Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 AM

428 posts, read 966,652 times

Advertisements

We found a few homes on the site you all recommended (MLSLI.com). Thank you!

Within our price range, we only found specific areas, which was surprising b/c I didn't expect for it to be consolidated in one area. That's easier however. A lot of Oceanside and a lot of Valley Stream (probably not surprising to L.I. natives). We actually don't mind those two towns. My husband prefers south shore. I prefer Rockville but prices are likely not affordable to us, and I'd prefer Carle Place, but husband thinks it's too far for commuting to work in Astoria.

So, we came up with some nice results in Valley Stream/Oceanside up to 400K.

Question about taxes: The taxes on some of these houses are $6-9,000. Is there more village tax than what's listed? Some list an additional village tax, and others don't list an addition village tax. We just want to keep the taxes within the range I listed above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,730,584 times
According to MLS rules the taxes listed are supposed to be total true taxes without STAR. That being said, not everyone follows the rules.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
According to MLS rules the taxes listed are supposed to be total true taxes without STAR. That being said, not everyone follows the rules.
I see. Thank you! it sounds accurate, but I wonder how some of these homes in the same area have $11,000 in taxes and some $7,000. What gives? (Both within about the same # of bed/bath).

Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 AM

9,923 posts, read 23,055,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
I see. Thank you! it sounds accurate, but I wonder how some of these homes in the same area have $11,000 in taxes and some $7,000. What gives? (Both within about the same # of bed/bath).
Same neighborhood? Possibilities (endless ):

different school district (generally, over 60% of L.I. RE taxes are for SD)
newer construction
more square footage (larger rooms, etc.)
garage/no garage
fireplace or not
porch or not
deck or not
pool or not
larger lot size
and so on...

(improvements w/o permits or C of Os--heaven forbid )

Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 AM

247 posts, read 508,810 times
I think they determine taxes based on how industrialized the nearby surroundings are. That's what I've heard from realtors, at least.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,730,584 times
Also, in Valley Stream, some may be within the Incorporated Village. This would add about $3000 to the taxes. Others may have a Valley Stream mailing address but be outside the incorporated village.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:10 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,587,111 times
Default A map of the Village of Valley Stream in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County

Valley Stream is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where many places with the community name as part of their mailing address (4,309 acres) are not in the community (2,258 acres).

As indicated by the acreage numbers, the Village of Valley Stream is only about 52% of the "Valley Stream, NY 11580 & 11581" postal zone. Hence, there is about an equal chance that a place with a "Valley Stream, NY 11580 or 11581" mailing address is NOT in the Village of Valley Stream:

Places that have a "Valley Stream, NY 11580 or 11581" mailing address that are not in the Village of Valley Stream are in the Hamlet of North Valley Stream, the Hamlet of Franklin Square, the Village of Malverne, the Hamlet of South Valley Stream and the Hamlet of Woodmere; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Valley Stream with a "Hewlett, NY 11557" mailing address.

A map of the Village of Valley Stream in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dc/Valley-stream-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Valley Stream is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where many places with the community name as part of their mailing address (4,309 acres) are not in the community (2,258 acres).

As indicated by the acreage numbers, the Village of Valley Stream is only about 52% of the "Valley Stream, NY 11580 & 11581" postal zone. Hence, there is about an equal chance that a place with a "Valley Stream, NY 11580 or 11581" mailing address is NOT in the Village of Valley Stream:

Places that have a "Valley Stream, NY 11580 or 11581" mailing address that are not in the Village of Valley Stream are in the Hamlet of North Valley Stream, the Hamlet of Franklin Square, the Village of Malverne, the Hamlet of South Valley Stream and the Hamlet of Woodmere; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Valley Stream with a "Hewlett, NY 11557" mailing address.

A map of the Village of Valley Stream in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/dc/Valley-stream-ny-map.gif (broken link)
I see. Thank you very much.

Hence the lower taxes if outside of the village of valley stream, correct??

Old 09-01-2011, 11:14 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,587,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Also, in Valley Stream, some may be within the Incorporated Village. This would add about $3000 to the taxes. Others may have a Valley Stream mailing address but be outside the incorporated village.
All villages in New York State are, by either legislative charter or village law, incorporated and using the term "incorporated village" implies that there are unincorporated villages, which there are not. Unincorporated areas are hamlets.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:15 AM

22,629 posts, read 36,582,375 times
Yes, if you are in an incorporated village, your taxes will be higher.

For example, in Garden City, listings will often give you the break down of taxes...it would say "taxes $8000, village taxes $4500".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island