Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,750 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to Patchogue and buying a house near the village and wanted a 2015 updated opinion set. I've lived in Plainview, and Huntington Village throughout my life so it is a definite, but welcomed 'class change'. The village is great and I believe the town as a whole is improving well aside from knowing the schools are poor still. I'd just like to hear opinions of other people on here of what they think about making a big decision like buying a house there.

Some people say they'd never, but most I hear from say it's great and really turning around.

Would you move/buy in Patchogue? Why so? Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 07:28 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,551 times
We did back in 2012 and love it.
Things are turning around. I really see it firsthand.
PM me if you have any questions. We live in the village boundaries, North of Main st between N Ocean and 112.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,750 times
Thanks for the reply, Michael. That's awesome, congratulations! That's really close to the house I'm looking at. I'll PM you!

Old 03-25-2015, 09:53 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedmm View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Patchogue and buying a house near the village and wanted a 2015 updated opinion set. I've lived in Plainview, and Huntington Village throughout my life so it is a definite, but welcomed 'class change'. The village is great and I believe the town as a whole is improving well aside from knowing the schools are poor still. I'd just like to hear opinions of other people on here of what they think about making a big decision like buying a house there.

Some people say they'd never, but most I hear from say it's great and really turning around.

Would you move/buy in Patchogue? Why so? Why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
We did back in 2012 and love it.
Things are turning around. I really see it firsthand.
PM me if you have any questions. We live in the village boundaries, North of Main st between N Ocean and 112.

Out of curiosity (having been to Patchogue and vicinity 4 or 5 times in the past and liking what I experienced there by-and-large):

Both of you (Boostedmm and Kayo_Michael) say that the villege is really "turning around". What exactly does this mean or what is it trying to say? "Turning around" from what to what? Is it saying that there are problems or issues in the Village and the vicinity at-large and these "problems" are being "rectified" or "turning around" for the better? If so, what exactly are these "problems" and how exactly are they being "rectified"? Please be specific.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:42 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Out of curiosity (having been to Patchogue and vicinity 4 or 5 times in the past and liking what I experienced there by-and-large):

Both of you (Boostedmm and Kayo_Michael) say that the villege is really "turning around". What exactly does this mean or what is it trying to say? "Turning around" from what to what? Is it saying that there are problems or issues in the Village and the vicinity at-large and these "problems" are being "rectified" or "turning around" for the better? If so, what exactly are these "problems" and how exactly are they being "rectified"? Please be specific.
It's going through regentrification.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:

We mean turning around from bad to good. The village itself is investing hundreds of millions into improvements. Money is being poured in through local, state, and federal grants. It is attracting a lot of businesses, which in turn are attracting residents and improving the area.
New Village Patchogue in 2014 (New Luxury Patchogue Apartments For Rent | New Village At Patchogue) and Art Space in 2011 (Artspace Patchogue Lofts | Artspace) is the biggest and located in the village, and surrounding areas are seeing improvements: The YMCA (2010), Lowe's (2012), Best Yet (2013), Shop Rite (2012), etc... Also too many bars and eateries to list here.

There used to be problems and still some remain, but are being addressed. I wasn't around to see how bad it really was since I only moved there in 2012. The rundown homes are being bought and cleaned up (we did this). It's looking great.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:27 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
We mean turning around from bad to good. The village itself is investing hundreds of millions into improvements. Money is being poured in through local, state, and federal grants. It is attracting a lot of businesses, which in turn are attracting residents and improving the area.
New Village Patchogue in 2014 (New Luxury Patchogue Apartments For Rent | New Village At Patchogue) and Art Space in 2011 (Artspace Patchogue Lofts | Artspace) is the biggest and located in the village, and surrounding areas are seeing improvements: The YMCA (2010), Lowe's (2012), Best Yet (2013), Shop Rite (2012), etc... Also too many bars and eateries to list here.

There used to be problems and still some remain, but are being addressed. I wasn't around to see how bad it really was since I only moved there in 2012. The rundown homes are being bought and cleaned up (we did this). It's looking great.

Thank you for your response.

I wish, like Huntington Village has Huntington Hospital within its village and Bay Shore Village has Southside Hospital within its village (both being Level II Trauma Center hospitals at that), that Brookhaven Memorial Hospital was located within or on the edige of downtown Patchogue rather than at an impractical non-walkable good distance away from the heart of Patchogue.

