Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:41 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
21 deaths. Over 4 million without power, many for several days. Billions in damage. Yeah, this was a small storm

It may not have been the apocalypse, but it certainly was a huge storm that many people are going to have to pick up the pieces from. It is nothing to make light of.
Nobody is making light out of anything.
It was a bad storm, we've had them before. I hope everyone is safe and will recover quickly. No one wants anyone to suffer.
However the subject has been the media and our politicians sensationalizing the matter and the repercussions in the future from this "cry wolf" scenario...and it wasn't even really that..it was a ratings bonanza and political posturing, that will probably cause far more casualties when the real thing hits us and people act indifferent towards it.
Very bad call
I'm not a meteorologist, never claimed to be one but looking back on past storms, patterns, opinions,facts, and data it wasn't hard to see what was happening.
I know some people on the inside of the news industry. It was all ratings. This storm was promoted to be hyped to the last drop of rain and ride the potential flooding beyond it.
The cherry on top, and I said it..ready
"we dodged a bullet"
just like earl.
I understand people and communities did get hit hard in different ways. whether it be floods, tropical storms, heavy rains, snow....People for the most part know what to do once advised of the impending situation or weather pattern...happens year round. My vitriol isn't to knock the storm itself but those over....really over reporting it and scaring the heck out of people, forcing them from their homes, cutting their power, panicking in stores and on the roadways causing god knows how many accidents.

Several people were hoping the hype was true. A lot of sick people want to see carnage, destruction. They wanted to see this thing slam New York
It's like a major prize fighting event
NEW YORK Vs. IRENE
They were let down

what really irked....amused me was the obvious disappointment of many so called journalists when the rain was dying the wind wasn't there. Their faces dour...like their candy was stolen. No carnage, chaos, total destruction. no falling skyscrapers.
Anderson Cooper wanted to cry
At 5 am I tuned into all the channels to see how they fought to keep it alive
yep my power or cable never went out
Erin Colter was on the long beach pier with a frickin rope tied around her waste fearing she would be blown away
I kid you not...she was wearing a baseball cap and her hair wasn't blowing...I spied a hand on the far left of the screen yank the rope taught..I kid you not.
people were dancing in the background riding bikes. Wish I saved it. I hope it turns up on Youtube.

So I understand those that did sustain damage or loss of property being upset but we understood it was happening. The spirit of the thread is the hype...the Propaganda involved.

And the catch all response from few is "better safe than sorry...go full throttle"

sorry...big negative
If you want to deprive someone of liberty and expose them to thought or behavioral type controls you can point to any past event to validate totalitarian behavior.
Terrorist attacks now equal invasive pat downs at airports
Natural events lead to politicians ordering you out of your homes instead of acknowledging that US citizens can be responsible for their actions.
They stepped over the lines
next time more people will not take it seriously
it's a credibility issue...losing that faith and trust can be dangerous.
who looks like the bigger fool...us or them?

Moderator cut: copyright picture

Last edited by Keeper; 08-29-2011 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: all pictures from newspapers are copyrighted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I'm sure there are people in upstate NY and Vermont who are wishing someone had "hyped" the storm to them.

Same with the people on OBX who refused to leave and are now stranded because the road washed out. Sure hope they bought the "hype" and laid in more than a day or two worth of supplies.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:54 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm sure there are people in upstate NY and Vermont who are wishing someone had "hyped" the storm to them.

Same with the people on OBX who refused to leave and are now stranded because the road washed out. Sure hope they bought the "hype" and laid in more than a day or two worth of supplies.

Really. Whose fault is that?

Watch the news...see swirly red ominous looking spinning thing..show possible trajectory and say bad,bad storm. You guys may want to leave.

But no 24/7 endless scroll, endless reports, complete saturation with endless news conferences and people going door to door with fill in the blank toe tags and body bags. Guess that wasn't enough.

