U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 10:01 PM

7 posts, read 43,626 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone -

Reaching out in dire need of some advice/experience/feedback.

After getting several estimates for replacement of 11 windows and a door in my home, I did a final call to Unified Windows and Doors based on an ad I saw in Newsday.

The salesman sold me on Ideal Ultraweld replacement windows...they seemed to have all (or more) of the features of the other windows we looked at, with a total cost that was over 100/window less! In addition, a lifetime transferable warrantee was included.
Windows looked and seemed of quality to me, but this is my first replacement project...I'm green as can be.

I've seen some spotty reviews on Unified and can't find much on Ideal Windows on line. They are a North East, Mid-atlantic manufacturer.

Has anyone had experience with Unified or with Ideal? I could really use the insight. I signed a contract on Saturday and have until Tuesday to cancel if I want to....

Thanks in advance...I'm really appreciative for any insight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 06:18 AM

19,383 posts, read 24,462,169 times
I called unified to get an estimate on siding...met with the guy and he gave me a price of about $8950 for the entire house plus window capping ect... about a week later my husband and I decided to go to the showroom in Patchogue so he could see the product since he was not home at the time of the estimate. We liked the product, lifetime guarantee. The guy I met with came form the Hempstead location. We talked to the person in patchogue and said we were almost ready to go ahead with the job but we needed to make some minor changes to the estimate. No problem. he wrote everything down and faxed it over to this guy in Hempstead and said he'd be in on Monday. Well 2 weeks went by and no one called us back. We finally went with Sears Home Improvements. Call them too. Very professional, upfront about costs and work performed. I would use them for windows when we do decide to do them.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,162,390 times
I got an estimate from Unified for windows and siding, and like you, I'm concerned about the windows from Ideal. I would like to hear also what people have to say about them.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:12 PM

7 posts, read 43,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I got an estimate from Unified for windows and siding, and like you, I'm concerned about the windows from Ideal. I would like to hear also what people have to say about them.

Thanks Tom. Looks like no one has reported anything back yet. I'm really interested to know. If they are equivilent to Simonton or Tri-State and simply less expensive, it is a no-brainer.

that said, I've been burnt before, both by overpaying and by underpaying..so hard to know.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:39 AM

722 posts, read 890,940 times
I have been in the replacement window trade for longer than I would like to admit.
At one time Ideal was a great window, yet reciently have read many mixed reviews . Stay away from Home depot and lowes "cheap" windows.
You want to buy windows from the manufacturer because if there is any warrantee problems your dealing with one company, not the manf. and seller [ IE unified etc] that can blame each other.
Consumers is a OK place to look, but be advised there not 100% on top of the industry.
Angies list is the best but not free.
Tips +++ triple glass is better than double, but "E" glass only works in the summer to keep the suns heat out. Does nothing in cold weather.
Constant force balancers are the best there like tape measure rulers [most manf. use them today]
Aluminum or metal, glass spacers are not as good as Warm edge or TPS spacers . [ they are NOT metal]
Foam filled frames do very little if anything.
Locks ? make sure they are some type of metal [ the entire locking system, not just the outter housing]
Life time warrantee ? on what? READ IT , if the sales guy says other than what you can read get it writting
Designer colors? If it is not color core [scratch it and it is still the same color] it is nothing more than paint.
Installation ? Most installers are subs and or paid piece work. Meaning if the sales guy said don't worry they will replace that ???. Bull. if the installer[s] can't read it on the contract or work order, your not getting it. Unless you or they call the sales guy or Company owner. Get everything I mean everything in writting.
Price ?? yes you will pay more for better quality, but remember your just talking down his Commission. The owner/company has a fixed price on each product. It is called "PAR"
Oh and the sales guys small sample is custom made to be perfect. Remember that little sample will operate easyer than a LARGE full size window. Triple glass is VERY heavy.
Show room tip. Each company will compare there best to the others cheapest window.
Good luck ask questions, research the Net. Ask friends/neighbors who have had there windows for a few years.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 AM

94 posts, read 236,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBuyerandWife View Post
Thanks Tom. Looks like no one has reported anything back yet. I'm really interested to know. If they are equivilent to Simonton or Tri-State and simply less expensive, it is a no-brainer.

that said, I've been burnt before, both by overpaying and by underpaying..so hard to know.
I went with Wincore who are the original manufactures of the Simonton windows. I can tell you they are much better than the ideal windows from Unified.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 PM

90 posts, read 202,736 times
I had 22 Ideal casement windows installed 17 years ago, in that period one of them broke a seal. called the manufacture they looked up my records which had all the window measurements and in two days they were at my home replacing window. Before these i had a few Anderson's which were prone to broken seals and it cost me for every one of those seals. Ideal definitely has my vote.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:04 PM

9,630 posts, read 21,128,886 times
When I replaced the windows in my last two homes, I used Alpha Windows. Was happy with both the product and the installation (had the tilt-out in my last home) and will consider them again, probably in the not too distant future.

The one thing I was not happy with was the installation of the sliding glass door, but I don't have one in my current house.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:24 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,162,390 times
There were too many negative reviews about Unified on Angie's List, I would be proceed with caution if using them.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:41 PM

19,383 posts, read 24,462,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
There were too many negative reviews about Unified on Angie's List, I would be proceed with caution if using them.
Glad we used sears it was more expensive about $13,500 but worth it and since unified never got back to us on a start date for the job that was a clue right there. Luckily we never handed them a deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island