But then at least Patchogue has the LIRR station within the village limits (as does Bay Shore), while the LIRR serving Huntington is not quite practical to walk to from within the Huntington Village limits (being rather too far south and, if I recall the area topography correctly, you'd have to walk rather uphill on an incline a good distance southbound on New York Avenue . . . and some may feel wary of walking at just any hour to & from within the Huntington Station area, being concerned about becoming a crime victim). I wish the planners of the LIRR way back then had the foresight to have the LIRR come through or perhaps along the very edge of the village rather than at such a distance. That is one pitfall of living in Huntington Village, besides having the expressways at a significant distance from the village.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your response.

I wish, like Huntington Village has Huntington Hospital within its village and Bay Shore Village has Southside Hospital within its village (both being Level II Trauma Center hospitals at that), that Brookhaven Memorial Hospital was located within or on the edige of downtown Patchogue rather than at an impractical non-walkable good distance away from the heart of Patchogue.

But then at least Patchogue has the LIRR station within the village limits (as does Bay Shore), while the LIRR serving Huntington is not quite practical to walk to from within the Huntington Village limits (being rather too far south and, if I recall the area topography correctly, you'd have to walk rather uphill on an incline a good distance southbound on New York Avenue . . . and some may feel wary of walking at just any hour to & from within the Huntington Station area, being concerned about becoming a crime victim). I wish the planners of the LIRR way back then had the foresight to have the LIRR come through or perhaps along the very edge of the village rather than at such a distance. That is one pitfall of living in Huntington Village, besides having the expressways at a significant distance from the village.
The Brookhaven Memorial Hospital has an office here and couldn't be more in the heart of the village. It's literally a 3 minute walk from the Corner of Main & North Ocean. They primarily offer hospice, home care, and Hemodialysis services.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Brookhaven Memorial Hospital

If you need other general services, there are a plethora of medical offices dotted around the village that are walking accessible. Sachem Dental recently opened up a new office in the village, too.

Granted, it's none of these are a full service facility like SBU, but SBU is only a 15-20 minute drive right up Nichols.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:20 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,386 times
I think Patchogue Village itself is nice, and I patronize a number of the businesses there, but I feel like the area is somewhat overpriced for what it is, from a home-buying perspective. You're a solid 45-50 minute drive from the nearest major job center (the 110 corridor), never mind how far you are from the city, there are still enough rough patches to keep the crime rate higher than other similarly-priced areas, and the school district is very poorly rated compared with some other areas with similar (or even lower!) taxes. We looked there briefly when house-hunting last fall, and were really unimpressed - we mostly saw a bunch of cheaply done, overpriced flips. I guess if you have the time, money, and ability to redo a house from scratch you could probably get a good deal on one of the beat-up old Victorians (they are cool houses), but it definitely wasn't the place for the type of home we were looking for (modest but quality starter home that didn't need much work).

Old 03-30-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
I think Patchogue Village itself is nice, and I patronize a number of the businesses there, but I feel like the area is somewhat overpriced for what it is, from a home-buying perspective. You're a solid 45-50 minute drive from the nearest major job center (the 110 corridor), never mind how far you are from the city, there are still enough rough patches to keep the crime rate higher than other similarly-priced areas, and the school district is very poorly rated compared with some other areas with similar (or even lower!) taxes. We looked there briefly when house-hunting last fall, and were really unimpressed - we mostly saw a bunch of cheaply done, overpriced flips. I guess if you have the time, money, and ability to redo a house from scratch you could probably get a good deal on one of the beat-up old Victorians (they are cool houses), but it definitely wasn't the place for the type of home we were looking for (modest but quality starter home that didn't need much work).
The flips are the WORST! $30k worth of work and marked up for $100k profit! problem is, People keep buying it! Nowhere else in the USA where do you see general contractors with decked out trucks on alloy rims and a 22' leisure boat in the driveway.

Curious, where (and what) did you end up buying?

I couldn't find anywhere else around the same price with the same level of convenience and amenities.
We were priced out of other neighborhoods that were walk-able.
Also, I hate how crowded it gets in those more desired locales! I like the pace of Patchogue; the pace of Hoptron on a Saturday afternoon, the pace of coffee at Roast on Sunday morning...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island