We as a society think we have come soooo far yet 200 some odd years ago Paul Revere on a horse galloping through new england in the dead of night successfully warned the populace that the Whole british empire was coming.**(no i don't need a history lesson)**
If they had news 12 or anderson cooper we probably would have lost.

By the way Irenes latest casualty...guess it wasn't hyped enough for him either:
In Newday.com breaking news:
"officials: Irene kills one in waters off shirley. The knucklehead was a 60 year old and was wind surfing. Irene didn't kill him, stupidity did. Of course it happened in Shirley.

Last edited by LongIslandCitizen; 08-28-2011 at 08:19 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 08:10 PM

142 posts, read 265,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Nobody is making light out of anything.
It was a bad storm, we've had them before. I hope everyone is safe and will recover quickly. No one wants anyone to suffer.
However the subject has been the media and our politicians sensationalizing the matter and the repercussions in the future from this "cry wolf" scenario...and it wasn't even really that..it was a ratings bonanza and political posturing, that will probably cause far more casualties when the real thing hits us and people act indifferent towards it.
Very bad call
I'm not a meteorologist, never claimed to be one but looking back on past storms, patterns, opinions,facts, and data it wasn't hard to see what was happening.
I know some people on the inside of the news industry. It was all ratings. This storm was promoted to be hyped to the last drop of rain and ride the potential flooding beyond it.
The cherry on top, and I said it..ready
"we dodged a bullet"
just like earl.
I understand people and communities did get hit hard in different ways. whether it be floods, tropical storms, heavy rains, snow....People for the most part know what to do once advised of the impending situation or weather patter...happens year round. My vitriol isn't to knock the storm itself but those over....really over reporting it and scaring the heck out of people, forcing them from their homes, cutting their power, panicking in stores and on the roadways causing god knows how many accidents.

Several people were hoping the hype was true. A lot of sick people want to see carnage, destruction. They wanted to see this thing slam New York
It's like a major prize fighting event
NEW YORK Vs. IRENE
They were let down

what really irked....amused me was the obvious disappointment of many so called journalists when the rain was dying the wind wasn't there. Their faces dour...like their candy was stolen. No carnage, chaos, total destruction. no falling skyscrapers.
Anderson Cooper wanted to cry
At 5 am I tuned into all the channels to see how they fought to keep it alive
yep my power or cable never went out
Erin Colter was on the long beach pier with a frickin rope tied around her waste fearing she would be blown away
I kid you not...she was wearing a baseball cap and her hair wasn't blowing...I spied a hand on the far left of the screen yank the rope taught..I kid you not.
people were dancing in the background riding bikes. Wish I saved it. I hope it turns up on Youtube.

So I understand those that did sustain damage or loss of property being upset but we understood it was happening. The spirit of the thread is the hype...the Propaganda involved.

And the catch all response from few is "better safe than sorry...go full throttle"

sorry...big negative
If you want to deprive someone of liberty and expose them to thought or behavioral type controls you can point to any past event to validate totalitarian behavior.
Terrorist attacks now equal invasive pat downs at airports
Natural events lead to politicians ordering you out of your homes instead of acknowledging that US citizens can be responsible for their actions.
They stepped over the lines
next time more people will not take it seriously
it's a credibility issue...losing that faith and trust can be dangerous.
who looks like the bigger fool...us or them?

Best post I've seen on here regarding the storm.

Thank you. At least you've got one person listening to reason and common sense.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:22 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,638 times
Overall Irene has caused the following on the east coast states:

* Death toll at 25 and rising
* 5 million people are without power
* Areas experiencing 500 year flood levels
* Thousands of homes damaged
* Damage in the billions
* Record breaking flooding

It's ironic that they said the gov't under-reacted with Katrina. Now they are saying they over-reacted with Irene. You just can't win.

They just had the governor in Vermont on TV who is now in "hot water" because he did not order an evacuation and the area is experiencing devastating flooding and people are trapped in their homes and lives might be lost because of that.

