Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:52 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times

Advertisements

oh great, yet another Pros & Cons of Massapequa thread. YEEEAAAHHHH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:59 AM

398 posts, read 837,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Coming from Massapequa I will admit that there are some nice amenities, but the congestion, the egos, and the fact that it buffers some of the not-so-nice parts of Amityville -- it's not the #1 town on the south shore of LI. I would tweak it to 'one of the best towns on the south shore of Nassau.'

Perhaps perps from Brooklyn should focus their sights further east of Bellmore.
Lived in the town for many many years and never once had to unwillingly come in contact with Amityville. We willingly robe bikes there as teenages to stores that would sell to underage teens.

If you're refering to vehicle congessted i disagree. It is nothing in comparision to the congestion by Merrick road and route 110 in Amityville and through Babylon Village on Montauk highway.

As someone that traveled all over the town and use to commute to Queens, the only congesstion I encounter was South State almost coming to a dead stop where it meets the Wantaugh parkway.

If you're refering to homes, I think Massapequa actually has bigger lot sizes than some of the surrounding areas of Massapequa. Suffolk south shore has larger lots but not familiar with every town to know if one rivals Massapequa. Some say babylon but having lived there as well, the Village traffic is brutal and the area does not provide the same amenities or have the same vibe as Massapequa.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:02 AM

398 posts, read 837,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
oh great, yet another Pros & Cons of Massapequa thread. YEEEAAAHHHH!
I haven't been around long enough or paid attention to realize this was a played out topic.

I simply listed some stuff when Crooks bashed it and posted a sarcastic comment.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:27 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Is it because its becoming all too familiar?
Maybe it's on the NYC board...since the 4 thugs were all from Brooklyn. Terrorizing Valley Stream got old for the trash in Brooklyn so they decided to head further east? Nah, seriously though, this does seem very targeted to the family in North Bellmore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Coming from Massapequa I will admit that there are some nice amenities, but the congestion, the egos, and the fact that it buffers some of the not-so-nice parts of Amityville -- it's not the #1 town on the south shore of LI. I would tweak it to 'one of the best towns on the south shore of Nassau.'

Perhaps perps from Brooklyn should focus their sights further east of Bellmore.
Massapequa or Plainedge (North Mass)?

I'd agree with nyliguy, Massapequa proper is the most well-rounded town on the south shore LI, possibly the best. It's actually less congested here than most parts of LI, even less than deep Suffolk. And what's with the "borders not-so-nice ares of Amityville" lol. OBH, you seem smarter than that. That's like saying RVC buffers some "not so nice sections of Baldwin and Hempstead" ... we're worlds apart and it's not an issue for anyone that lives here. Unless you live in East Massapequa/Amityville School district right on the Nass/Suffolk border, then you may have some issues.. Unlikely though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
#1 town in the south shore of long island, hands down and people at the bottom will always hate.

Can't think of one town on the south shore that rivals it, with the abundance of resturants, fooderies, village, large perserve/bike trail, parks, beach clubs, golf course, LIRR and a large population with lots of business keeping the taxes lower than neighboring towns.
Someone that's lived in 2 of the best towns on the South Shore agrees. Babylons nice, but it ain't Massapequa.

Last edited by Pequaman; 09-21-2011 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-21-2011, 11:35 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Okay, now it's time to hear about Rocky Point ...

Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Then Nassau politicians would have to admit that crime specifically violent crime is through the roof.
Crime is at an all time record low here. What are you smoking? Show me a source that proves otherwise.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:55 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Is it because its becoming all too familiar?

Perhaps JIW overslept...

Old 09-21-2011, 12:07 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Lived in the town for many many years and never once had to unwillingly come in contact with Amityville. We willingly robe bikes there as teenages to stores that would sell to underage teens.

If you're refering to vehicle congessted i disagree. It is nothing in comparision to the congestion by Merrick road and route 110 in Amityville and through Babylon Village on Montauk highway.

