Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 12:20 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know a good place to donate used toys/books/shoes/clothing for young children (age 1-4) in either Eastern Nassau OR Eastern Suffolk?
Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 12:30 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Many places will no longer accept used toys stemming from the lead issues with toys made in China. You might want to call ahead before bringing them anywhere.

I donate used clothing, shoes, books to Goodwill in Centereach on Middle Country Rd. There is also a donation center/store on East Main St in Patchogue.

You can also try checking with a local church or temple. There are several churches around here which are part of a soup kitchen network. I usually bring items to donate to the church prior to soup kitchen day. I have brought toys to there and they were accepted.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
St.vincent De Paul, salvation army.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:50 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,386 times
we always donate that kind of stuff to big brothers / big sisters or the vets... both will come to your house, pick them up and leave a donation reciept for your taxes (and it's always blank, they let you determine the value of everything you donated or want the irs think you donated)

Old 09-14-2011, 06:57 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
craigslist with the word FREE gets a ton of responses, no joke. You can even just leave it outside somewhere for them.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Default Freecycle.com

All of the previous suggestions are better than the one I'm about to make. I'm making it because the giving goes both ways and it's a fairly good alternative for those things not taken by donation centers: freecycle.com

Old 09-14-2011, 07:16 AM

I used to use freecycle rather heavily until I started getting a lot of no shows. One has to wonder who these no shows are -- you're giving a complete stranger your address.

I had one freecycle where a man and his young son showed up to pick up a large item. Despite my asking them to remove the item going in one direction, they ignored me and did as they pleased, breaking a large window unit (stored, not installed) in the process. The man suffered a minor cut. If he had been more seriously injured, what woukd have happened?

Friends have had personal items taken from their porches and doorsteps. I had one freecycler take an item clearly labeled for someone else, and when I asked her to please return it, she denied it. My area is very quiet and in all my years here, nothingbwasbtaken from my porch until that day.

The last times I offered anything I asked for a phone number and a set day and time when a person could pick up.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I used to use freecycle rather heavily until I started getting a lot of no shows. One has to wonder who these no shows are -- you're giving a complete stranger your address.

I had one freecycle where a man and his young son showed up to pick up a large item. Despite my asking them to remove the item going in one direction, they ignored me and did as they pleased, breaking a large window unit (stored, not installed) in the process. The man suffered a minor cut. If he had been more seriously injured, what woukd have happened?

Friends have had personal items taken from their porches and doorsteps. I had one freecycler take an item clearly labeled for someone else, and when I asked her to please return it, she denied it. My area is very quiet and in all my years here, nothingbwasbtaken from my porch until that day.

The last times I offered anything I asked for a phone number and a set day and time when a person could pick up.
imo, any freecycle / craigslist exchanges should take place in a public spot (unless you're the casual encounters section)

Old 09-14-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
imo, any freecycle / craigslist exchanges should take place in a public spot (unless you're the casual encounters section)
Sometimes items are too large. (backyard toys, cribs, etc.). Also, the no show issue -- I've sat waiting only to be stood up. Freecycle isn't worth my time. Besides, Goodwill gives me tax receipts as do other charitable companies which pick up large things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island