It is always better err on the side of caution. The above stats show that Irene was a devastating storm and it is not over, the flooding will continue.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Well all - I lost my cable at 5:30AM Saturday and could no longer enjoy the New12 news-twits doing their drama routine. The last I saw was the news-twit on a leash standing on the Long Beach pier yapping about the water, flooding and pending end of Island as we know it - and nothing after that - I feel so cheated.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:29 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
However the subject has been the media and our politicians sensationalizing the matter and the repercussions in the future from this "cry wolf" scenario...and it wasn't even really that..it was a ratings bonanza and political posturing
Unfortunately, every news 'event' will be handled by the media and politicians in this manner (it has been this way for some time and it is probably only getting worse), is that a surprise?

I have no problem with the fact that the storm didn't live up to the "hype" in some areas - it sounds like some people watched far too much TV coverage and are just as disappointed as some of the news people that it wasn't worse.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:04 AM

137 posts, read 249,370 times
I haven't had any TV with it's news service (my choice) since 2003 or so. So I wasn't glued to any TV news coverage or mashing the refresh button on News12s website. I get my weather news from the NWS. Sure, I guess the TV news hyped the storm a bit, they seem to hype everything, which is one reason why I don't watch TV at all. But from the various postings here on these forums I don't see anyone that that I'd label as having overreacted. Maybe the NyahNyah naysayers are preaching to the wrong audience? Open an account with News12 and tell them how silly they are.

I'm in SW Nassau 3 blocks from an inlet with a marina. The folks within 2 blocks were flooded into their basements & main floors at about 8am high tide. I have no basement and had about 2 Feet to spare on the foundation, very very lucky. Folks further away, up to many blocks, still lost their basements.

No power here since about 11am yesterday, running on generators. Geez, went through about 5G on a 7500W generator already. Ran a line to my neighbor's house, so I'm sharing it. Got about 15G left in cans. Shockingly, no trees near me went down, some large limbs, but nothing that effected the lines. We just need a reset as far as we all can see & tell. My old disused CV line came down at the pole. I've got it wrapped up nice & neat to remove later this week. Hah! Now I can see the lousy splice work on it and why it caused me such grief during wet weather. Great work CV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Oh yes, a neighbor with property & vacation house in upstate NY has heard the flooding is very bad. A friend of hers that lives up there works in the Red Cross but she can't even get out.

My mother lives in Ohio & saw an huge convoy of power utility vehicles heading eastbound on Friday, I believe.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:37 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Katrina changed everything. I agree with the media over reacting on every single issue though. There are situations where its silly and avoidable, but sometimes we can live with it. We have to figure out an alternative way to keep numbnuts inside their homes without installing the fear in the public. Moreover with hurricanes its complicated because in this area this happens only once in 2 decades or something, the media will always go crazy on such opportunities. We need one or two Irenes every year so that people (and subsequently the media) can calm down. Now lets sign up for that shall we ?

Having said that we seriously need to look at people panicking and scrambling for stuff.... wow it was a mad house. Someone has said it before that a calamity surely brings out the true nature of the people. How are the return lines today ? Any reports ?

News 12 was a joke.... that reporter, whatz her name ? Erin something.... wow, I think she used up all her voice, what a work of art. They should just freeze her somewhere till the next one comes before unleashing her on us.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
I took the storm for what it was...not as dangerous as Gloria, but still something to be taken seriously. Seeing how trees topple around here in 70MPH winds, what do you think most of the island will look like with sustained 100MPH winds? You would have a lot of peoples houses crushed and no power for weeks.

As it is, I don't have power, and I have buried power lines. If anything, the cry wolf here should be heeded as just the opposite. This was a very weak storm in terms of winds, although that weakening slowed it down turned it into a huge rain event for everyone North and West of us, and the toll of that hasn't been calculated yet.

I hope that if a legitimate category 2 comes here that people aren't stupid enough to give the old "it ain't nuttin' ", because they might be really sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island