Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:29 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,996,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Isn't a nanny and an Au Pair the same thing?

I thought that Au Pairs were hot Swedish chicks while nannys were annoying J.A.Ps from Long Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 AM

22,654 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Also remember that if your kids are with a bunch of other kids in day care, they are going to get sick all the time. Pink eye, colds, stomach virus, ad infinitum.

People have told me this will pay off in elementary school because they will have a stronger immunity than other kids in their class, but let's see if that holds true. I sure hope it does. I haven't taken a sick day because of me myself being sick in 5 years.
Hate to tell you but my kids were never in daycare and one had perfect attendance in kindy and the other missed one day. I think my 3rd missed 3 days. Sorry

Old 09-09-2011, 10:40 AM

Au pairs come from other countries and are usually here for a set period of time. They ALWAYS live with you and are usually young women in their early 20s. You work with an agency that screens them and matches you up. They are only allowed to work a certain number of hours/days per week, you pay them a nominal amount and provide room and board.

Nannies have a much looser definition - usually someone who comes to your house to watch your children....and where I used to live - congregate at the park with other "nannies" while their charges eat sand and poop, perform death defying stunts on the playground equipment and occasionally get left behind when the "nannies" leave the park. Watching these people made me realize I was either going to be a SAHM or send my kids to daycare.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM

654 posts, read 2,116,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
Thanks for that info. I have one currently in daycare and it's about 1300 per month available from 7a-6p. I asked them about having a second child enrolled in it, and basically it comes out to about 2400 per month for a toddler and an infant even after the sibling discount. I just don't understand why anyone would go to daycare when a nanny would probably be cheaper at that rate? Am I missing something?
I would not leave my child with a nanny. I would rather do daycare. The child is exposed to interacting with other children. They become familar with following a classroom routine at an earlier age which prepares them for Prek/ kindergarten.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:22 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,996,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Hate to tell you but my kids were never in daycare and one had perfect attendance in kindy and the other missed one day. I think my 3rd missed 3 days. Sorry

Don't knock yourself over patting yourself on the back or anything.

I stated the point as an anecdote and made no claims to it's accuracy.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Don't knock yourself over patting yourself on the back or anything.

??? Where did I pat myself on the back??? It really had nothing to do with me....just the way they are made, and I'm not a germophobe so I don't make them wash their hands every 5 minutes, which probably helps more than anything!

I know why you posted it. Just didn't want you to get your hopes up...it's one of those "feel good" things people like to tell you.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:42 PM

302 posts, read 589,464 times
are the prices pretty much set? Has anyone tried negotiating for something less? How do you find out about in house ones?

Old 09-09-2011, 09:03 PM

20,894 posts, read 28,287,318 times
Go to care.com if you want daycares or nannies.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:29 AM

257 posts, read 749,619 times
If you have two or more children, the monthly price will be less with a nanny/sitter. That being said most nannies are working off the books, so you can't write off the cost in your taxes, or use money from a flex spending plan (if your employer offers one). Something to consider.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:22 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,025,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
au pairs come from other countries and are usually here for a set period of time. They always live with you and are usually young women in their early 20s. You work with an agency that screens them and matches you up. They are only allowed to work a certain number of hours/days per week, you pay them a nominal amount and provide room and board.

Nannies have a much looser definition - usually someone who comes to your house to watch your children....and where i used to live - congregate at the park with other "nannies" while their charges eat sand and poop, perform death defying stunts on the playground equipment and occasionally get left behind when the "nannies" leave the park. Watching these people made me realize i was either going to be a sahm or send my kids to daycare.

+1 lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island