Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 01:43 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Everything is illegal or requires a permit (with fees) in NY. The no-fun state.

Not only that, NY wants to make sure that you know you can defend yourself but please don't hurt the person attacking you. We wouldn't want attackers to get hurt and never be able to attack again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 03:35 PM

323 posts, read 199,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Amazon won't even ship them to NYS addresses.
I bought several cans for my teenage daughters and I on Walmart.com by their third party sellers last summer and there was no problems had by me to get it delivered to my Long Island address. One of them that I got was even shaped like a hand gun (looks real), has replaceable gas canisters and uses ultraviolet dyes that could stain a would be attacker so the police could identify them if they got away. The ones I bought were so strong that law enforcement even uses this brand and it can take grizzly bears down. Don't know if the rules changed since last summer though. Glad I got mine when I did. I don't care if that is breaking the law. I would rather my girls and I be protected than be sitting ducks for thugs like MS-13, murderers and rapists.

Last edited by dk1111; 07-03-2019 at 03:58 PM..

Old 07-03-2019, 03:55 PM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
pepper spray can be hit and miss as to its effect and it may not help when deadly force is used .

this video turned out horrible for an officer .
if you go through any of the combat training courses at lethal force institute you are actually required to be sprayed and you are required to get off 5 shots to show how it can be done ...

it can be very easy to get a false sense of security with pepper spray. never bring pepper spray to a knife or gun fight ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Ly2Quy4Ms

Old 07-03-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
pepper spray can be hit and miss as to its effect and it may not help when deadly force is used .

if you go through any of the combat training courses at lethal force institute you are actually required to be sprayed and you are required to get off 5 shots to show how it can be done ...

it can be very easy to get a false sense of security with pepper spray. never bring pepper spray to a knife or gun fight ...

The ones I got came with targets, a video on how to use it and a bunch of disposable practice canisters. We all practiced for a few hours, and I feel confident in all of our abilities to use it effectively for protection if needed. It is better than being without anything at all. We all know how hard it is to get a pistol permit in NY State.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:31 PM

That is not true at all about permits ...New York city is very easy to get a premise permit ...carry permits are rare ... but if someone wanted to risk being charged ,you can just carry anyway with the premise permit and worry about it if you have to .

as they say better to be judged by 12 then carried by six .I am not advocating carrying with a premise permit as you are in violation of the law ,but there is nothing stopping you ...

Many areas outside of nyc issue carry permits all the time

Old 07-03-2019, 04:49 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Quote:

That was not a typical situation with the use of pepper spray. As said in the video and in the comments the officer and the suspect had a long personal history and the cop was said to be unhinged (per a comment). The suspect wasn't subdued by the pepper spray but he had a personal motive to kill the cop which you wouldn't have with a street mugger. So if a mafia guy was after you then pepper spray is probably not a good idea. If a guy wants your wallet it's better than nothing. Not recommended if he pulls a knife or gun of course.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:53 PM

Good luck even noticing which way the wind is blowing in a dire situation....just hope it isn’t you that ends up in the mist ...I would think you have been a new Yorker long enough to know you don’t know what a bad guys intentions are when you are confronted.

Personally if I felt I needed protection off premise it would not be pepper spray....

Old 07-03-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Good luck even noticing which way the wind is blowing in a dire situation....just hope it isn’t you that ends up in the mist ...I would think you have been a new Yorker long enough to know you don’t know what a bad guys intentions are when you are confronted.

Personally if I felt I needed protection off premise it would not be pepper spray....
I would much prefer carrying a gun, but there are way too many hoops to jump through to get one legally. NYS laws are ridiculous. A relative of mine who is a Long Island resident, retired from the NYPD. It took him over a year and a half of paperwork to get his service pistol and gun permit renewed and it made him over $500 poorer in the process. For now the only thing I can have is a poor woman's protection of pepper spray. I'll take my chances with the wind until I move out of this god forsaken communist state with my family and be able to get a carry permit easily. I can't wait to one day see Schumer's hook nose in my rear view mirror, lol.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:46 AM

residence permits in nyc are running 6-9 months and there are no hoops ... it is just paper work and the cost ..as long as your record is clean you will get it ...if you get caught carrying with a premise license the charges are much less severe ..but if you have an incident and shoot someone with our without a carry permit , the fact you had a premise permit will be the least of your worries.

why would it cost that person 500 dollars ? that makes no sense as a renewal in nyc is 375 for 3 years

Old 07-04-2019, 02:15 AM

20,045 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Gun permits are unconstitutional.
How this crap slips through the courts is dumb.
I'm not a gun nut by any means, but as a legal U.S. citizen I have the right to bare arms.
All of this permit nonsense is just that, nonsense. It's political pandering and control.
A permit is not stopping some skell or nutbar from obtaining a gun. Permits punish law abiding citizens but what else is new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: