Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,800 times

Advertisements

I could almost hear the OP stamping his feet and rolling around on the floor as I read his post. Suck it up, guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Almost all of Westbury was out for 36 hours, from just before 2AM Sunday to 2PM Monday. And I'm one of the lucky ones, most outages still havent been fixed. This affected Post Ave, Maple Ave, pretty much the whole town except NE portions. Carle Place was out too. This was because of a tree on a primary power line. No LIPA trucks were seen at all on Sunday, and I didn't see any this AM. I finally had power when I got home this evening.
LIPA was completely unprepared, they didnt have enough crews or organization. There are STILL 350K out tonight. Meanwhile in NJ PSEG restored 400K of its 700K customers out.
I feel bad for all the businesses in town, esp food related, they probably had the throw out alot of spoiled food. You'd think they'd (LILCO/LIPA) have learned something after Gloria.
I think if a real hurricane comes here I'm leaving LI.
Maybe LIPA read your thread and decided the storm was no big deal so no precautions necessary

Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,106 times
Yeah, I have to give a nod to LIPA this time around. Some areas really looked like a war zone, despite this being a relatively minor event (for L.I.). The amount of whining is rather pathetic, if you ask me. Do you have your health, your home, and running water, even if it is cold? You're doing pretty well then and have nothing to complain about.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
So which is it, was the storm overhyped or did it cause extensive damage? Media attention aside, this showed us what even a tropical storm can do to LI - stop complaining and be thankful it wasn't worse.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:44 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
They have to prioritize. Of course everyone wants to be the first one to get their power back. Last year they were overprepared for an OVERHYPED storm and that cost money. Guess it's only overhyped till it affects you.

They have to clean up live wires that are down, untangle wires from trees, the trees need to be removed, poles uprighted etc etc. And if the service to your house came down, that will take even longer. They start big and work their way down.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:52 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushhog View Post
Hobrook, no power since Sunday a.m. Still waiting.
Wow. We only lost power for about half an hour on Sunday, both at my SO's and at my place (I called the landlord).

However, neighbors say that downed trees took out a few lines closer to Main Street, so maybe you've been affected by that.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:14 AM

137 posts, read 249,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Almost all of Westbury was out for 36 hours, from just before 2AM Sunday to 2PM Monday. And I'm one of the lucky ones, most outages still havent been fixed. This affected Post Ave, Maple Ave, pretty much the whole town except NE portions. Carle Place was out too. This was because of a tree on a primary power line. No LIPA trucks were seen at all on Sunday, and I didn't see any this AM. I finally had power when I got home this evening.
LIPA was completely unprepared, they didnt have enough crews or organization. There are STILL 350K out tonight. Meanwhile in NJ PSEG restored 400K of its 700K customers out.
I feel bad for all the businesses in town, esp food related, they probably had the throw out alot of spoiled food. You'd think they'd (LILCO/LIPA) have learned something after Gloria.
I think if a real hurricane comes here I'm leaving LI.
John, they couldn't do much except assess the situation & formulate a response till Monday. Nobody was going up in a bucket or climbing a pole in Sunday's wind, and trees were still coming down. Can't do work up in the air in weather like that. They were able to begin restorations sooner further south because the storm effects simply ended sooner there.

And they did call in an Out of State army of utility trucks, called them in all the way from Wyoming, I heard. My mother lives near Columbus, Ohio, and saw hundreds in a convoy headed eastbound Friday on 70. Surely they were separated to respond to different areas of the east coast & points north. Even then, they still had to pass through that chokepoint called NYC to get here.

That said...

IMHO there's absolutely some shenanigans going on with LIPA's response. As I posted yesterday, I live in what qualified as an 'Isolated Outage Area', 60 to 100 households effected. Last evening, the nearby golf course had about 6 utility trucks that were restoring their power and then they were going to leave all us residential houses surrounding them down. Geez, they have to drive right past us to get in/out of that place. Well, a neighbor kinda insisted that they reset our junk (maybe 4 boxes and 10 minutes) before they left the area. This also restored a traffic light on a fairly busy & dangerous road.

As much as I appreciate how it worked to my advantage (Huzzah!), how is restoring a golf course essential? It's not an evac shelter, a school, a hospital, an admin. center, etc. It's just a recreational place where folks wearing funny hats can play golf & have a cocktail dinner. If there's a different, more respectable purpose to it, well, I don't know of it. No major transmission lines come through there, it effects no one. We had no lines or trees down, just blown fuses. Shenanigans, right?

Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
JIW is a chronic complainer who sits in an apartment and pontificates about all of Long Island's problems. Perhaps if he owned a car and was able to assess the amount of damages himself, instead of relying on News12, he wouldn't be complaining about LIPA's recovery efforts.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
LIPA is doing great!
After the storm they had to wait until the winds died down before hey can access the damage. They need to know what trucks to send out as different trucks are needed for different jobs. Power outages can be from a transformer, a distribution line or a sub-station. They need to see where they're at and how to proceed. (a process that is not done over night). Drive around and notice how many trees are still down. LIPA needs to be able to access roads and yards to evaluate their plan of action, so it takes time.

Hospitals, schools, courts buildings etc will get priority, so will areas of high concentration. The cul-de-sac with 5 house will have to take a back seat to the neighborhood with 500 homes.

LIPA executives were probably gun-shy in ordering outside technicians as they were blasted for Hurricane Earl's overspending. Speaking of which cost $11 per family member. Not much $$ for additional support.

Don't blame LIPA, they are doing the best with these conditions.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:58 AM

137 posts, read 249,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
LIPA is doing great!
After the storm they had to wait until the winds died down before hey can access the damage. They need to know what trucks to send out as different trucks are needed for different jobs. Power outages can be from a transformer, a distribution line or a sub-station. They need to see where they're at and how to proceed. (a process that is not done over night). Drive around and notice how many trees are still down. LIPA needs to be able to access roads and yards to evaluate their plan of action, so it takes time.

Hospitals, schools, courts buildings etc will get priority, so will areas of high concentration. The cul-de-sac with 5 house will have to take a back seat to the neighborhood with 500 homes.

LIPA executives were probably gun-shy in ordering outside technicians as they were blasted for Hurricane Earl's overspending. Speaking of which cost $11 per family member. Not much $$ for additional support.

Don't blame LIPA, they are doing the best with these conditions.
By & large, I agree. That's a lot of work out there. Crud, imagine trying to sink a new pole and stabilize it in this waterlogged ground, for instance. But...

As I posted above, why'd LIPA bother restoring a golf course that has no bearing or impact on the power grid? Are golf & cocktails an essential priority? And I doubt what I saw was the only I-Know-Somebody-High-Up misallocation of resources. Get Main Street going so folks can get food & fuel. Get residential next. Then worry about recreation for bored trust fund babies later, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island