Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:36 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There are two big issues ...
There is a third issue: leveling up.

When combining two or more districts that have differing contracts with their respective unions, the unions adamantly argue for a leveling up to the highest wages and pensions paid in any of the districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 09:40 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
but...but... but "LI schools!". I think it's foolish to think that Suffolk will take a disproportionate hit on state aid in the long run.

It's amazing how much Nassau and Suffolk residents have turned on each other in petty bickering on these boards compared to years ago. Now more then ever it seems that there's the "you're worse, so we're better" attitude on both sides for different reasons. Very noticeable.
You are taking some comments on here way too seriously. Mediocre meaning compared to LI as a whole (to Nassau). LI schools in general are better (if we're comparing to the rest of the country) - no doubt about that. The rest could be people cracking jokes... in a semi-serious fashion.

Also want to add on the State Aid: Suffolk receives a lot more state aid so they will have more to lose when NY cuts aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Hard to find stats on this... a quick google gave me this:So NY in general spends the most per pupil, but NYC spends less than average.

What is hard to understand about consolidation? I'm not talking about shuttering school buildings, I'm talking about removing layers of administration. Syosset doesn't need a superintendent making $300k+ per year, with her own staff, benefits, etc., when the Jericho superintendent can oversee both districts. We don't need fleets of maintenance vehicles duplicated from one town to the next. Etc.
LI districts are apples & oranges for the most part (especially tax base wise). It will not work to achieve any significant savings, as 'too many districts' is not the real reason taxes are high. I agree you with you on the $350k+ per yr (she's making half a million after benefits ), but Syosset residents might say "she's worth every penny" and call you rude for getting involved in their business.

Here's some spending-per-pupil data for NY:
Spending per pupil in NY state districts | rocdocs.democratandchronicle.com

Last edited by Pequaman; 09-25-2011 at 09:51 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 09:57 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There are two big issues unspoken here about consolidation -- whether it be schools, towns, or counties. There is the perception of home value which is currently tied to a school district's reputation and location. Then there is the underbelly -- race -- will an area be merged with one which has mostly poor minorities? Nassau and Suffolk people are equally guilty with respect to both.

I've got a host of things going on today, but I would love to find a study as to the cost vs. benefit of Nassau and Suffolk becoming a 51st state. Not that I want that to happen, but I would like to see figures.
Agree. Wading River / Riverhead is a living example. Flat broke with buildings crumbling around them and people will go into an uproar being rezoned into a "poor" district. lol

Long Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
As of the 2010 census, Long Island had a population of 7,568,304,[2] making it the most populated island in any U.S. state or territory. It is also the 17th most populous island in the world, ahead of Ireland, Jamaica and the Japanese island of Hokkaidō. Its population density is 5,402 inhabitants per square mile (2,086 /km2). If it were a state, Long Island would rank 13th in population (after Virginia) and first in population density.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
You are taking some comments on here way too seriously. Mediocre meaning compared to LI as a whole (to Nassau). LI schools in general are better (if we're comparing to the rest of the country) - no doubt about that. The rest could be people cracking jokes... in a semi-serious fashion.

Also want to add on the State Aid: Suffolk receives a lot more state aid so they will have more to lose when NY cuts aid.
Maybe you're taking my post too seriously. However, as for "better" and "no doubt about that" - I wholeheartedly disagree as you're simply stating an opinion. We both know you can't produce anything to back up that claim... and you contradict yourself in some regards with your very next statement about cuts.

To the cuts, my whole point is that the shortfalls are not getting filled. More and more cuts coming. More and more revenue (taxes) needing to be generated. So Suffolk may have "more to lose" in the short term, but what does that mean in the big picture? What will be the cumulative impact of all this over the next 10 years when your 1st grader is in high school? If you're going to compare to the "rest of the country", shouldn't you consider the countless areas in the country where they aren't in an unsustainable funding hole? Where would you place your bets?

