U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:56 PM

20 posts, read 35,224 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I am a big fan of the forum but just registered. I am currently in highschool but just trying to see where my life might go...Let me explain. I live in Nassau County. I was planning on going to college at Nassau CC then transferring to Suny Old Westbury. I want to become an officer of the law. I like the stability of working for the government. Also I wouldnt mind the pay of Nassau cops lol. The problem is...I love my town but I know it will be to expensive for me and im tired of all the snobs around my area. I hate it. I do like the local FD and that is a big part of my life. I dont want to move out of the fire district but i know i have to. Now Since i know upstate and east li is cheaper than nassau. I would like to finish my education in nassau then possibly move because i like rural areas anyway but my definition of rural is different then most because im from nassau.... Not to the point of traveling 5 miles to the grocery store, im used to less than 30 seconds to get there. I know i would make less money in these areas but have a lower cost of living. I definately would raise a family so i would like an area with mid-upper test scores. With hospitals in closer proximaty. Lol i know im young but i am very pro-active. I heard good things about pittsford Ny. That is just alittle too far from my hometown though because my family is still in nassau and consider family very important. I like East Moriches and that area too but the schools are so-so. I have even considered San Diego LOL. Thanks alot, Rob lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 06:04 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,588,125 times
Manorville. Exits 69 -70 on the LIE. Very big, lot of farms, open spaces. Upper middle class for the most part but there are also many many developments with million dollar homes. Only a 10 mile drive east to Riverhead Where you have everything imaginable from shopping to dining, or 10 minute drive on sunrise and your in Westhampton Beach. The only stores that are in Manorville itself is a King Kullen shopping center with many stores on 111 and a Mcdonalds.

Its a great area, Good luck!

Old 09-02-2011, 06:50 AM

21,764 posts, read 33,189,833 times
You're in High School and these are the things you're worried about?

Get through college and then ... maybe start worrying about test scores. When I was in school Huntington was considered a great district, now many people feel they can't move there because of the schools....point being by the time you have kids much will have changed (except in districts you think you won't be able to afford anyway).

Worry about age-appropriate stuff right now. You'll get bogged down by this stuff soon enough.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:26 AM

5,126 posts, read 6,401,830 times
Pittsford NY is very expensive, and about a 7 hour drive. You like East LI, why not focus on that location and you could still be a NCPO.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:29 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,204,478 times
I've lived in a bunch of spots upstate...both rural and non-rural...and now LI. I'd choose here over pretty much any part of NY State. If you can afford it, I think this is the best the state has to offer.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Ok thanks for all your oppinions. I am still stuck on upstate for some reason. Also does anybody know about the fd in manorville? Does it have one?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Pittsford NY is very expensive, and about a 7 hour drive. You like East LI, why not focus on that location and you could still be a NCPO.
Well if I moved out there I would join scpd just because of the fact that I'm in suffolk. If I moved upstate I would join the monroe county police. I'm just tired of living on an island and that's probably why I would like upstate. Is pittsford like nassau expensive or upstate expensive? Thanks for your imput and everybody please keep your oppinions coming. Thanks, Rob

Old 09-02-2011, 11:48 AM

732 posts, read 1,644,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffythewild View Post
Well if I moved out there I would join scpd just because of the fact that I'm in suffolk.
Good luck with that! The demand for a SCPD job is usually through the roof compared to other police departments.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Manorville. Exits 69 -70 on the LIE. Very big, lot of farms, open spaces. Upper middle class for the most part but there are also many many developments with million dollar homes. Only a 10 mile drive east to Riverhead Where you have everything imaginable from shopping to dining, or 10 minute drive on sunrise and your in Westhampton Beach. The only stores that are in Manorville itself is a King Kullen shopping center with many stores on 111 and a Mcdonalds.

Its a great area, Good luck!
Ok thanks. I would probably move there if I did ever move out east. Again thanks everyone and keep your oppinions coming. Thanks, Rob

Old 09-02-2011, 12:41 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,588,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffythewild View Post
Ok thanks for all your oppinions. I am still stuck on upstate for some reason. Also does anybody know about the fd in manorville? Does it have one?

By FD you mean fire department im guessing. Yes actually, it is an extremely good FD and is actually one of the largest..largest in NYS if i am not mistaking. I remember always getting things in the mail from the FD when I lived in Manorville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island