Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 06:32 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
We should hang FAA and FEMA funding up.
The FAA should be privatized, with airports paying for the air traffic controllers.

FEMA should be replaced by optional private insurance.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Crony capitalism at its best.
Crony capitalism, otherwise known as “The Chicago Way”, is an important part of Obama way of doing things.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Make sure everyone is required to get magic immunization shot XYZ by age 12 because the company that makes it is a big fan of mine.
Only when there is an opt-in, not an opt-out, provision.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times

MSNBC's Dylan Ratigan on The Federal Reserve, Media Censorship, Bilderberg @ #occupywallstreet - YouTube

this video is fairly spot on.
Who's going to be at Liberty Park on Wednesday, the 5th?

OpenSecrets.org: Money in Politics -- See Who's Giving & Who's Getting

Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 AM

38 posts, read 32,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Don't want to take sides cause I think they are both bums, but show me where in the last 40 years (or more) a national republican reduced the size of government.
That's the point, the size of government has continued to increase regardless of who is in charge and now it is so big that we are 14 Trillion in debt. This overspending by an oversized government is what prompted people into forming the Tea Party in the first place.

Quote:
There was a name for "Tea party core beliefs," it's called libertarianism and many of us "independents" have been on it for a long time! They took those ideals, misinterpreted them, mangled them, threw in a bunch of right wing social dogma, took a bunch of big name repub money (most of whom now regret it) and slapped a "Republican" sticker on it. It's dumb extremism packaged up and sold by the right wing rich to the right wing poor.
I am also an independent voter, I don't believe that the party system is good for America and I vote for the person not the party. Yes, libertarian ideals are very attractive but I wouldn't say that all independent voters adhere to those ideals, and I wouldn't say that the Tea Party took those ideals and misinterpreted them. The Tea Party ideal is for the most part all about irresponsible taxing and spending, as well as size of government moving away from the constitution. The Tea Party arose in direct reaction to overtaxing, overspending and size of government. To say that the Tea Party is "dumb extremism packaged up and sold by the right wing rich to the right wing poor." is naive to say the least.

Quote:
Rural whites, many, new "govt hating" tea partiers fell in the largest proportion into poverty under Bush/Cheney. Thus when they vote GOP, they vote AGAINST their own interests. Or I'll rephrase that....against their own "BEST" interests.
Not sure where you got your info on who Tea Party members are and what category of income they fall into so that you could deduce their poverty scale, but you should probably do more research. The fact is that Tea Party members span all income levels. Tea Party members are not voting against their own interest, they are voting for the best chance of getting less taxes, less spending, smaller government. They are voting for what they believe is the best for their country and the closest to adherence to the constitution. It's about time that Americans vote according to what is best for our country.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:29 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The FAA should be privatized, with airports paying for the air traffic controllers.

FEMA should be replaced by optional private insurance.
It boggles my mind. Air travel, especially international air travel, has severe national security implications. Your dismissive and casual answers with regards to the FAA don't carry any weight in the real world. Get rid of the TSA, fine - how about Homeland Security? You know, the insanely wasteful government put in by the GOP. Right there you'd make a huge dent... But no, you'll skip that and make the leap to no oversight at all blaming the liberals. I mean, do you even listen to yourself?

Similarly, to the FEMA point. Optional private insurance is code for allowing complete loss and it leads me to believe you disregard your own backyard. Without FEMA, a substantial portion of LI (or really most coastal metros) real estate would be uninsurable... or at least to a point where insurance is cost prohibitive. People won't get it. Then you're suddenly going to completely destroy land values on an already severely suppressed RE market.

and I'm just talking about the upper middle class type folks... For the poor it will be a death sentence should a storm hit and have a repeat of something like Katrina. You'll what - tell the National Guard to check insurance cards as they pick through rubble deciding who they help and who they don't help? I assume you understand the complete role that FEMA plays in this country.

