Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:09 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,294,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
Fortunately for me, my wife's parents had a lot of extra money "laying around" and were able to help us out with the down payment on our house a bit. Now, I am all for doing things on your own, but tell me, if your parents had the money and offered it to you, would you take it? I for one do not think I am spoiled, nor am I rich by any means of the word, and neither are her parents, they live in a small 3 bedroom cape in valley stream for over 30 years, paid the house off, and bought the house next door to them, which they rent out, so they were frugal with their money and able to help us out. I appreciate it more than you can imagine, but trust me, it doesn't make me clueless or spoiled in any sense of the word, it is just a direct result of the situation around here.
If my parents offered me money for a house, I would not take it. I like doing it on my own, as you said. Where's the sense of accomplishment if you have help? JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 02:13 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,730,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm 26 and while I live at home, my parents basically told me they are not helping me out financially at all. I pay my own bills, I cook & buy my own food and when the time comes for a house and a wedding, they are not helping me one bit.
If you are 26 and living at home, your parents are, in fact, helping you out financially. At a minimum, I see $1000 per month rent for 5 years. That makes about $60,000 that they have subsidized you since you turned 21.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:28 PM

208 posts, read 911,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If my parents offered me money for a house, I would not take it. I like doing it on my own, as you said. Where's the sense of accomplishment if you have help? JMO.
Oh come on, you are saying you would rather live at home with them then get your own house if they helped you a little bit??

You are a rare individual if that is the case that's for sure, I do wish you best of luck, you will need it if that is your stance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island