Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The Capitol Building, The White House are old, out-of-date structures which 'We the People' waste money on preserving.

Maybe we should raze them, hire a bunch of day laborers and build a McTaco White House complete with fucco?

Would you lay the Parthenon to waste? Implode the Leaning Tower of Pisa? Condemn the Sistine Chapel because it had leaks? Level the Flatiron building because it has a steel skeleton and you fear rust?

Someone mentioned the Newport Mansions -- many of the Gold Coast mansions were of a similar background. Preserving them allows us a look back into an era when there was untold wealth and greed, no taxes, and what was expected of society of that era.

Would you wreck a 57 Chevy Bel Air because it had fallen into disrepair? Crush the remnants of a station wagon because the wood had dry rotted?

Buiildings, like other older items, need to be evaluated for preservation based upon their cultural, historical and architectural significance.

Well put
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,850 times
I used to work in one of those North SHore Mansions. I had a heck of a time concentrating during meetings because I was concentrating on the beauty of the building - the intricate carvings on the ceilings, the marble fireplaces. Every time I looked at them I'd see something new.
This mansion had the largest indoor pipe organ in the US. We tried for many years to get it working, but to no avail.
Eventually, the cost of upkeep became too much, and the offices were moved elsewhere, and the mansion rented out to other parties.
Such a shame - I missed that place.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
There are many groups and orgs. that will accept donations from people that want to preserve old buildings.Me I can hardly afford to pay my taxes here on Long Island so i am left out of the equation.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:50 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Many of these mansions were built pre-income tax and when property taxes were, let's say, more reasonable.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:08 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
The Capitol Building, The White House are old, out-of-date structures which 'We the People' waste money on preserving.

Maybe we should raze them, hire a bunch of day laborers and build a McTaco White House complete with fucco?

Would you lay the Parthenon to waste? Implode the Leaning Tower of Pisa? Condemn the Sistine Chapel because it had leaks? Level the Flatiron building because it has a steel skeleton and you fear rust?

Someone mentioned the Newport Mansions -- many of the Gold Coast mansions were of a similar background. Preserving them allows us a look back into an era when there was untold wealth and greed, no taxes, and what was expected of society of that era.

Would you wreck a 57 Chevy Bel Air because it had fallen into disrepair? Crush the remnants of a station wagon because the wood had dry rotted?

Buiildings, like other older items, need to be evaluated for preservation based upon their cultural, historical and architectural significance.
LOL! Almost spit my coffee on my monitor!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I just watched a travel show on tv last night and I was shocked at the plight of the old mansions on the Gold Coast. Many have been bulldozed, some lay vacant and in disrepair, others replaced with hideous housing developments. Is anything being done to save these beautiful homes?
Can you tell me the name of the show and what network it was on? I would like to watch it when it comes on again.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times
Quote:

You're really going to make stupid comparisons, the white house, really, should i even begin with comparisons to some dilapidated pos

If a 57 chevy is that bad, it's useless, as ANYONE knows once the majority of its originality is gone, there is no longer anything worth saving..
Only hoarders think differently....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
There is definatley history surrounding the pictures of the mansion I just posted.
What history would that be ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Well put

Oh yeah, great examples, the white house, and dilapidated abandoned junk.
Kinda like comparing a Ferrari F150 to your toaster...

Well put... lol right....

Old 10-05-2011, 12:12 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Can you tell me the name of the show and what network it was on? I would like to watch it when it comes on again.
I thought is was on PBS. The host travels around the country to major metropolitan areas but to spots many people no very little about. On last night's show it was around New York. He went to an very large abandoned shipyard on Staten Island where there were abandoned ships and tugboats from decades ago. Then he went to an island between NY and NJ where people were kept with small pox and other diseases for years. I saw his show a few months ago and he toured this abandoned Nazi hideaway in Malibu from the 40's. That was eerie! Anyway,

Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
You're really going to make stupid comparisons, the white house, really, should i even begin with comparisons to some dilapidated pos

If a 57 chevy is that bad, it's useless, as ANYONE knows once the majority of its originality is gone, there is no longer anything worth saving..
Only hoarders think differently....

What history would that be ?

Oh yeah, great examples, the white house, and dilapidated abandoned junk.
Kinda like comparing a Ferrari F150 to your toaster...

Well put... lol right....

Old Long Island: The William P.T. Preston Sr. Estate
What is your problem with preserving LI history? You seem very disgruntled about all of this. are you uptight?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,182 times
Dear I_Love_LI_but,

I also saw the show last night. The name of the show is "Off Limits" which airs on the Travel Channel. This is one video from the segment which is currently on-line. They don't have the full episode available yet but I am sure they will air the show again. It was all about New York which included ruins from Staten Island, Governor's Island and, of course, Long Island. This video was to show one of mansions which still exist and is not in ruins, Oheka Castle - [url=http://www.travelchannel.com/Video/long-islands-opulent-past-16164]Long Island's opulent past - Off Limits Video - Travel Channel[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island