Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 02:34 PM

117 posts, read 281,299 times

Advertisements

I've been looking to move to LI and I am tackling one neighborhood at a time. Can anyone provide me info on Dix Hills? Is it good/safe/transportation/lirr/etc?

The more info the better.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Dix Hills in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiny View Post
Can anyone provide me info on Dix Hills?
In case you were unfamiliar with the geography of Dix Hills ...

A map of the Hamlet of Dix Hills in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Dix Hills has a different border than does the "Dix Hills, NY 11746" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Dix Hills and a place can have other than a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Dix Hills): places that have a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Dix Hills are in the Hamlet of Huntington Station, the Hamlet of Elwood, the Hamlet of Commack, and the Hamlet of Melville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Dix Hills that have a "Wyandanch, NY 11798", "Brentwood, NY 11717", "Huntington, NY 11743" and "Melville, NY 11747" mailing address.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:42 PM

Default A map of the Half Hollow Hills Central School District

Most of Dix Hills is in the Half Hollow Hills Central School District ...

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Half Hollow Hills Central School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Dix Hills, the Hamlet of Deer Park, the Hamlet of Wheatley Heights, the Hamlet of Wyandanch, the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, the Hamlet of Melville, the Hamlet of West Hills and the Hamlet of South Huntington.

A map of the Half Hollow Hills Central School District:

Old 09-15-2011, 05:54 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,483 times
Dix Hills is very nice. It has more of a "new money feel" than most other truly affluent towns on the island. Dix Hills is mostly a mix of upper middle class and wealthy people. Most of the homes there tend to have A LOT of land though the lots in the southeastern part of Dix Hills tend to be smaller but still reasonably sized.

I don't hear about any crime here (though there was a bank robbed recently). The School District [Half Hollow Hills] is EXCELLENT and somewhat racially diverse.
One thing you must know is that there is really not that much commercial activity in DH so you will have to drive all the way to another town to do any kind of shopping.

As for the LIRR: Depending on where you live in Dix Hills, you would either be taking the Ronkonkoma branch (in Wyandanch) or the Port Jefferson Branch (in Greenlawn or Huntington Station). Wyandanch and Huntington Station are generally higher crime areas but I never hear of anything happening to commuters or their cars so you really have nothing to worry about, just lock your doors and use common sense when you park your car at the station. Parking at the Wyandanch station is free.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 09-15-2011 at 06:08 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 07:14 AM

How is the Southern, West (west of Deer Park Ave) area of Dix Hills? I see it is close to Wyandanch. Should this area be a flag/concern?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:30 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Quote:
How is the Southern, West (west of Deer Park Ave) area of Dix Hills? I see it is close to Wyandanch. Should this area be a flag/concern?

FYI, on Calumet, they will be building nine high end houses on one acre lots (price around $1.2 mill) and the first one is already framed. It's in the area you described, off Burrs Lane... (No, I'm not the listing agent )

Old 09-16-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
FYI, on Calumet, they will be building nine high end houses on one acre lots (price around $1.2 mill) and the first one is already framed. It's in the area you described, off Burrs Lane... (No, I'm not the listing agent )
Yes the house I am looking at is just south of Calumet and close to Burrs Lane. Are there any concerns for that part? I'll do a driveby this weekend but any details would be appreciated.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Default A map of the Hamlet of Wheatley Heights in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County

Quote:
Yes the house I am looking at is just south of Calumet and close to Burrs Lane. Are there any concerns for that part? I'll do a driveby this weekend but any details would be appreciated.
That borders Wheatley Heights.

A map of the Hamlet of Wheatley Heights in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/Wheatley-heights-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Wheatley Heights is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the community name in their mailing address: places in Wheatley Heights have a "Wyandanch, NY 11798" mailing address.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:28 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,483 times
Quote:
That area is good: very quiet area.

And no part of Dix Hills is close to Wyandanch at all. Wheatley Heights acts as a buffer in between Dix Hills and Wyandanch and Wheatley Heights itself is a fairly nice community so don't even worry about Wyandanch if you're moving to Dix Hills.

On another note: one thing you should know is that on Straight Path, there's always gotta be ONE RETARD driving 15 mph causing traffic mayhem/backups on the whole lane. ALWAYS.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Quote:
LOL that wouldn't be my listing by any chance??? Middlesex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island