Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 12,413 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I found the perfect home in Malverne and of course we hear the school district is not so great. I don't understand why. Could a Malverne resident enlighten me? It seems the negativity comes from outside residents. I've read some threads but no one is actually saying what makes the schools so horrible. Are there gangs and drugs?
Please advise. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Malverne school board to ask for $14.1 mil - Malverne - LIHerald.com - Nassau County's source for local news, breaking news, sports, entertainment & shopping

Malverne School District Voters Approve Both Bond Propositions - Malverne-West Hempstead, NY Patch

http://www.malverne.k12.ny.us/18021091122048297/lib/18021091122048297/Malverne_Fall.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-14-2011, 11:41 AM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I lived in Malverne growing up and there is district 12 and 13 in the town. I went to the Valley Stream Schools back in the lates 70's to late 80's. Where in Malverne is this house??? Academicaly I heard the school was ok but it's very diverse because you have kids form the lakeview area who attend the school. You might want to go to the schools yourself and ask. The only thing about Malverne I can say is it is a quaint little town with very high taxes. My mom pays around $12,000.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 12,413 times
The school district is 12. And yes- the taxes are high as we've come to find out. We just fell in love with this house and the area is so quaint. I'm torn... do we buy the house we love with an okay SD or buy an okay house with a great school district...
Thank you for your advice as well as the previous responder who sent me great articles. Much appreciated.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:11 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default A map of the Malverne Union Free School District

Pazawrotny, in case you were not familiar with the geography of the Malverne Union Free School District ...

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Malverne Union Free School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of West Hempstead, the Hamlet of Lakeview, the Village of Rockville Centre, the Village of Lynbrook, the Hamlet of North Lynbrook and the Village of Malverne.

A map of the Malverne Union Free School District:

Old 09-19-2011, 12:11 PM

225 posts, read 715,809 times
Pazawrotny--my advice to you is to go stand outside the middle/high school at 3pm and see for yourself. Just an FYI- the majority of families who live in Malverne end up sending their kids to parochial school, yes, on top of paying sky high taxes. It's a shame because Malverne is a very nice area, but the schools are a disaster.

My fiancee taught in the middle & high school before they did some cutbacks about two years back...teaching in that school is just as bad as teaching in a NYC school... I can't even begin to tell you the stories he came home with every day about what was going on in his classes.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:14 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Yes but if you live in the part of Malverne like I did then It's Valley Stream schools.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:10 PM

213 posts, read 703,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazawrotny View Post
The school district is 12. And yes- the taxes are high as we've come to find out. We just fell in love with this house and the area is so quaint. I'm torn... do we buy the house we love with an okay SD or buy an okay house with a great school district...
Thank you for your advice as well as the previous responder who sent me great articles. Much appreciated.

Whether or not the Malverne Public SD is a good fit for you is dependant upon what you need from a school. The academics k-8 are solid. The HS needs work and with the right leadership it will get there-though not under this administration. The "diversity" is now real. There is a healthy mix of hispanic, white and black. I believe Malverne is one of 3-4 truly diverse districts islandwide. The community of Malverne is small enough where you can develop great relationships with civic groups if you want to or just be neighborly. There are so many kids and there has been a turnover of families over the last 10 years bringing in families that embrace diversity in their schools and actually seek it. Both my children are in the Malverne schools and they are thriving socially and academically. I am too far from HS to focus but I'm optomistic that with a new leadership team they can focus their efforts there.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 PM

213 posts, read 703,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
Pazawrotny--my advice to you is to go stand outside the middle/high school at 3pm and see for yourself. Just an FYI- the majority of families who live in Malverne end up sending their kids to parochial school, yes, on top of paying sky high taxes. It's a shame because Malverne is a very nice area, but the schools are a disaster.

My fiancee taught in the middle & high school before they did some cutbacks about two years back...teaching in that school is just as bad as teaching in a NYC school... I can't even begin to tell you the stories he came home with every day about what was going on in his classes.
Please do begin. And while your at it maybe you can describe in your own words what the OP might discover outside the middle/high school. My child is a student in the middle school so please explain as best you can.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy123 View Post
There is a healthy mix of hispanic, white and black.
What exactly does this mean - a "healthy" mix? Don't Asians count? Or would Asians throw this "healthy" mix you got going on off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island