Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times

Advertisements

Just a little off topic for a sec.... I was at my mom's for 2 days. She has optimum and I have Fios. All I have to say is that cablevision sucks and I really missed my Fios. I wish she would switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Just a little off topic for a sec.... I was at my mom's for 2 days. She has optimum and I have Fios. All I have to say is that cablevision sucks and I really missed my Fios. I wish she would switch.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:35 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
$345 for FIOS + wireless. Home line with VM, two iphones (reimbursed by job), 35/35 internet, every single f'n channel, two hi-def DVRs.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:45 AM

195 posts, read 310,567 times
i have to subscribe to the sports and entertainment package for 2 days again and then go through the trouble to calling to cancel it just to see the nhl all star weekend..then i cancel it..(cost ..less than a dollar...) that's my PPV
but to package the Game show network watched mostly by old women with a bunch of lousy sports and hunting channels and charge $7 is really awful..i'd love to meet the cablevision marketing fool who came up with that one.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:12 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
fios triple play with 1 dvr box: bottom line I paid $85 per month
my 1 yr free dvr is up & now is $103.

cablevision is offering me to come back (for the 3rd time in 10 yrs!)...for $70 triple play plus that free dvr & itouch deal. I am tempted but the menu scrolling is just awful.

Also triple play phone component is almost useless to me. I almost never use the home phone anymore. I was so happy to ditch my phone for almost 10 yrs until this triple play offers years ago

Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
$345 for FIOS + wireless. Home line with VM, two iphones (reimbursed by job), 35/35 internet, every single f'n channel, two hi-def DVRs.
wow what are you uploading?!

back when my company was paying for my internet, I only opted for 25/5. They also offer 3 months of free movies all the time but the movies are terrible - not worth it in my opinion. Netflix is only $8. Also trying to get rid of the home line since it rings maybe once a week, if that. Triple play is good value though since we must have some tv/internet.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
What frustrates me is that Cablevision claimed, back in September, that we would get no service without a box, but that they'd give free boxes for a year. So I took 2 free boxes, for a TV that I rarely use. However, they never actually took away the service without a box. Now, they are claiming that on Feb. 21, we will lose the sevice without having a box. But my free boxes expire in September, even though they've been a waste of money so far! So I want free boxes starting in February. They said no at first, but after the phone representative spoke to her boss, they said that if I return the "free" boxes between Feb. 21 and Mar. 21, they will let me get 2 new free ones for a year starting in February. I hope that they will actually honor that. Plus, it's a pain to have to go back to the Optimum store to return 2 boxes, just to get 2 new ones.

It also frustrates me because I use a DVD recorder (I refuse to pay every month for their DVR service) to record programs. But that is very difficult to do when I will no longer be able to get service without the box. Also, it is only possible to record from the old Scientific Atlanta boxes (luckily, I still have one; hope they won't force me to return it), because the newer Samsung boxes (which are the ones they give for "free" for a year) don't have the VCR timer option. However, even then, I sometimes have problem recording, since it claims that I'm trying to record copy protected material. I've called Cablevision several times, and they don't know what I am talking about. Anyone have any experience with recording supposedly "copy protected" material?

Is there any way to convince Cablevision to give me a free DVR? I did get my rates lowered by threatening to switch to FIOS, but they wouldn't give a free DVR. I would prefer not switching to FIOS, since I watch the Knicks on MSG, and because my wife and I both use our Optimum e-mail addresses, and it would be difficult switching e-mail addresses without any overlap time.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:59 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,290 times
$125/mo total for the Ultimate Triple Play - two TVs with standard iO service plus sports pack, 50mbps/8mbps internet, and Voice.

Will probably switch to FIOS when my discount expires this summer unless Cablevision offers to renew the discount.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:12 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I would prefer not switching to FIOS, since I watch the Knicks on MSG, and because my wife and I both use our Optimum e-mail addresses, and it would be difficult switching e-mail addresses without any overlap time.
Verizon FiOS customers will get MSG HD [Update]

I'd start getting a gmail account if I were you. Year after year prices go up for everything, so you don't want to be tied to 1 provider just because of something you can get for free anyway (email).

Old 01-28-2012, 11:19 PM

198 posts, read 779,490 times
Our triple play just ended in December, so i cancelled the whole thing. We barely watch regular TV.

Now we do this:

Cablevision Internet : 52 (with tax)
Hulu PLUS: 7.99
Netflix streaming+ 2 at a time: 25$
Fax Service:6
AmazonPrime- have but never use- but the option is there.
Total : 91

I have 2 TVs, use Roku box on one, Xbox on the other.

We used to pay for hulu+netflix anyway. And there is no other option for high speed internet where i live. The phone we ONLY used for faxing, so now we just use a scanner and the fax service- its better this way as we get PDFs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island