Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:11 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
This is my big fear!!!
Crystal meth is alot more popular in the rural areas where everyone is running to. Easier to cook meth in abandoned barns when only Barney Fife is on duty than to do it in a more populated area.
I'm sure eventually it will get here just like crack. However, crack didn't devastate LI like it did other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 06:31 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Crystal meth is alot more popular in the rural areas where everyone is running to. Easier to cook meth in abandoned barns when only Barney Fife is on duty than to do it in a more populated area.
I'm sure eventually it will get here just like crack. However, crack didn't devastate LI like it did other areas.
It didnt?

Dude,where do you live... Muttontown?
It DEVASTATED communities on LI.

Still does its damage today.
Meth and Heroin are plentiful here.

Heres the kicker ...In Suffolk its in 3Village and Half Hollow just as much as William Floyd and Bellport.

Why...everyones working and nobodys parenting.

Wheres a cop when you need one....care to chime in officers?
This kind of Suburban slumber has gotta drive you batty.
"Heroin...Not my kid, not here"

Any triage nurses out there?

Best

C

Old 08-18-2007, 06:58 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Don't worry, it'll be in your backyard soon enough.

One nice thing about the south, we can usually get concealed handgun permits without much problem. Makes for a much more polite society.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:59 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
It didnt?

Dude,where do you live... Muttontown?
It DEVASTATED communities on LI.

Still does its damage today.
Meth and Heroin are plentiful here.

Heres the kicker ...In Suffolk its in 3Village and Half Hollow just as much as William Floyd and Bellport.

Why...everyones working and nobodys parenting.

Wheres a cop when you need one....care to chime in officers?
This kind of Suburban slumber has gotta drive you batty.
"Heroin...Not my kid, not here"

Any triage nurses out there?

Best

C
Guess we've got different definitions of devastating? When I think of devastating I think of whole small communities ruined like you see in the midwest from meth, or Detroit from crack. Honestly, I know nothing about Bellport or William floyd (besides a parkway is named after the guy). I could only refer to my experience at the time in eastern Queens/western nassau.

I feel that a certain percentage of the population will be substance abusers no matter what drug is introduced. THey'll flock to whatever gives the best high at the cheapest price. Wow, who'd think they would be such educated consumers?

Old 08-19-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Guess we've got different definitions of devastating? When I think of devastating I think of whole small communities ruined like you see in the midwest from meth, or Detroit from crack. Honestly, I know nothing about Bellport or William floyd (besides a parkway is named after the guy). I could only refer to my experience at the time in eastern Queens/western nassau.

I feel that a certain percentage of the population will be substance abusers no matter what drug is introduced. THey'll flock to whatever gives the best high at the cheapest price. Wow, who'd think they would be such educated consumers?
The Rockaways...Hempstead???

Youre kiddin right.
C

Old 08-19-2007, 07:05 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
I worked at Huntington Hospitals in the late 1980's, Huntington was so nice then it is a shame.
Huntington is still wonderful/beautiful! The hospital has come a long way as well! We absolutely love it hear and couldn't imagine living anywhere else on the Island. There's just no place like it.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Huntington is still wonderful/beautiful! The hospital has come a long way as well! We absolutely love it hear and couldn't imagine living anywhere else on the Island. There's just no place like it.
Huntington IS beautiful

Huntinton Station is awful.

Port Jeff IS beautiful

Port Jeff Station is awful.

Maybe Robt Moses was right about some aspects of Public Transportation.
It seems that most areas near the Train suck.

The only downown I can think of with an LIRR stop that was seemingly spared of wandering misfits is Babylon.
I think moving to the Intermodal Mega Centers (like Mineola) is the defnitely right move and they should close 50 % of the stops to improve service to NYC.

The Ronkonkoma line should be the Riverhead line now that the population has shifted East.(Riv to NYC in 90 mins....why cant we?)
Maybe Yaphank would be a good spot for an Intermodal with all the stuff they have earmarked for development there.

Its a shame....God knows you cant get anywhere by car anymore.
C

Last edited by clamboy; 08-19-2007 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-19-2007, 08:32 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
The only downown I can think of with an LIRR stop that was seemingly spared of wandering misfits is Babylon.
You're right. I wonder if that's because it's a terminus. It could also have to do with being integral parts of a strong town. Syosset always seemed safe too.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:49 AM

172 posts, read 584,357 times
We just moved from LI to NC a few months ago. The area around the Walt Whitman Mall is a really nice area. There are gangs on LI, but not all over LI. I guess it's like anyplace else. We didn't move because we didn't like LI but to be closer to our children and grandchildren.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:35 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Don't worry, it'll be in your backyard soon enough.
It's like Sara Lee: nobody doesn't like it.

And, I've seen it kill people.

The writer Albert Camus talked about people who join forces with the pestilences. As much negativity as I bear in my heart, I will never be one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island