Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:16 AM

629 posts, read 1,696,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I have been with State Farm for 30 years and am most happy with the discounts I get. Regardless of which agency you choose ensure you like and understand the agent.
Well - as long as you don't have a claim - your insurance company honeymoon never really ends - right? So, to give us all a better appreciation of your experience - how many times in those 30 years have you filed a significant claim and what was your experience with Allstate paying the claim(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 AM

195 posts, read 309,417 times
Geico is very very efficient..sometimes too efficient..thety can't wait to get rid of your claim because they keep getting more and more regardless of the number of old claims you are still juggling and the stress piles up.....being aformer claims examiner there i have stuck with them because i know how they handle claims. Sometimes they look at the number of years you've been with them and show favortism when making claims decisions...but I'm going to shop around soon. Other insurance companies would love to have me i'm sure and may beat their price.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:00 PM

19,056 posts, read 16,864,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Well - as long as you don't have a claim - your insurance company honeymoon never really ends - right? So, to give us all a better appreciation of your experience - how many times in those 30 years have you filed a significant claim and what was your experience with Allstate paying the claim(s)?
For the homeowners I would say we had 3 claims over the years for our homes. For the cars at least 6 in the last 10 years with 2 teen drivers at the time.

Allstate has always had a history of not liking younger/old drivers. My mom had them; for homeowners she was under insured and had a 1mil floater she didn't need. When I moved her from NY to VA she insisted on Allstate a year later I got her with my SF agent and her premiums went down over $500.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:11 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,990,590 times
The problem with State Farm is that they do not offer accident forgiveness as an option, unlike many other companies, and their surcharges for minor accidents or minor tickets are very large; definitely a punishment that does not fit the "crime".

I was in an accident which should have been at most 50% my fault (they judged it to be 100% my fault based on completely false information), caused no damage to my car, and caused negigiable damage to the other car (but they claimed that the other car was "totalled"). When I tried to fight the surcharge (showing pictures of my car, aerial photos of the intersection, and a copy of the police report), they said there is nothing they can do, other than accept the surcharge or to sue them. So I had to just accept the surcharge (and basically being "blacklisted" for 3 years due to having an at fault accident on my record), even though it would have been cheaper to buy the other driver a new car (not that he needed one) than to pay the surcharge.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:20 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,770,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'd go with Allstate or State Farm if they will take you. I've worked in insurance for years, and I've dealt with people from just about every company. You get what you pay for as far as how well the staff is trained. GEICO has a huge turnover because they are so difficult to work for (every place I've temped there is a handful of former GEICO employees who couldn't wait to get out). A company like GEICO is ok if you have an average run of the mill claim but if you hit a car load of Intel Science Finalists and get sued for everything you own, trust me you do not want a person working in a call center that has timed bathroom breaks handling your claim. You can't even believe the stuff I've had to explain not only to the employees of some of these companies but to the attorneys that they employ for your defense.
Can you clarify that part? What exactly did you have to explain to the attorneys??

I used to have GEICO for auto before I was married and my husband and I switched over to my insurance company's policies - and never had a problem. I got paid relatively quickly and had nothing but excellent customer service. I've also had AIG and 21st Century and no problems with them either.

Can't speak about Allstate and State Farm other than I used to work for law firms that defended these 2 companies in no-fault and BI suits. Allstate is known for being particularly picky in paying out claims- and will rarely settle with plaintiffs unless they are practically forced to at time of trial or in court. State Farm has gotten much reasonable in the last few years but up to a while ago, they also had a "no pay" policy which as one of their attorneys (many moons ago) made them a tough client to deal with.

What other companies are you looking at besides these 3 ? I've worked as an insurance defense attorney for a decade now - so there really isnt any "best" insurance company out there. I had friends who switched from GEICO to Progressive because they got better deals, yet when I called Progressive to switch out of GEICO the prices were higher. You just have to shop around every couple of years.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:14 PM

270 posts, read 961,586 times
Im actually doing exactly that also.....shopping around for new auto insurance. we are both good drivers no claims, accidents or tickets. Yet every 6 months our insurance goes up with Allsate! Very annoying! All they can tell you when you call is oh we just had some rate inscreases.

So far i've gotten cheaper quotes with Travelers, The harford and Geico.

Liberty mutual, state farm, progressive, nationwide and 21st century were all more expensive

Old 03-25-2015, 02:46 PM

9 posts, read 9,927 times
Thumbs up auto insurance

I used Coastal Insurance Solution in Rocky point for my home and car insurance:

http://coastalinsurancesolution.com/auto-insurance/

they offer insurance packages. 631-782-3175.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:50 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,412,643 times
USAA is by far the best car and home insurance. But you or one of your parents have to be a Veteran to apply.

Amerprise is pretty good for Auto.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:32 AM

137 posts, read 193,200 times
Good info...too bad it's a 4 yr old thread. Hopefully the OP has found insurance by now.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:10 PM

6 posts, read 15,921 times
My son had an accident last year.I have Allstate for home and auto.He turned on a green turning arrow.Some clown drove through the red light in the opposite direction.He was struck in the rear fender.Allstate has done nothing.They say the other driver said my son ran the light That,s all BS Now it has been in arbitration for over a month.When I call and ask where is my 1000 deductable.They just say if you win the hearing you get the deductable back.I think I will try somebody new.I just bought a home,so its time to change insurance companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island