U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 PM

428 posts, read 928,871 times

Advertisements

Modern, newer homes, not so old school neighborhood, with our without kids (doesn't matter).

Can be north or south shore, but no further east than about Jones Beach/Mineola/Hicksville.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 12:34 PM

13,442 posts, read 16,185,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Modern, newer homes, not so old school neighborhood, with our without kids (doesn't matter).

Can be north or south shore, but no further east than about Jones Beach/Mineola/Hicksville.

Thank you.

Budget I'm assuming is 600K plus? I don't think any house built after 1995 is less than 3000 sq feet.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Budget I'm assuming is 600K plus? I don't think any house built after 1995 is less than 3000 sq feet.
Not even close to that budget. Damn, so is there ANY hope for L.I. then?

You're saying all of the houses are older? We're def. looking for a smaller house (can even be smaller than 2000 sq ft). I'm not from here, so I'm not familiar.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 32,076,703 times
Quote:

You're saying all of the houses are older? We're def. looking for a smaller house (can even be smaller than 2000 sq ft). I'm not from here, so I'm not familiar.
A lot of the houses are older and anything "cheap" is old plus in most cases in handyman condition. Remember, this is an old suburban area.

You can get an idea of prices and ages of homes in various communities on this website, the Multiple Listing Service of LI:

MLSLI.com

PS: One thing they don't do is show the square feet of the homes. That's not just this website either. It is a common practice on LI that realtors do not measure/report square footage of homes. Don't ask me why.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM

13,442 posts, read 16,185,528 times
Quote:

The vast majority of housing stock is 30 years old and counting.

The newer stock tends to be made up of very large and very expensive homes. The closet thing you'll get to affordable and modern is some of the newer townhouse communities, but they ain't cheap either.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The vast majority of housing stock is 30 years old and counting.

The newer stock tends to be made up of very large and very expensive homes. The closet thing you'll get to affordable and modern is some of the newer townhouse communities, but they ain't cheap either.
I see a lot of those smaller townhouse communities in Valley Stream/Lynbrook areas. They're cute, but you're right - they don't look cheap. Our budget is 400K max. I refuse to live in Queens.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM

38 posts, read 57,918 times
Quote:
I see a lot of those smaller townhouse communities in Valley Stream/Lynbrook areas. They're cute, but you're right - they don't look cheap. Our budget is 400K max. I refuse to live in Queens.
You can get a decent house in a decent area for 400K, but forget about anything new. You'd have to update yourself, which frankly, you're better off doing. You can build your dream home to suit your taste at your own pace, and choose the builder.

IMO, this site is better than MLSLI...you just have to set up a free account. If you work with a realtor you can get more detailed listings on the same site but it works just fine if you are working alone:

Welcome to Listingbook.com

Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM

9,788 posts, read 21,985,964 times
What's "old"?? To some, that's more than five years, to others ten, etc.
Can you be more specific? (And don't get your hopes up too high )

Old 08-31-2011, 02:21 PM

9,788 posts, read 21,985,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69er View Post
You can get a decent house in a decent area for 400K, but forget about anything new. You'd have to update yourself, which frankly, you're better off doing. You can build your dream home to suit your taste at your own pace, and choose the builder.

IMO, this site is better than MLSLI...you just have to set up a free account. If you work with a realtor you can get more detailed listings on the same site but it works just fine if you are working alone:

Welcome to Listingbook.com
You'll still be assigned to an agent...

Old 08-31-2011, 02:22 PM

38 posts, read 57,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
You'll still be assigned to an agent...
Yes, I was assigned to one but she never contacted me....of course, I put up bogus contact info...that might have had something to do with it

Site still works better than MLSLI even without the extra details a realtor can offer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island