Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:27 PM

840 posts, read 2,444,922 times

Advertisements

anyone else noticing this? seeing giant wens all over with spiders that look to be about 1.5 inches. never seen this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 08:14 PM

40 posts, read 102,185 times
yep i have, Fat ones at that. with well spun webs too.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:21 PM

840 posts, read 2,444,922 times
^same. wonder what they are. I assumed garden spiders.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:58 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
Are they like this?

[youtube]bRV4d9LCawU[/youtube]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRV4d9LCawU"]Big Spider Attacks Daddy - YouTube[/URL]

Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
I'm having an issue with very small spiders in the house. It's driving me nuts. They are in corners, and I no sooner vacuum than they're back up and spinning webs.

I cleaned the basement, didn't go down for two days. The phone guy comes in for repairs so I show him to the box in the basement -- there were webs all over! I was very embarrassed.

I guess it's better than big spiders.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 AM

344 posts, read 717,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I'm having an issue with very small spiders in the house. It's driving me nuts. They are in corners, and I no sooner vacuum than they're back up and spinning webs.

I cleaned the basement, didn't go down for two days. The phone guy comes in for repairs so I show him to the box in the basement -- there were webs all over! I was very embarrassed.

I guess it's better than big spiders.
I have the same problem. Good to hear it's not just me; I recently bought a new house and thought my cleaning skills just weren't up to snuff.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,685,833 times
I have Camel Crickets in my basement according to an expert person I asked,they hang on a wall that is painted blue or on the cement floor ??I have been using glue traps to catch them or a fly swatter when I first turn on the lights.
see a video about them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6o7W...eature=related

Last edited by qlty; 09-26-2011 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
I have Camel Crickets in my basement according to an expert person I asked,they hang on a wall that is painted blue or on the cement floor ??I have been using glue traps to catch them or a fly swatter when I first turn on the lights.
see a video about them
the CAMEL CRICKET - YouTube
My mom has them too... and it has nothing to do with the cleanliness of your home because my mom's house is spotless. They like dark and damp basments, she also had them in her garage. Arrow came and killed them. My mom uses glue traps she orderd them online at Amazon.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,160,821 times
I would never use Glue Traps. They are cruel for any living thing. I didn't think Camel Crickets caused any harm though.
As for Spiders - I try never to kill spiders especially the large ones and always rescue them and release them back outdoors. (Spiders are useful as they kill the things you don't want - mosquitos, gnats etc.).
A great website is www.whatsthatbug.com/

Old 09-26-2011, 09:10 AM

137 posts, read 249,298 times
Yes, I've been seeing a lot of spiders lately. Not necessarily jumbo sized, just a lot of them. I'd guess it might be because of the abundance of flies/gnats/mosquitoes they have to feast on. An abundant food supply means less competition, no?

And yeah, the Mule Crickets are moving back indoors and/or to shelter again. The big rush is yet to come. G-d I hate those things! I've read the same things lubby posted, that they like dark/damp places. No doubt they're loving my crawl basement.

AFAIK, in houses/basements they can damage paper, fabrics... a bit like the potential damage a moth can cause. I only have attic storage and it's dry as an old bone, not likely they'd infest it. Still, I've taken to putting everything that goes up there into plastic storage bins/tubs. I need to get a bunch more again for the storage of about a million old CDs. What a chore!

What's interesting is that I've found many abandoned spider webs up there this past two weeks. That's unusual in my attic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island