Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2011, 12:50 PM
 
573 posts, read 1,244,176 times
Reputation: 328

Advertisements

Oh man, I love this beer distributor, new ownership took over within the past few years and really diversified the selection, installed taps for growlers. Can't believe this!

Wantagh Beverage Distributor Doubled as Drug Front - Smithtown Radio - News, Weather, Traffic & Music

From the article:

"Suffolk County Police, working with the Nassau County Police Department, Tuesday arrested four men on various drug charges after it was discovered heroin was being sold out of a beverage distributor that was located adjacent to two schools in Wantagh."

This is the one right next to the high school. It's funny because I always wondered how they managed to stay afloat, I figured they couldn't be doing that well selling obscure beers, I guess this is how they did it! I think I've dealt with the owner when inside, really nice guy, can't believe this happened.

Anyone else from the Wantagh/Levittown/Seaford area (Wantagh resident myself) visit this distributor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2011, 01:01 PM
 
2,630 posts, read 5,002,987 times
Reputation: 1776
Wowee. I got a propane refill there recently. Was surprised by the oddball selection of boutique beers. Crazy if it's true. The HS, MS AND admin offices are all within 1/4 mile (literally)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 01:37 PM
 
8 posts, read 13,683 times
Reputation: 10
Buy Heroin Here | Long Island Press
it's in our backyards....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2011, 01:49 PM
 
573 posts, read 1,244,176 times
Reputation: 328
That's one of the reasons I always wondered if/how the place was profitable - it's on a dead end street next to the high school, it is not really visible from Wantagh avenue as there's a few stores in front of it (Saporito I think), and a lot of times I walked in there would be like 4 people just hanging around, some smoking cigarettes, and I wasn't sure if they were just friends of the owner/employees or actual employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,186 times
Reputation: 10
I hope the liquor authority does there job and pulls his liquor license. Residents of wantagh ban together and boycott this business. The owner did not care about our children when he got involved with this! Together let's force him out of town and make a statement to the world that we will not tolerate this in our town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 AM
 
2,630 posts, read 5,002,987 times
Reputation: 1776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freigl View Post
I hope the liquor authority does there job and pulls his liquor license. Residents of wantagh ban together and boycott this business. The owner did not care about our children when he got involved with this! Together let's force him out of town and make a statement to the world that we will not tolerate this in our town!
In fairness the reports say there is no evidence the owner knew anything about it. Why he hired kids from the Bronx is a mystery, though. Sort of suspicious. No local 20 somethings looking for a job!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 AM
 
13,513 posts, read 17,055,235 times
Reputation: 9691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freigl View Post
I hope the liquor authority does there job and pulls his liquor license. Residents of wantagh ban together and boycott this business. The owner did not care about our children when he got involved with this! Together let's force him out of town and make a statement to the world that we will not tolerate this in our town!
I'm not saying the guy is innocent or guilty, but just because one of his employees was selling dope out of there it doesn't mean he was in on it. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. The owner was not arrested on a drug charge, read the report throughly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 07:33 AM
 
4 posts, read 6,543 times
Reputation: 10
Thumbs up Nice try

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
In fairness the reports say there is no evidence the owner knew anything about it. Why he hired kids from the Bronx is a mystery, though. Sort of suspicious. No local 20 somethings looking for a job!?
In all fairness, the landlord of the building may lose ownership because of a drug seizure on the premesis. The store owner who is there almost all the time, should at least be aware of whats happening under his roof. This is not a large place, and he only needs to oversee 3 employees in a retail store at 315 in the afternoon, not 300 people in a huge warehouse.
Since you think you know the store, you probably know he only holds a deli beer license, not a NYS beer disrtibutor license. Just on that fact, he may lose his right to sell beer, he never had the right to call himself a beer distributor.
Maybe instead of defending the drug dealing going on under our noses, we should all band together like Freigl was saying, and push this out of our town. I'm sure legitimate businesses will replace the illegal fronts popping up all over town. We live here, it is our town and we pay high property taxes to keep it a safe place for our children. Lets fight to keep it that way, and accept zero tolerance for this kind of activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,966 posts, read 34,752,710 times
Reputation: 7724
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
In fairness the reports say there is no evidence the owner knew anything about it. Why he hired kids from the Bronx is a mystery, though. Sort of suspicious. No local 20 somethings looking for a job!?

Quote:
Arrested as a result of this operation were:
□ Jason Cruz, 21, of the Bronx, on five counts of Criminal Sale of a Controlled Substance 3rd Degree and five counts of Criminal Sale of a Controlled Substance In or Near School Grounds.
□ Jeffrey Marmolejos, 22, of the Bronx, on one count of Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance 3rd Degree.
□ Michael Schwartzman, 44, of Deer Park, on an active Suffolk County warrant. Schwartzman is also the owner of the store.
□ Michael Pfister, 22, of Wantagh, on one count of Unlawful Possession of Marijuana.
I was curious about the owner, Michael Schwartzman, and his 'active Suffolk County warrant.'

Cops Bust Heroin Storefront Near 2 Wantagh Schools | Long Island Press

Quote:
Schwartzman had a warrant out for his arrest in Suffolk County for suspended license and false impersonation charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2011, 07:41 AM
 
4 posts, read 6,543 times
Reputation: 10
Default Reading the whole thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm not saying the guy is innocent or guilty, but just because one of his employees was selling dope out of there it doesn't mean he was in on it. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't. The owner was not arrested on a drug charge, read the report throughly.
No, the owner was arrested for criminal impersonation in Suffolk County, the Suffolk Police then followed up with a drug investigation of the man's business location. Do you think they investigate every traffic stop this way or that the owner was so suspicious acting that the police from ANOTHER COUNTY had to open an expensive undercover operation?
By the way, he is now open and operating, selling to our children even as I type. That alone is making me furious considering that it is an ONGOING investigation by the Liquor Authority and the police from two counties. Yes, innocent until proven guilty, but what, you need him to sell smack to YOUR kids before you say something?

Last edited by Michael Barr; 10-07-2011 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top