Quote:
Crony capitalism, otherwise known as “The Chicago Way”, is an important part of Obama way of doing things.
Maybe it makes you feel better to take shots at Obama, but you've lived with it forever under other POTUS and you're not going to escape it in 2012. Unless you're deluded enough to think another crooked ego maniacal Texas governor or a "business savvy" Mormon would be any different... They're bought and paid for already.

Your only snowballs chance would be seeing truly smart fiscal conservative guys like Huntsman or Paul get nominated. But the right wing crazies would never give them a chance. Neither is a social conservative - heck, Ron Paul is a true libertarian to the point of almost being a social liberal. Could you imagine the powers that be allowing someone in who would abolish the Fed and do something like end the war on the drugs. It's blasphemy. They'll be lucky to finish in the top 3.

You'll vote for anyone against Obama (in a losing effort in NY anyway) just as the GOP plans it to spite your face. Yet in the end, it will be more of the same.

Quote:
Only when there is an opt-in, not an opt-out, provision.
That makes as much sense as Perry during debates. Classic.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverChessies View Post
The Tea Party arose in direct reaction to overtaxing, overspending and size of government. To say that the Tea Party is "dumb extremism packaged up and sold by the right wing rich to the right wing poor." is naive to say the least.
When all else fails, the secular-progressive-liberal Left falls back on slander and lies, and believes that if you repeat these slanders and lies often enough, some folks might actually believe them.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:42 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverChessies View Post
That's the point, the size of government has continued to increase regardless of who is in charge and now it is so big that we are 14 Trillion in debt. This overspending by an oversized government is what prompted people into forming the Tea Party in the first place.

I am also an independent voter, I don't believe that the party system is good for America and I vote for the person not the party. Yes, libertarian ideals are very attractive but I wouldn't say that all independent voters adhere to those ideals, and I wouldn't say that the Tea Party took those ideals and misinterpreted them. The Tea Party ideal is for the most part all about irresponsible taxing and spending, as well as size of government moving away from the constitution. The Tea Party arose in direct reaction to overtaxing, overspending and size of government. To say that the Tea Party is "dumb extremism packaged up and sold by the right wing rich to the right wing poor." is naive to say the least.

Not sure where you got your info on who Tea Party members are and what category of income they fall into so that you could deduce their poverty scale, but you should probably do more research. The fact is that Tea Party members span all income levels. Tea Party members are not voting against their own interest, they are voting for the best chance of getting less taxes, less spending, smaller government. They are voting for what they believe is the best for their country and the closest to adherence to the constitution. It's about time that Americans vote according to what is best for our country.
To point one, you just validate my point convincingly...WHY would they vote Republican?! The lower and middle class have lost traction so there goes the "trickle down" or lower taxes theory and they certainly haven't reduced the size of govt. If not the social conservatism, then what?! The golden age of Reagan shows raising taxes and massive defense spending can lead to prosperity. Aren't Republicans more enamored with THOSE ideals?! War on drugs, war on terror, spend spend spend, govt govt govt. It's all a crock. Only libertarians want less govt and they are ostracized for it.

Talk about naive. A party is defined by it's candidates for office. Who are the "Tea Party's" candidates?! That is the real point. Is that what they REALLY want?! If so, good luck with that.

So far they have become right wing toadies, throwing bombs and obstructing any reasonable reform.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
... obstructing any reasonable reform.
More code for more gov't and more gov't spending.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:49 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
When all else fails, the secular-progressive-liberal Left falls back on slander and lies, and believes that if you repeat these slanders and lies often enough, some folks might actually believe them.
Another brilliant and insightful one liner with absolutely no substance from the peanut gallery.

Where in ANY of my posts is liberalism? It takes a liberal to think the Tea Party is a crock?! NO, it takes a libertarian to see the Tea Party is the right wing fringe in constitutionalist clothing. Rove wants his money back! Bad investment in that wacky bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island