Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 03:49 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times

Advertisements

I am someone who grew up on Strongs Neck in the mid fifties & early sixties. There were deer in our backyards and we could see porpoises jumping in the Long Island Sound. Each kid had his own acre of land to build a "fort" and we kids would play outside all day (no adults needed to supervise or organize) . I guess that is what I miss most ; the beautiful acres and acres of forests, farms and fields that are no longer. What do you miss most about the "old" Long Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 04:46 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I am someone who grew up on Strongs Neck in the mid fifties & early sixties. There were deer in our backyards and we could see porpoises jumping in the Long Island Sound. Each kid had his own acre of land to build a "fort" and we kids would play outside all day (no adults needed to supervise or organize) . I guess that is what I miss most ; the beautiful acres and acres of forests, farms and fields that are no longer. What do you miss most about the "old" Long Island?
And I drank at The Checkmate
(AKA The New Moon)

: )

I miss open vistas, being able to ride a dirtbike anywhere and courtesy.

C

Old 08-18-2007, 05:39 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
LI resident 1962-1988. Currently a frequent visitor.

I miss as a kid being able to ride my bike where ever I wanted to as long as I was home in time for supper.

I miss the empty lots, woods, farms, buying Aurora race cars at Mike's Hobby Shop, the drug store on Little East Neck Rd. that still made Cokes with syrup, scavenging in the Babylon dump for almost anything a kid could need, ice skating on Belmont Lake, clam boats, tricking out our Stingrays with sissy bars and extended front forks (amazing what a kid can do without 24 hour TV and video games).

Old 08-21-2007, 11:00 PM

15 posts, read 63,828 times
Grew up in East Islip. I miss all the open fields and the old houses that were torn down to subdivide or put up parking lots. Woods and fields of wildflowers and a little lake we iceskated on (now all built up with ugly housing units).

We kids could go out and play all day long in the neighborhood, riding our bikes, and coming home in time for supper. (no 'play dates' or supervised visits like today).

Before the mall and strip malls, Bayshore was "downtown" where everyone went to shop. In East Islip we had Bernsteins Dept store on Main Street where everyone went to buy school uniforms, and Karps in Islip Terrace where you could get Egg Creams and old fashioned ice cream sodas.

I miss the open space and open roads, before all the traffic.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:17 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Long Island of yesteryear became Wrong Island of today. Time to leave.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:49 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Oceanside 1949-1969. Loved the freedom of riding my bike anywhere.

Went to Nunley's Amusement Park for the carousel and miniature golf.

Learned all about love at the Sunrise Drive In Theater near green Acres.

Long Beach was great. Jump off the boardwalk to save the admission fee.

It was a great place for kids.

We now live in Raleigh, NC (18 years).

Old 08-24-2007, 07:40 PM

54 posts, read 225,181 times
Nunley's---remeber. The rides are dispersed all over. I just notices the little feris wheel is on display at a lobster eatery in Island Park.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:37 PM

75 posts, read 294,116 times
I miss living there.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Porpoises? LOL,, you must have seen them once on a freak accident! LI waters are too cold for porpoises/dolphins!!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:50 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,063 times
From what I hear there was some pretty good LSD coming out of SUNY Stony Brook in the 60s : )

Ive heard of seal but never dolphin.
C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island