Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 AM

426 posts, read 960,210 times

Advertisements

Which area has the lowest taxes, and which area would you say has the cheapest housing values?

The area of Hauppauge I am mostly inquiring about is the area right by the mouth of the Northern state parkway, near areas like Old Willets Path, New Highway and Oser Avenue. (Actually, is this area still considered Hauppauge, or is it Commack?)

I have been told the property taxes can range anywhere from 8K to 15K depending on the house and property, which is a pretty big range.....

I also like Commack, areas that are right off Commack Road north of the LIE such as Cedar Ridge Lane and Village Hill Drive....

Smithtown is a little north for my liking but areas near the Smithtown train station are preferred, since I commute to the city twice a week for work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 11:48 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
When looking at Commack and Hauppauge, bear in mind that each of these hamlets is partly in two different towns.

The following maps are from the 2000 Census; the 2010 Census may have different borders for each of these hamlets.

A map of the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Huntington and the Town of Smithtown, Suffolk County:

A map of the Hamlet of Hauppauge in the Town of Smithtown and the Town of Islip, Suffolk County:

A map of the Hamlet of Smithtown in the Town of Smithtown, Suffolk County:

Old 10-04-2011, 11:48 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Which area has the lowest taxes, and which area would you say has the cheapest housing values?

The area of Hauppauge I am mostly inquiring about is the area right by the mouth of the Northern state parkway, near areas like Old Willets Path, New Highway and Oser Avenue. (Actually, is this area still considered Hauppauge, or is it Commack?)

I have been told the property taxes can range anywhere from 8K to 15K depending on the house and property, which is a pretty big range.....

I also like Commack, areas that are right off Commack Road north of the LIE such as Cedar Ridge Lane and Village Hill Drive....

Smithtown is a little north for my liking but areas near the Smithtown train station are preferred, since I commute to the city twice a week for work...
If your concern is taxes, you want to be in Hauppauge School District. It doesn't matter what township/hamlet/whatever you look in, it's the school district that affects taxes. Hauppauge SD has significantly lower taxes than Smithtown or Commack schools regardless of what Hamlet you look in.

I've been looking in this area for awhile..the big issue with most of the neighborhoods south of vets is that there are high tension wires running through the middle of most of them. You may or may not be concerned about their potential health affects, but they do have serious effect on resale value, which is why many of the houses that are within a few hundred feet of them have been sitting on the market for a LONG time.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:20 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,978 times
There are homes with Smithtown and Commack addresses that are in Hauppauge schools. Parts of Hauppauge are also in the Town of Islip.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post

Isn't that Dix Hills?

Old 10-04-2011, 01:57 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Isn't that Dix Hills?
There are some people who call the area of Deer Park south of the LIE "Dix Hills South" because it goes to HH Hills SD.

For the most part, Hamlets on Long Island are second to school district when it comes to house hunting. Yes, your mailing address may say Deer park, but if you pay taxes and send you kids to HH SD...that's a pretty significant improvement over Deer Park that's in Deer Park SD.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 PM

Default A map of the Half Hollow Hills Central School District

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Half Hollow Hills Central School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Dix Hills, the Hamlet of Deer Park, the Hamlet of Wheatley Heights, the Hamlet of Wyandanch, the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, the Hamlet of Melville, the Hamlet of West Hills and the Hamlet of South Huntington.

A map of the Half Hollow Hills Central School District:

Old 10-04-2011, 02:47 PM

Default A map of the Commack Union Free School District

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Commack Union Free School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Commack, the Hamlet of Kings Park, the Hamlet of Smithtown, the Hamlet of Hauppauge and the Hamlet of Dix Hills.

A map of the Commack Union Free School District:

Old 10-04-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There are some people who call the area of Deer Park south of the LIE "Dix Hills South" because it goes to HH Hills SD.

For the most part, Hamlets on Long Island are second to school district when it comes to house hunting. Yes, your mailing address may say Deer park, but if you pay taxes and send you kids to HH SD...that's a pretty significant improvement over Deer Park that's in Deer Park SD.
OP was describing area NORTH of LIE. Looks like Dix Hills, not Commack.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
OP was describing area NORTH of LIE. Looks like Dix Hills, not Commack.
The eastern part of the Hamlet of Dix Hills, north of the LIE, is in the Commack Union Free School District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island