Old 09-25-2011, 10:37 AM

418 posts, read 1,070,018 times
Quote:
Interesting to note that in the LI history since the 1700s, the only net loss of population happened in the 1970s - between the 1970 and 1980 census LI lost about 0.5 million people.
Was that related to the energy crisis and NYC commuters giving up on suburbia? If so, I guess gas prices are a very powerful regulator of LI's population...

---------

As for a merger - often democracy interferes with efficiency .

Can't help but mention an NPR story from last week - a Chinese city of 4 million (LA-size like) was "wiped out" overnight with no prior discussions or notifications.
Chaohu was split between 3 neighboring cities for reasons of further boosting their economic success. One of those 3 cities, Hefei, already had a GDP growth rate of 17%! but needed more land to keep on going.
The most intriguing part of the story for me was the fact that the local municipal government seemed to be unaware of this change dictated from above - they were unsure if they will be let go, or be of any further use for the merging cities...
That owed to motivate local leaders to perform well...

Old 09-25-2011, 10:51 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Maybe you're taking my post too seriously. However, as for "better" and "no doubt about that" - I wholeheartedly disagree as you're simply stating an opinion. We both know you can't produce anything to back up that claim... and you contradict yourself in some regards with your very next statement about cuts.

To the cuts, my whole point is that the shortfalls are not getting filled. More and more cuts coming. More and more revenue (taxes) needing to be generated. So Suffolk may have "more to lose" in the short term, but what does that mean in the big picture? What will be the cumulative impact of all this over the next 10 years when your 1st grader is in high school? If you're going to compare to the "rest of the country", shouldn't you consider the countless areas in the country where they aren't in an unsustainable funding hole? Where would you place your bets?
I certainly wouldn't bet against LI. Half the unemployment rate of the South and better paying jobs here. I don't have a crystal ball so I can't say for sure that more cuts are coming or state aid won't be returned to previous levels. As stated though, the schools that are more dependent on state aid will feel it more. No contradictions here.

Okay, it is my opinion, and millions of others, that Long Island schools are better in nearly every aspect. . . do you really wanna turn this into a discussion on the real shortcomings of schools in the south or a bash-carolina-schools fest?? Let's save that for another thread or another board. I'm going to get some superb pizza* and watch me some football... -later.

* = (superb, in my opinion )

Old 09-25-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't bet against LI. Half the unemployment rate of the South and better paying jobs here. I don't have a crystal ball so I can't say for sure that more cuts are coming or state aid won't be returned to previous levels. As stated though, the schools that are more dependent on state aid will feel it more. No contradictions here.

Okay, it is my opinion, and millions of others, that Long Island schools are better in nearly every aspect. . . do you really wanna turn this into a discussion on the real shortcomings of schools in the south or a bash-carolina-schools fest?? Let's save that for another thread or another board. I'm going to get some superb pizza* and watch me some football... -later.

Well I'm about to leave for the Jets game myself - fan club I belong to down here who are all die hard Jets fans meet at the same sports bar to scream like wild banshees every week... Still support my team and still support my family / friends in Suffdump. So no desire to turn this into a whisking (read peepee) match. Like most things, "shortcomings" are in the eye of the beholder if we're truly honest with ourselves... or so I tell myself in the mirror naked each morning.

I'll leave how I entered this thread. Massapequa (or Nassau for that matter) isn't better for how lousy RP (or Suffolk in general) is... It may make us feel better, though. Maybe that's what matters in the end. Who the heck knows for sure.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:53 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Interesting to note that in the LI history since the 1700s, the only net loss of population happened in the 1970s - between the 1970 and 1980 census LI lost about 0.5 million people.
According to LIPA, the bi-county population was 2,555,869 in 1970 and 2,605,813 in 1980, with Nassau declining from 1,428,839 to 1,321,582 and Suffolk increasing from 1,127,030 to 1,284,231, between 1970 and 1980, respectively.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:07 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:

You bring up a very good point, many of the places LIers are fleeing too have unemployment rates often double that of Long Island's. We have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation right now.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:50 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Not that it's ever gonna happen, but Nassau can't handle itself, leave us in suffolk out of that mess.
Exactly what I was thinking, what would Suffolk County have to gain from this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island