Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times

Advertisements

Do you remember that day? I do, I was 7 years old and remember being out of school for a few days. It was fun as a kid making Igloos, snowmen, sleigh riding ect.. but now that I am older I have no patience for this type of storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
I was in 8th grade -- we had such a blast outside playing in the snow.

Does anyone from LI remember listening to WGBB for school closings?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I was in 8th grade -- we had such a blast outside playing in the snow.

Does anyone from LI remember listening to WGBB for school closings?

I recall that storm, my then fiancé was in the military and he decided to come home and surprise me. He told no one and I happened to look out my home window and in the distance I could make out this figure walking in the blizzard and all I could think of was that this was an idiot beyond all belief. As the said idiot continued his trek I marveled at why anyone would be that stupid with the snow as deep as it was. Suddenly, the figure started up my driveway and you can imagine my shock when I realized who it was. Suffice to say, it is just too bad I married him and didn't heed my initial thoughts that day.

Fast forward, my DH and I love to try to walk to a neighborhood pub on a night like tonight, always a few laughs. Unfortunately, the one in walking distance has closed and if we did venture out the IDIOT tag would be on us as the closest watering hole is a good half a mile from us now.

That's OK, when people went out to get milk, and bread I went for beer and vodka!!!!!!!

YES. WGBB. In fact, my HS was such a distance from my home that several times I got to school and when I got there they had decided to close!!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times

Bread & Milk - YouTube

Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times
All i remember of that storm was that it was impossible to find a parking space because of all he idiots putting their snow in the street.

Thank god i have bread and milk

Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,040,221 times
I was young but I remember walking to the grocery store with my old man. Didn't think we would make it back home.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:38 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,998,603 times
I remember. Couldn't drive to Manhasset LIRR, so I walked to the Sea Cliff LIRR - train to Jamaica, then changed to Penn Sta. Got the Times Sq Shuttle to the eastside, then walked up 2nd to 52nd to the office.

I was the only Long Islander to show up in the office that day!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:43 PM

886 posts, read 2,648,261 times
Senior year in high school and I remember the ice storm. Got a week off and Bay Shore Schools wanted us to make it up but since I was always stoned I remember only Howard Johnson's restaurant in South Shore Mall was open and lines were giant.

Last edited by BigBlue53; 02-08-2013 at 02:19 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 01:43 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
I was working in Manhattan. By early afternoon, the winds and snow were very bad. I left work early and took the subway home to Queens. No problem, BUT when I got out of the subway on Queens Blvd., I still had to get home a mile and a half away. The Queens buses weren't running. Very few cars were able to make in on the roads.

Rather than stand there freezing for who knows how long, I decided to walk home about a mile and a half. The way the snow was blowing sidewalks were impassable by 5 PM. Woodhaven Blvd. at least had been plowed earlier and packed down with some traffic. I walked on the street the mile and and a half, snow, winds, and all. Better MOVING than standing still. People were walking on the street together laughing and joking about this. Fortuantely, I had brought my boot to work since the snow on the street was almost up to my knees.

When I got to my house, after about an hour, I could not get in my front door because of the snow drift halfway up my door. I went to my neighbors house, and the man (National Guard member), shoveled out my stairs and front door so I could get inside.

Difference with this storm? It hasn't been steady snow all day accumulating so much by rush hour. While it CAN overnight, most people will be home from work and in their houses with Saturday off from work.

Sounds to me that New England is getting hit harder and far more mirroring what happened in 78.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
I remember that storm. That was a bad winter, we already had a lot of snow on the ground when that one came, and the north shore had had an ice storm a couple weeks earlier.

My sister graduated from HS that year and we had so many snow days they wanted to have her graduation on the 4th of July!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island