Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 PM

30 posts, read 66,190 times

Advertisements

Dwi on a bike=BIG LOSER,......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 08:59 AM

629 posts, read 1,695,840 times
I got a ticket just last week for texting while riding my bike and not wearing a seat belt.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 AM

939 posts, read 1,838,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Can you get a DWI on a bike?
Sorry, but no DWI on a bicycle. In New York State, DWI is limited to operating a motor vehicle. That does not include operating "human powered" devices like a bicycle. (For all of you doubters, go to the NYS VTL and look in Section 1192; then look at the definitions section.)

It's not the same for other states. Florida, for instance, allows arrest for DUI while operating a bicycle.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:28 AM

939 posts, read 1,838,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
What kind or type of ticket would you get for a bicycle infraction? Does it go on your (automobile) drivers license? Is it a summons, like jay walking?

Just curious - I was stopped by a police officer - who asked for my drivers license and threatened to give me a ticket.
You can receive the same ticket you would receive were you driving a car. It would require you to appear in court, just as any other moving violation would. You are not required to have a license to operate a bicycle, but that wouldn't stop you from getting a ticket. In fact, if an officer is intent on giving you a ticket and cannot reasonably establish your identity (ie, you have no identification) he can place you under arrest and transport you to a stationhouse until your identity can be confirmed. The reason for this is that a traffic ticket is actually a ticket in lieu of arrest; you can be arrested for any and all traffic offenses (although that usually doesn't happen.)

Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 AM

884 posts, read 1,401,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Apparently so (In Texas at least).

DWI on a bicycle?
Forget the DWI, how can you even stay upright on a two wheeler when drunk?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,799,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I'm always kind to the cyclists, but it really peeves me when I see bicycles ride up to a red light, pause for a second, and continue through the red light just because they don't feel like waiting for green. If I were to do that in a car, which is how these cyclists want to be treated, I would surely get a ticket.
It's true - cyclists want to be treated on the road with respect and that's understandable but I can't count the number of times I've seen them run right through stop signs, red lights, etc. It's like they pick and choose what they want.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,944,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
It's true - cyclists want to be treated on the road with respect and that's understandable but I can't count the number of times I've seen them run right through stop signs, red lights, etc. It's like they pick and choose what they want.
Want own cake, want eat cake.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 AM

7,791 posts, read 6,344,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I agree with the almost zero enforcement but perhaps a dozen or so years ago I was "forced" to stop at a corner, where I had the right of way, because the local bike club decided they shouldn't be required to stop at stop signs. Out of the blue, a NCPD patrol car was behind me, hit his siren, went around me and stopped the whole club about a block to my right.

As I returned from my errand about 20 minutes later...he was still writing tickets.
An entire bunch of bikes stopped for 1 cop?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:25 AM

730 posts, read 1,645,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
You can receive the same ticket you would receive were you driving a car. It would require you to appear in court, just as any other moving violation would. You are not required to have a license to operate a bicycle, but that wouldn't stop you from getting a ticket. In fact, if an officer is intent on giving you a ticket and cannot reasonably establish your identity (ie, you have no identification) he can place you under arrest and transport you to a stationhouse until your identity can be confirmed. The reason for this is that a traffic ticket is actually a ticket in lieu of arrest; you can be arrested for any and all traffic offenses (although that usually doesn't happen.)

PDCNRET - you sound knowledgeable. Next question - if i do get a ticket while on my bicycle does it go on my drivers license or is it like a summons that I either pay for or go to court to dispose of?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,944,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
PDCNRET - you sound knowledgeable. Next question - if i do get a ticket while on my bicycle does it go on my drivers license or is it like a summons that I either pay for or go to court to dispose of?
why would it go on your driver's license? we already agreed you don't need a driver's license to ride a bicycle. what happens if you don't have one? they would make you get one so they can put points on it???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island