Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:01 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,021,816 times

Advertisements

Still running A/C, so humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 08:50 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,234,886 times
Nope. I try to hold out as long as possible since this is the only time of year where I can have a low gas bill and a low electric (I guess it is true of the spring too)

Old 10-01-2011, 09:48 AM

257 posts, read 606,990 times
I'm curious about something heat related.......does leaving a window a/c unit in the window opening during the winter waste a lot of heat even if its secured very well?

I have noticed a neighbor leaves their downstairs kitchen window a/c in the window opening year-round. During window they put a cover on it and when I was inside of their house once during winter I noticed they put electrical tape over the opening vents on the inside where the cold air comes out of. They also had tape over the edges and all around where those side things slide out..... The unit looks big to me...a bit bigger then the 8k one in my bedroom window.

They, like us, also heat with fuel oil.....I was going to ask them why they keep it in year-round when they remove an upstairs one from the window in the winter but thought its really none of my business...but I am curious about extra heating cost so that is why I was going to ask them...

My step-dad takes my bedroom one out every fall and puts it back in in the spring...and I can't help but think if it was left in how much xtra fuel oil my room would require to heat it compared to taking it out?

Am I correct in thinking that or not?

Old 10-01-2011, 10:07 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,234,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion Girl View Post
I'm curious about something heat related.......does leaving a window a/c unit in the window opening during the winter waste a lot of heat even if its secured very well?

I have noticed a neighbor leaves their downstairs kitchen window a/c in the window opening year-round. During window they put a cover on it and when I was inside of their house once during winter I noticed they put electrical tape over the opening vents on the inside where the cold air comes out of. They also had tape over the edges and all around where those side things slide out..... The unit looks big to me...a bit bigger then the 8k one in my bedroom window.

They, like us, also heat with fuel oil.....I was going to ask them why they keep it in year-round when they remove an upstairs one from the window in the winter but thought its really none of my business...but I am curious about extra heating cost so that is why I was going to ask them...

My step-dad takes my bedroom one out every fall and puts it back in in the spring...and I can't help but think if it was left in how much xtra fuel oil my room would require to heat it compared to taking it out?

Yes, they do leak heat so if it is one you can remove you should. I only have wall mounted ones and I usually cover them on the outside and use a shrink wrap plasitic on the inside to keep drafts out.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:24 AM

137 posts, read 248,827 times
Quote:
We haven't but I think we will be soon.

How about you?
Nope, haven't run it yet. Though, we really should give it a cleaning & tune up, and then a test run soon, before a real cold snap hits. Let it run for a good 30 minutes or so and make sure that all is well. [Also, I need to dial up the standing temps. We turn that up/down for winter/summer. Saves a little more oil.] One of my SILs that lives on LI has run hers twice so far, but she has a wee babe in the house.

Quote:

We take out the small window A/Cs for the bedrooms every fall. Some heat can be lost through them, but it really depends on how well you've covered them & sealed the seams & vents. The big through-the-wall living room unit stays put, of course, with proper covers and seals. The covers aren't just for reducing heat loss, they're also for reducing the chances of ice damage to the exterior of the unit.

[I did hear a tale once of a huge icicle dropping off of an eave and crashing into the exterior of an A/C unit, ruining it. Can't swear that the tale is true, but it seems plausible. Though, it seems to me that I'd hear of that a lot more if it were such a common event.]

Old 10-01-2011, 03:30 PM

22,646 posts, read 36,614,732 times
We had a window AC that was too big to remove every year...I used to put a cover on the outside and then cover the whole thing with that plastic insulating window covering stuff and then close curtains over that. Was never thrilled with that setup though and was happy to see it go when we renovated.

Used to remove the smaller window ACs every fall.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:47 PM

377 posts, read 658,728 times
Still have the central air on.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:29 PM

46 posts, read 148,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
Still have the central air on.
same here, when its consistently 68Âș or below during the day, I'll shut off the CAC and open the windows.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:07 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,684,679 times
Up in albany this weekend....need heat here.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:26 AM

20,879 posts, read 28,244,191 times
My brother is in chicago and he said it was 5o yesterday. It was chilly last night but I won't turn on the heat till november first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: