Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM

26 posts, read 41,135 times

Advertisements

Crooks...not finding anything on Legacy Village. What am I doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendy View Post
Thanks guys I will look at those spots as well. He did look at Miller Place and thought is seemed very rundown like maybe things are going badly there? Thoughts? Have not really explored south shore at all. I did like a few things in Rocky Point but couldn't get a feel for the area. I knew how far out Yaphank was. He is willing to go farther for a newer house for less. Don't know about the super rural part though. Maybe I will have hubby drive out there and see how he feels. In the meantime I'll check these places out.
Depending on the time of day your husband will be commuting, Rocky Point will be more than an hour. I used to do Rocky Point to Syosset. I left after rush hour a few mornings a week so that wasn't bad, but a few evenings a week I came home in rush hour. That was a nightmare.

Yaphank will be a little bit faster to Plainview than Rocky Point as Yaphank is much closer to the expressway.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:34 PM

OkayDorothy,
Thanks for the info...do you know anything about Longwood school district? Do you have kids?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:36 PM

That's what we thought when thinking about Yaphank is that is was closer to Plainview. He normally leaves house about 5:30-6 am so I don't know if rush hour is a huge thing. What time would you say rush hour is?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
That's what we thought when thinking about Yaphank is that is was closer to Plainview. He normally leaves house about 5:30-6 am so I don't know if rush hour is a huge thing. What time would you say rush hour is?
At that time in the morning coming from out east, he is going to start seeing things getting heavy as teachers and such are on the road. I wouldn't want to leave much later. I a few exits further west and when my guys work in the Syosset area, they are on the road by 6 AM to be ready to start by 7 AM.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:41 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Besides being super rural are there any negatives to Yaphank area that I should be aware of?
I think it's Longwood Schools which are below average for Suffolk County, not in the same class as Smithtown and not as good Sachem.

I think Kings Park is a sleeper area that many people don't know about that has some affordable livable places....

.....but again, if you're the type of person who sees pressboard 1980's style cabinets and think that you can't live in a house because of that, you might not be happy. Reminds me of all the HGTV shows where people go into older houses and assume they have to drop $5,000 worth of granite countertops in order to fathom living in a place. This kind of stuff is complete BS. If you can afford it it's nice, but it's not like you can't prepare dinner on a countertop that isn't granite, right?

Old 09-14-2011, 02:11 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
It doesent sound like you were in Miller Place proper.
(IMO it's nicer than Smithtown.)

Sound Beach ..maybe some parts.

If you're going out as far as Yaphank you may as well be in MP/RP/SWR and get the better schools.

Good Luck.

Google Levy* Lunacy Village.
Big doins. Not good

Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
At that time in the morning coming from out east, he is going to start seeing things getting heavy as teachers and such are on the road. I wouldn't want to leave much later. I a few exits further west and when my guys work in the Syosset area, they are on the road by 6 AM to be ready to start by 7 AM.
Good to know thanks.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
It doesent sound like you were in Miller Place proper.
IMO it's nicer than Smithtown.

Sound Beach ..maybe some parts.

If you're going out as far as Yaphank you may as well be in MP/RP/SWR and get the better schools.

Good Luck.

Google Levy* Lunacy Village.
Big doins. Not good
Okay I will tell him to do some more driving around. Everything is a bit confusing up there when your not used to such a big place with so many cities, towns, hamlets, villages, etc.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Okay I will tell him to do some more driving around. Everything is a bit confusing up there when your not used to such a big place with so many cities, towns, hamlets, villages, etc.
Saw the Lunacy Village...good to know. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island