Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:22 AM

6 posts, read 31,685 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are originally from the island, bought a home in Staten Island 15 years ago, and now have our home up for sale and we are moving back to be closer with family. We really like Lake Grove and Holbrook and looks like we will settle in either one once we find the right home. I have been drawn to Holbrook because the taxes seem, on the average, slightly less than Lake Grove. There's highs and lows on both sides, but for the most part, I can get a $460k to $500k home in Holbrook with a $7500/yr tax bill, and in Lake Grove the same home can run me $9,000/yr.

Now my big issue... Holbrooks next door neighbor, the airport. The town itself is not all that large, so if there is a problem it may not matter where in Holbrook I would move to, but there are 2 homes I am very interested in that when I look on a satellite map, I would be less than 3,000 feet from the airport property line.

If you live in Holbrook, or if you know enough to shed some light on this, can you please tell me if the flight path traffic is a noise nuisance?? Would I be hearing the thunder of roaring jet engines? Or be close enough to wave hello to anyone sitting in a window seat?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 09:36 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,759 times
I always thought of ISP as La Boheme.

However....if you can eat the Village Tax.

Lake Grove is nicer

C

Old 08-17-2007, 01:46 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,658 times
Holbrook is bigger then you think, go to the east of grundy ave or east of broadway , you can get a nice home for that money. and you will not hear the planes. Also check on that tax thing because I know people paying more than 9000 in holbrook. holbrook is part in islip town and part brookhaven.it is a screwy line also. also part of lake grove if not all I believe goes to sachem school district as does all of Holbrook, so your school taxes will be the same. Also sachem has two high schools now, if you have kids you mite want to consider that also. The area you pick wiill dictate what school you go to, old or new. Also if you are looking at houses 3000 ft away from the airport I would think it would be loud,go stand in walbaums parking lot,up in town on union ave and you will see. Anything else,ask I live in holbrook.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:12 PM

Thanks, NY62. I'm sure I will have more questions. Parts of Lake Grove go to Middle Country SD. I had that issue when looking for homes there. I've seen a few homes that I think are east of Broadway. One was on Glensummer Rd which I believe is now sold. Another that I am interested in is close to Ballard Circle (I don't want to give the address on a public forum). That one concerns me. But the house is real nice. Do you know if MacArthur is a 24/7 airport? If there is a last flight in and out by a certain time at night, I can deal with that. During the day my kids will be in school (middle school and high school) and my wife and I both work normal business hours.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:12 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,455 times
I believe -- unless they've changed it during the last few years -- that Islip MacArthur Airport closes at 11 pm. No flights in or out. This makes things interesting for people who are on a flight that was SUPPOSED to arrive before 11 pm but got delayed en route, so the plane has to be diverted to LaGuardia or Newark (yes that happened to me twice).

I'm not sure what time in the morning it "opens".... I know there are flights that leave at 7 a.m. but not sure if that is the earliest or not. I keep thinking 6 a.m or 6:30??

Their website doesn't seem to have that info.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post
I believe -- unless they've changed it during the last few years -- that Islip MacArthur Airport closes at 11 pm. No flights in or out. This makes things interesting for people who are on a flight that was SUPPOSED to arrive before 11 pm but got delayed en route, so the plane has to be diverted to LaGuardia or Newark (yes that happened to me twice).

I'm not sure what time in the morning it "opens".... I know there are flights that leave at 7 a.m. but not sure if that is the earliest or not. I keep thinking 6 a.m or 6:30??

Their website doesn't seem to have that info.
That is true....Ive been foiled by the curfew in my travels.

C

Old 08-17-2007, 04:10 PM

I think 11 oclock is the last flight, but I have picked people up as late as 1130 when flights were delayed.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3838 View Post
Thanks, NY62. I'm sure I will have more questions. Parts of Lake Grove go to Middle Country SD. I had that issue when looking for homes there. I've seen a few homes that I think are east of Broadway. One was on Glensummer Rd which I believe is now sold. Another that I am interested in is close to Ballard Circle (I don't want to give the address on a public forum). That one concerns me. But the house is real nice. Do you know if MacArthur is a 24/7 airport? If there is a last flight in and out by a certain time at night, I can deal with that. During the day my kids will be in school (middle school and high school) and my wife and I both work normal business hours.
The area where Glensummer is ,is great what kind of home were you looking for because there are a few for sale in that development and they usually go very fast because people want to live there,also they go to sachem east high school , and that is the new one also the new middle school. I have kids in both. that area is called timber ridge you could also go through that development over patchogue holbrook road and you would be in new england village another nice development. I will get back to you on ballard circle.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
The area where Glensummer is ,is great what kind of home were you looking for because there are a few for sale in that development and they usually go very fast because people want to live there,also they go to sachem east high school , and that is the new one also the new middle school. I have kids in both. that area is called timber ridge you could also go through that development over patchogue holbrook road and you would be in new england village another nice development. I will get back to you on ballard circle.

We're looking for a 4BR/2.5BA colonial. One or 2 car garage. Basement is a plus but not necessary as long as there's an attic. We've seen about a dozen homes in Holbrook so far. Our agent will be taking us to a few more in a couple of weeks. We will also be looking at a new construction home on Victor Street. I'm online everyday looking at either what's new or what's come down in price. I concur with what you said about Glensummer and that surrounding area. My wife and I really liked that section.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3838 View Post
We're looking for a 4BR/2.5BA colonial. One or 2 car garage. Basement is a plus but not necessary as long as there's an attic. We've seen about a dozen homes in Holbrook so far. Our agent will be taking us to a few more in a couple of weeks. We will also be looking at a new construction home on Victor Street. I'm online everyday looking at either what's new or what's come down in price. I concur with what you said about Glensummer and that surrounding area. My wife and I really liked that section.
I will check for you in that area, I live in that developement also so I know it first hand. It is hard to find basements but they are around. More so in new england village. If you can stay in this area your home value will be pretty stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island