As someone that traveled all over the town and use to commute to Queens, the only congesstion I encounter was South State almost coming to a dead stop where it meets the Wantaugh parkway.

If you're refering to homes, I think Massapequa actually has bigger lot sizes than some of the surrounding areas of Massapequa. Suffolk south shore has larger lots but not familiar with every town to know if one rivals Massapequa. Some say babylon but having lived there as well, the Village traffic is brutal and the area does not provide the same amenities or have the same vibe as Massapequa.
Massapequa might have it going on for Nassau but it's reign ends at the county line. I'm not disputing what you're saying -- merely bringing to light that there are some fabulous south shore towns which are far less congested, have spacious properties, easy beach access -- not just the bay. Massapequa involved a ride west to hit the Wantagh to head to the beach. If you wanted to go to ToBay, tack on a few more miles.

Sunrise Hwy, Merrick Rd arent congested? My current driving in and out of Matzohpizza is imited to mostly the weekend and early evenings. Both roads are to be avoided during those times. They were bad when I was a kid -- and haven't improved with time.

Bigger 'lot' sizes. That's the key word. Many development type homes, many developments, many cookie cutter sized lots. There are nice areas within Massapequa, but you opted to use Massapequa in her entirety as opposed to breaking out, say, south of Merrick where my childhood friend moved (down the block from the infamous boss, Carlo Gambino.)

IMHO Babylon Village is lovely, more charm, but the same holds true with traffic -- no argument there.

If I had to say best south shore town on LI I would be looking towards the south fork. South shore Nassau and western south shore Suffolk are too built up for my taste. I'm much more a country mouse at heart and Massapequa doesn't fit that bill. For people who like suburban with reasonable close proximity to urban -- Massapequa is a fine choice.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

Massapequa or Plainedge (North Mass)?

I'd agree with nyliguy, Massapequa proper is the most well-rounded town on the south shore LI, possibly the best. It's actually less congested here than most parts of LI, even less than deep Suffolk. And what's with the "borders not-so-nice ares of Amityville" lol. OBH, you seem smarter than that. That's like saying RVC buffers some "not so nice sections of Baldwin and Hempstead" ... we're worlds apart and it's not an issue for anyone that lives here. Unless you live in East Massapequa/Amityville School district right on the Nass/Suffolk border, then you may have some issues.. Unlikely though.

Hamlet of North Massapequa, which is south of the Hamlet of Plainedge.
Don't make me go Walter on you Some homes in the Hamlet of North Massapequa are zoned for Plainedge UFSD -- which encompasses portions of several hamlets.

Personally, I couldn't wait to leave the Massapequas as everything feels like it is closing in on me there. Too many houses, too many stores, too many people -- it's just not my preference. If it were I would be living there now. I do have a fondness for Massapequa Park and the area by Three Streams, but that's about it.

Rating a number one south shore town in Nassau -- I give Massapequa the nod, which I did initially. Rating a number on south shore town on LI -- I am going to lean towards the south fork.

Picking a number one is subjective. If we put up a poll for best pizza on Long Island -- we're going to have a number of responses. Some like the the taste of a drippy pie, others find it too oily. It's that way with this silly tangent.

Good Grief! Imagine if I had wrote I hated Massapequa? LOL

Hopefully the criminals which are working their way east out of Brooklyn don't take a shine to Massapequa, too.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:45 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
I haven't been around long enough or paid attention to realize this was a played out topic.

I simply listed some stuff when Crooks bashed it and posted a sarcastic comment.
"A Tree Grows in Pequa"

Actually I was only zinging Jets a bit for his knee-jerk "no" (and the NCPD for its humble wages).

As for trouble on Da Riv, I thought I was defending her Mayberry shores.
I actually think S Nassau is pretty damn safe all things considered and a decent middle class place to live.

As for the dude who thinks Pequa is nicer than the Hamptons.
please go back to Brooklyn.

Random negative Rocky Point comment.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island