be wiped off of their foundations with 175 MPH wind speeds. Commercial skyscrapers would be gutted with only the shell of the skyscraper standing. The windows and internals would be completely damaged in skyscrapers.

Residential homes in New York are engineered for only 90 - 110MPH winds. Even then, they will experience severe damage. At 170MPH winds, the homes are GONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island